Bloated Stomach

My 2 year old looks like she has a bloated stomach most of the time. I mean it looks like she is pregnant. We asked the pediatrician and he had a CT Scan and X-ray done on her abdomen area but nothing showed up. He thinks maybe she is constipated some because she's had a few hard poops that have caused a little bleeding because it ripped. However, she is getting a little more regular on her poops and he wants us to give her Miralax each day. But when she has Miralax it seems like all she does it eat and poop...which isn't good either.

Does anyone else have a child with a bloated stomach? Anything suggestions on what to do? Should we get a second opinion? Thanks!

My son is 4 and just had the same thing. He was so constipated that it sent him to the ER and they had to admit him. They wanted to take 2 caps full Miralax a day. He was going a lot so I asked the dr and they cut the dose. He is still on Miralax, but I tell you I would rather him go a couple of times a day with ease than seeing him go through that again in the hospital!!! It will get better!!

You might want to watch what she is eating. She could be allergic to say wheat products or gluten. You also may want to get a second opinion from another doctor. The Miralax just treats the symptoms but does not help to find the cause of her bloating. Good luck!

I have been where you are. The best part about Mirilax is that it is a powder. You do not have to use the full dose if you feel that it is too much. I put a 1/2 a teaspoon in my son's juice each morning and another 1/2tsp to 1 tsp later in the day in a pudding or yogurt if he has yet to have a bowel movement yet. So long as he is going on a regular basis and is not constipated the full dose is not necessary. (My sister-in-law is a pediatrician and she said this was fine and safe)

I would get second opinion---have her checked for Sprue- or gluten intollerance. We had 2 children with bloating, but they had very many painful, diarrlea stools a day--20 to 30, so that doesn't quite fit, but have her checked to make sure she is absorbing her milk and other foods. PR

Here are a few ideas you may want to consider:
1) Probiotics
2) Digestive enzymes
3) Increase fiber naturally with fruit, veggies & whole grains
Adding Benefiber would be a somewhat more natural help than
Miralax which to my understanding is basically a laxative
4) 1/2 her body weight in ounces of water/day (30lbs=15 oz)
5) 1 tsp of olive oil or flax oil/day will promote regularity
Also flax is a good source of omega 3's
6) Find a good chiropractor who is knowledgable about
Standard Process whole food supplements.
7) A warm glass of water first thing in the morning has been
known produce a BM
8) You could alway give her an enema to clean out the colon
and get it on it's way to recovery.
If she starts having regular bowel movements and still looks bloated I would definitely get another opinion or if you don't feel comfortable with the first diagnosis I would get a second opinion or a third... One of the most important things I've learned in the last five years of motherhood is to ALWAYS TRUST YOUR GUT!!
God Bless

M.,
This is a prime age for children to begin showing symptoms of food sensitivities. It sounds like your little girl's body may not like something she is eating. If you have access to a Naturopathic Doctor, then you may want to consult one (an ND has saved our two year old son's life - he was highly sensitive to several proteins, including cow's milk and soy). If you can't consult an ND, you may want to check the internet for typical food sensitivities and try eliminating one at a time (i.e. no milk/dairy for one week) and see if it helps. Also, it is worth asking your doctor for IGg testing (he may). Wishing all the best for you and your baby's belly. J.

My child looks similar and I've heard many moms refer to this as toddler tummy. Many of them have big tummies that look bloated. I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong, but maybe it's just normal. You've obviously talked to your doctor about it. Is your doctor concerned or is he/she running the tests basically for you? Also, what build is your daughter? My son didn't look like this so much when he was little, but my daughter does. She is terribly skinny too. My son, not so skinny.

my 2 1/2 year old daughter is bloating all the time
i went to the hospital cause she was in pain all the time screaming up in the night
they told me she was constipated and gave her some enema and laxative
couple of months later shes going on her own now
but her stomach is so bloated looks like shes pregnant and says all the time my tummy hurt
doc says give her stool softener and watch her food but nothing helps

We had severe constipation issues with both of our girls. Our older one had it from the very beginning and finally outgrew it once we got her potty trained. However, our youngest (3 now) suddenly became constantly constipated last January. This went on and on. Our dr. took x-rays - he showed me where you could see how backed up she is. So, my 1st piece of advice is to get a 2nd opinion - the dr. should be able to see the stool inside her via xray. It is truly amazing how backed up they can get even if they are going everyday! We put her on Miralax just so she would go. But after fighting with this for 10 months and my mom instinct just knowing that something else was wrong - after being to a pediatric GI too! We discovered she had an inguinal hernia - where the muscle tears and the intestine sticks out. This caused the area where she had it to be "swollen". Which ironically the pediatric surgeon said it couldn't be causing the constipation - well, she had her surgery on Dec. 4th and we haven't had any problems since! I'm sure that's not the case in yours, but there are all kinds of things that can make them constipated. Gluten allergy is one - aka. celiac disease. If either of the parents have this disorder, it's very likely the child will have it too.
I feel your pain - dealing with constipation and just not knowing the cause of the bloated tummy wears on you everyday. To help rest your mind, I would get a 2nd opinion and go from there. Good Luck!

1 / 3