Blood in My 4 Month Old's Stool

Just starting today I have noticed blood in my baby's stool. He is still 100% breastfed. I am taking an antibiotic now for mastitus (sp?) - Keflex but it is supposed to be safe for the baby.

His poop is a normal yellowish/green in color but the last 3 poops today have included some relatively bright red blood. I would say maybe about 1/2 teaspoon worth combined.

We have made a doctor's appointment but wanted to know if anyone had any ideas. They didn't say go to the E.R. but I'm starting to worry. Please let me know if anyone has gone through this - good or bad. Thanks in advance.

This is a very helpful guide to baby poop:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/pediatricks/poop.asp

I know of several babies that had bright blood in their stools, and it was a dairy intolerance. I bet the Dr. suspects this, and that's why they are having you wait. The green in the stool is another indication of dairy intolerance (usually will outgrow it)

Mommy,

Usually Pediatritians offices are good about having the doctor call you back if you ask. I took to this method before making an appt. and exposing the little one to the office germs. A lot of times the doctor will say to watch it for a while, or they'll say you need to bring baby in.

Just a tip. Hope baby's OK.

Catching up on last week's e-mails, hopefully you got some helpful responses.
My co-worker's fourth month old son had the same problem. She had been on an antiboic for a urinary tract infection. The second urologist they took their baby to see, told them in some cases as the the infection is leaving the mother it can enter the baby's system via the breast milk - when the doctor took a culture - sure enough the baby tested posiitve for that urniary infection! They treated him and he is now healthy and gaining weight.

Mommy,

Just a tip. Hope baby's OK.

I have had this same trouble with my now 7 month old...the first time it happened he was about 4 months old...he had not pooped for 30 hours, then when he pooped there was blood which continued in every poop for over 2 days. The docotr saw him and determined that he had "torn" himself when forcefully pooping and passing gas. A day later he had a little tear on the outside of his anus...which had not been there the day before, we had to just keep it lubricated on the outside and wait it out. I change my diet a little to make sure he wouldn't get as gassy and it did clear up within a week or so. We have had to be real careful about diaper rash and keeping it lubricated ever since. We wear changing about 15 diapers a day as the slightest pee or poop meant changing his diaper to make sure it didn't get worse. It happed again about a month ago, just after starting solids. the rice cereal constipated him, so he didn't poop for 2 days, then when he did there was blood in it from forcefully pushing it out. We just have to keep watch at what he eats and be careful not to give him constipating foods.

DO go see the doctor, as you never know what the cause is, but if it is minimal (which is sounds like it is), then its likely something minor. If he's pooping more frequent or its more loose (hard to tell with breastfed babies), there might be something else going on.

Alicia,
My sister went through the same thing with her daughter. She found out that her daughter was lactose intolerant meaning all the dairy my sister was eating her daughter couldn't process. She had to go on a very strict diet until she weened her daughter off breastmilk. Even now (she's almost 21 months old) she can't have dairy. If you are that worried call your doctor (his pediatrician) and say I am very worried is there an earlier appointment or nicely demand one.

M. P

My firstborn had this and she was strictly breastfed also. I did ask the doctor and they told me it was my hormones coming out. If your doctors appointment is soon and you still have the diaper, take it with you. Try not to worry, babies will pick up on your emotions. I'm sure your doctor will be abe to figure this out.

My daughter had this too off and on. I went to the doctor several times and thet were never too concerned. She hasn;t had it in about 2 months now!!

Alicia,

He may have C. Defficile (c. diff.)which can be treated with medication, you should see a doctor right away. Did you tell the appointment person what was going on? They usually will get you in right away. My son had it when he was almost 3 months old. I'd google it and get info on it. We took our son to the ER, make sure you save a sample so they can test it. Just keep the diaper and take it to your appointment. If you go to children's hospital they can do the test of the sample pretty quickly, I don't know about the doctors office. Ask to talk to a nurse practitioner if you can't talk to the doctor directly. Now it's coming back to me...our doctor told us to go to Children's hospital. You don't want to have to go in only to have to be reffered somewhere else. Good luck!

1 / 3