My 2 Year Old Daughter Is Constipated!!!

Hi! I have a 2 year old who has been had trouble with constipation since I stopped nursing at 11 months. Since then, we have given her a small glass of prune juice daily. That has worked for the most part up until a month ago. Since then, she has been more constipated on and off. I have been treating with extra prune juice, less milk, etc.
Recently, it started getting worse, she would cry when trying to go poop, not wanting to sit down, just feeling uncomfortable in general. I made an appt to see her dr and mentioned that her poop had been black for a few days. The dr. wanted a stool sample and recommended miralax. I am not one to go to medication if it can be handled naturally. I told her I wasn't comfortable going that route yet, and we agreed to try a fiber supplement, not diluting the prune juice, etc.
When I took the stool sample back in, it came back positive for blood in the stool. Her dr. is now insisting the miralax be used for 2 weeks. She insists that it is safe and not habit forming. I am feeling uncomfortable knowing that it is not normal for a 2 year old to be constipated, and I know laxitives are not good for your body. I am worried this could cause long term problems and need to know if anybody has advice on what we can do to avoid using the miralax. Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much for your response! I read each and every one of them and now feel more comfortable with the decision to start the miralax. We go back in a week and a half for another stool sample to see if there is still blood in the stool. If not, I think I would prefer taking some of the natural routes - apple juice, more fruit, more water, etc.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to help me!
God Bless and we will hope for the best!

Hi, I had a similar problem with my son, when he was switching from formula to milk, it went on for at least 6 months of him screaming everytime he was trying to go, he would throw up because he was pushing so hard! It was so sad! So we tried dif. things, using suppositories etc. But you want to find the root of the problem. We finally wondered if it was the milk.. we started giving him soy milk instead of reg. vitamin D milk, and he was totally fine! it completely took care of it! Then about 6 months later, we switched him to reg. milk and he has been fine ever since! I dont know if you have already thought of that, but if not, I would reccomend the soy milk.

My 2 year old nephew has had constipation issues almost since he was born. He would cry and scream everytime he would go. My sister in-law took him to a pediatric chiropracter and he pooped without her knowing for the next week. She has taken him once a week for a month and a half and he is doing great! Good luck!

Megan...Try dark Karo syrup in her juice. About one teaspoon for 8 oz. It works wonders!! and very quickly!

Good Luck! and be close to a toilet! H.

Reading your question brought back a lot of bad memories, my now four girl went through the same thing. Her doctor recommended MINERAL OIL, I know what? It does not taste like anything, and it really worked. At the beginning we gave her 2 table spoons in the morning and two at night, you can also put it in her juice. then once she starts going you just do less. after a while she will only need it if she has a lot of dairy products. We tried Miralax and it gave her really bad stomach cramps even if we put it just in water. You can find it in the laxative section and it is really inexpensive. A little warning you might see like an orange oily substance when she goes potty its just the oil, nothing to worry about.

Mother of three little monsters,

Oh that poor little baby!

I'd get her on a high quality probiotic RIGHT NOW!!!

I'm surprised your doctor didn't even mention it. Probiotics are becoming much more mainstream. Even hospitals are using them as a matter of course on patients with digestion and elimination problems, and anyone who is on antibiotics.

My guess is her body was depending on the good, balanced intestinal bacteria she was getting from your breast milk. Which is one of the most important reasons for extended nursing. But when you stopped, she had no other source to keep her system working.

I'd also have her checked for gluten intolerance and wheat and dairy allergies. All of those things can cause what you are describing. Again, I'm surprised your doctor didn't suggest this.

The good new is, even if you eventually find something else that is the cause of her constipation, the probiotics will only help her. There is nothing in probiotics that could hurt her.

Blessings,

My 5 year old daughter had the same problem since day 1, she even had problems when she was nursing. I have always had a hard time getting her to eat all the fruits and veggies that the doctor recommended for extra fiber so she takes a "fiber source" tablet everyday with her vitamins. This has solved the problem and has worked for her for a couple years. When she was younger, 2 to 3 I only gave her a half of a tablet. This made her regular without having to deal with diarea or other side effects if she were to get too much fiber or take a laxative. For us it has been an ongoing problem so I did not want to use medication all the time, this has been a good alternative that has worked for us. I talked with my doctor first before giving her the fiber source tablet (because of the instructions on the back of the bottle) you may want to just double check with your doctor first to make sure it would be right for your little one. Hopefully this is helpful in the long run to prevent constipation over the long haul, I am not sure if it would get her from backed up to regular, a good home remedy that I used when things got really bad when she was small was molasses - I even have a great recipe for molasses cookies that helps to make it taste good. Let me know if you are interested and I can send it to you. (____@____.com) Good luck.

I used to give my son Karo syrup. It is natural and sort of sweet so I had no problem getting my son to drink it. Put about a tablespoon in a 4-6 oz of water. It works wonders.

Hi Megan,
I am a Clinical Herbalist in Denver, and I have passed along your case to my teachers and mentors. I am sure they will have sound information to share with you and your Daughter.
I will relpy as soon as I hear back from any of them. Hopefully within the next 24 hours. Long term (6-12months) of herbal-tonics in teas will most likely be beneficial. But short term I will wait to hear from the experts, and I will let you know what I find out. Please respond to this message so it is easy for me to pass on more info to you.
Thanks,
L. Golub Clinical Herbalist, Holistic Pathways ###-###-####

Have had this same problem. Cheese for someone with these issues is a NO! Also for fiber I take Fiber Coice. They taste like fruit and kids like them. Do at least two a day and maybe more. LOTS OF WATER!

I have the same problem with my 11 year old son. He started have constipation problems at 6 months. The doctor told us then, that he had too much calcium in his body, so he had to drink rice milk. Nasty stuff. Over the years he has had problems off and on and he won't go for 3 days or more, then it's hard and hurts and he tears and bleeds. He is a little mentally disabled so it's still like having a 2 year old some times. I took him off milk completely to see if that helped. It didn't make any difference. He eats lots of fruits and veggies and grains and everything that should help with normal pooping. It doesn't. The last doctor we saw, put him on Miralax. He takes it every other night in a glass of water or juice and it seem to work just fine. My best friend is a nurse and told me that it is not harmful to the body. It is not really a laxative, it just makes it easier to go. It's works more like a stool softener. I still have no idea what is causing the problem, so we made an appt with a pediatric GI doctor. My friend said for him it probably has to do with the medicine he takes for ADD ADHD Autism, etc. I am not as worried about giving him the Miralax now that I have talked to her about it. We started out giving it to him every day, but after he got into the regular habit of going to the bathroom every day, we cut it to every other day. If we miss more than 2 he has problems. Hope that helps you feel better about using it.

1 / 3