Blood in Diaper for 2Mths Now

I know there have been questions about this before on this site but I can't find an answer...

Since about a week after we got home from the hospital I noticed blood in my son's stool. I tried cutting out dairy-then dairy and soy-then they wanted me to go on an elimination diet so we could determine what was hurting his insides. I tried it for a day but I couldn't do it-I mean it's really tough to eat rice, fruits and veggies and turkey for two weeks! We've gone and had blood tests done and he is loosing blood so the doctor is nervous that he could need a blood transfusion if this continues... I currently am on a no dairy, nuts, gluten, eggs, beef, chicken, bananas, citrus, tomatoes diet. And I am trying to limit the amount of corn, soy, caffiene and food colorings I eat. I'm going to try to be extremely good about what I eat for the next week or so before we do some more tests for blood in his stool because I admit I have cheated a little bit (its hard not to when you have guests visiting and they want to eat out and you can't eat anything on the menu).

Should we get a second opinion? The doctor wants us to switch to formula soon if it doesn't improve. I really want to continue nursing him though. I just don't know what to do... I am getting so tired of eating this way so tired of wondering what is going on and what is hurting him!

Any advice?

Well, I got a second opinion. Found out his heart rate was higher than normal and the doctor said the same as our usual doctor. Seems as though we need to put him on formula at least until he is healed inside. A GI specialist told our usual doctor that even if we scoped him we wouldn't see anything because he needs to heal first.

I started formula with him two days ago, but he won't take a bottle now! He was drinking out of one till about a month ago and then I stopped because my milk had come in a lot stronger. I have tried mixing formula and breastmilk, tried having dad give the bottle, tried before nursing, in the middle and after. Boy he sure doesn't want it-he arches his back, extends his legs and puts his head way back. I'm just going to keep trying every day. I got him to suck on it a bit last night, but he didn't drink anything.

Thanks for all the advice though!

Did that Dr. rule out everything else that could be wrong. How does he know this is happening because of what you are eating? It could be something that is a birth defect in his colon/intestines or even right in his anus. Who knows, but, something has to be looked at besides what you are eating. Like Ladybug said, get him to Children's Hosp. to be seen. Now.

I would get a 2nd opinion, but do not feel badly if you have to switch to formula. The formulas they have today are just as good for babies as breast milk and formula babies are just as healthy. All that stuff about more ear infections and getting sick easier is just plain not true. It may have been true back when they used karo syrup and powdered milk to supplement, but not now with the new formulas they have.

Get yourself to a pediatric GI specialist and do not try formula until then. Even specialized formulas like alimentum are MORE LIKELY to either make no difference or even worsen the condition.
To be very honest with you, it sounds like your pediatrician doesn't know what he's doing and simply fishing in murky waters. You son needs a complete diagnostic work up by a specialist. Blood samples, stool samples, diagnostic imaging of his GI tract, maybe a colonoscopy (and yes, they can be done on infants).
It does not seem that there has been an effort to make sure that this indeed is a dietary thing, it may be something pathological that needs to be taken care of. Even newborns can have polyps, ulcers and a host of other causes for intestinal bleeding. Another possible thing to look into is blood/clotting disorders which make him more susceptible for loosing larger amounts of blood.
GET A SECOND OPINION!

Please get a second opinion and please, please, please do not switch to formula. Breastmilk is not only food, it is *medicine* it has antibodies, antibacterial properties, ant-fungal properties. It is incredible the number of things that are beneficial about breastmilk. Formula is made from either cow's milk or soy and both of those are very common allergens for babies. If your son's problem is indeed caused by food allergies (and I'm not convinced of that) formula will not help!

Lots of things in life are hard, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do them. It's a very short time in your life to follow an elimination diet and it's for a very good cause. I have a feeling if you stop breast-feeding and switch to formula that the issue could get worse..

Formula causes the digestive system to slow down and the stools to become hard. If your baby has intestinal damage the formula could seriously cause lifelong issues. Not to mention the lifelong guilt that you'll feel for not trying your hardest. I read the threads from formula feeders every day and most of them are guilty!

You can do it! Good luck.

Tell your doctor you want to be refered to a pediatric GI doctor immediately. 2 months is rediculous for this to go on.

Don't wait!

If you really want to continue to nurse him then you really, really have to be strict about the elimination diet. That is the only way you will know if it works and is the solution to your problem. If you can't do that then you need to switch to formula. I really hate to say that because I am very pro-breastfeeding but if it's going to cause harm to a little one then a significant change has to be made. You need to decide today if you are going to make the commitment to stick strictly to the elimination diet and see if that helps and continue breastfeeding or go the formula route. It's unfair to your son to do it any other way.

Has he been seen by a pediatric hematologist? That is blood doctor. I would request to see a hematologist along with seeing a pediatric allergist.

I have an incredibly hard time believing that a chemical made in a lab (formula) could possibly be better for your son than breastmilk. If your baby is losing so much blood that he's looking at a transfusion, there is probably something more seriously wrong than food allergies. I ditto what a couple of other moms have said: get him to a children's hospital quickly, or at least get a second opinion from another pedi.

IMO, if you are unable to commit to dietary changes in order to find out what is wrong with your son, you need to quit breastfeeding and start him on formula. He is losing blood! How terrible for him if all that needs to change is his diet. I am also with the consensus to get a 2nd opinion. Although, I assert that 5 opinions won't matter if you are not going to follow the advice that is given.

Okay....don't take this wrong, but your baby is bleeding out his hiney.
You tried the elimination diet for one day and couldn't do it. They weren't asking you to starve yourself.
That said, you DO need a second opinion because regardless of what you do or do not eat, you baby is having blood in his diaper.
Is he constipated and straining to the point it makes his tushy bleed or is it an intestinal thing?
I personally wouldn't mess around with waiting to see if it was something I was eating. I mean, if that's the case, put your baby on formula and see if it clears up. I'm pro breast feeding, but your baby having blood in his stool to the point he may need a transfusion?....and you're tired of the diet?.....
Give him some formula. If it clears up, you know it helped, but in the meantime, get him to another doctor. Right away. This sounds serious.

1 / 3