Blood in Baby's Stool

Dear Moms,
I noticed a tinge of blood with my baby's (5 month old) stool. Since I'm breastfeeding, the doctor put me on a strict diet (No: dairy, eggs, soy, eggs, nuts, fish, shellfish) to see if what I'm eating has possibly given my baby an allergy. We will go back to the doctor in 2 weeks to test her stool again for blood. If we find that there is still blood there, they might need to do a GI scoping and/or place her on hypo-allergenic formula. I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this and what the outcome had been. Thanks so much! R.

My baby had the same problem, at 2 months old. My doctor told me to put the baby on formula and for me to stop eating diary, eggs, soy, nuts, fish, chocolate, etc. just like you. It seemed really extreme so I spoke to a lactaction consultant who told me it was most likely the dairy in my diet. I eliminated all dairy for about 3 months. The problem went away pretty fast. I slowly reintroduced dairy into my diet a few months later and my daughter had no problem. She is 14 months old now and still breastfeeding. She drinks cow's milk as well and she has no problem with that either.

My friend had this happen and she was only breastfeeding as well. once she stopped all the dairy and soy it went away. It was very hard because there is milk in almost EVERYTHING we eat. But it actually made her feel better as well. Be very careful about going the formula route. Just last week there was a story out about melamine being in nestle good start. that is the same chemical found in the Chinese formaulas.

good luck!

kellymom.com is a great go-to site for breastfeeding questions. It has a pretty informative article on bloody stool in babies. I hope it doesn't interfere with breasfeeding.

My 15-year old daughter had the same issue as a baby. At 6 weeks, she had blood in her stool and I rushed into the pediatrician's. He said it was probably due to a sensitivity to dairy in my diet since I was breastfeeding exclusively. However, he sent us to a pediatric internal specialist who told me to wean my daughter immediately and put her on Neutramigen. She also wanted to do a lower GI exam, which is not without risks, by the way. I decided to get a second opinion from another specialist, who told me this problem is very common. He encouraged me to continue breastfeeding, which is what I wanted to do and try eliminating all dairy from my diet. He would only do further testing on my baby if she did not improve. Well, within a week of my adhering to the diet, my daughter had no symptoms. Later, if I slipped up and had a little milk, we would see a little blood, but that only happened two times that I can remember. I am so glad to this day that I was not convinced to abandon breastfeeding because both mom and baby would have lost out unnecessarily. My daughter was able to start taking dairy products by about age two, without trouble and has no apparent food allergies now. I wish you and your daughter the best of health and happiness!

I can tell you my experience with this. We found blood in my daughters stool when she was 6mo. We pt her on the most extensive safe foods for her on solids and I stopped eating dairy and soy for a few weeks and there was still blood we put her on the hypo-allergenic formula and I stopped BF her finally at around 11 months because we didn't know what else to do. Guess what the blood was still there and I missed out on the breastfeeding relationship that I wanted. In all honestly if the only thing your seeing is a little blood and no other problems I wouldn't even worry about it. Sometime around 15mo my daughter outgrew this. Oh all her allergy testing came back neg.

good luck!

its most likely an allergy to what your eating. thats on the good end of the spectrum. on the bad in it could be as bad as salmonella poisoning (which unless you have snakes lizards gone to a petting zoo recently then i doubt this is it). that is a horrible thing to go through and it can be deadly. this causes blood in the stool lethargy all kinds of things. my nephews had it from being touch after their older sister was touching her lizards (even after washing her hands). they were hospitalized for over a week and went home with pic lines in their arm that delivered medication directly into their heart. this illness almost killed one of them they caught it right before it entered the spinal fluid (if it went to the spinal fluid there was nothing they could do). this compromised their immune system for a year. i dont honestly think that your baby has this sickness but its good to be aware of this. i do think however it is just an allergy to something your eating. you should request an allergy test by blood. good luck!

My (entirely bf-ed) daughter had this happen a couple of times when she was tiny, and it turned out to be an small anal fissure. However, it *can* be a sign of something more serious, and it's always important to get it checked out.

When it happened the second time with my daughter, we made an appointment to do a full GI trace, but the appointment was a couple of months away. By the time it rolled around, I was content that she was fine and we just cancelled it.

Don't panic, but do take your doctor's seriously and get to the bottom of it (pun intended).

this happened to my 4 month old as well. my pediatrician said he's allergic to something i ate. he didn't mention specifically milk, and i don't think my baby was allergic to milk either. actually, i think it might be lamb or shrimp my baby is allergic to, since those were the 2 food items i ate before the bloody stool episode that were out of my ordinary diet. i started keeping a food diary and eat what i usually eat, and just avoided "strange" food, like seafood or lamb or whatever i don't usually eat. my pediatrician wasn't alarmed at all. it seems like this happens quite often. anyways, i didn't even keep a strict hypo-allergenic diet. i just eat what i usually eat and not eat food that i usually don't eat, and the bloody stool hasn't happened again. so you may not have to be too alarmed at this. hope your baby is ok soon.

Same thing happened to us, we found out at 4 weeks that there was blood in my Daughters stool, I've been on a diary free diet ever since. After further testing the blood was no longer there and her skin got better too! Have you noticed dry patches on your son's skin?? We are hoping that she grows out of this allergy, from what I understand most babies grow out of it between 6 and 12 months.

good luck and try not too worry too much.

1 / 3