Best Formula for Severe Gas and Spit-up?

My baby boy is 11 days old and I am having a horrible time trying to find a formula that will work for him. I first tried Similac Advance and he had severe and painful gas and he spit practically all of it up as soon as he was done eatting. So then I put him on Similac Sensitive RS and that helped his spit up problem really well, but he still had the gas issue, at times worse then he did before. So I then decided to switch him to Nestle Good Start Natural Cultures, because I had to put my daughter on that and it solved all of her problems. It was a great formula for her and she was very sensitve. But, he spits-up the Nestle Good Start right away, he doesnt seem to have gas with it though. So, because he is spitting it all back up he is always cranky and wanting to eat and then just spits it right back up. Any suggestions as to what formula I should try now!?

Look at my posting for "solution to spitting up?" for exactly what the doctor told me to do and what happened. Thank you to all for your advice and suggestions. They all helped!

A., we had the exact same problems early on. I would highly suggest sticking with the Similac Sensitive since it works for the spitup but add 1 drop of Mylicon (or generic gas drops work just as well) for each ounce of formula and shake it up in the bottle with it. This worked WONDERS for my little ones gas issues. I tried giving her the gas drops straight as a single dose but it didn't do anything to help with the gas, so on the suggestion of a friend of mine I put them directly in the bottle and it was like night and day. I also like that this way she was getting a much lower dose of the gas drops than if I'd have been giving them directly with each bottle.

She still got some gas from the formula but the gas drops made the gas just move through her so instead of it backing up and making her miserable, she just tooted a lot and seemed fine. As she got older and the gas wasn't as bad I reduced the drops to 1 drop every 2 oz of formula. Now that she is 22m old I still occasionally put a few drops in her nightly milk if she's had something for dinner that I suspect might give her gas.

You have so much great advice. I hope you find something that works. I used Enfamil gentlease with my first son and mylicon gas drops. My second son had the same issues and was diagnosed with acid reflux...hence the spitting up. He had a prescription for that and I ended up using Similac soy. At that point I discovered gripe water. Where was it for my first? I couldn't believe I had waited so long to try it. Adding right to the formula or just by itself can work wonders. Best wishes to you.

Have you tried nursing? Formulas are harder to digest.

My son is now almost 7 months old, but we had issues with formula as well when he was a newborn. Honestly, I'm not sure we had the same issue, but my son was very uncomfortable all the time. He had gas and and acid reflux. We tried the same formulas you have tried, but none worked. Our doctor finally recommended Similac Alimentum. Alimentum is for kiddos with really sensitive tummies. It is broken down more and is easier for them to digest. It is pretty spendy, but as soon as we switched him over to that he was a completely different baby. We kept him on that for 6 months and just recently switched to Similac Isomil.

I hope this helps a bit. If nothing else at least you know that your baby is very normal and that a lot of newborns have this same issue.

mother to Austin 20 months and Dillin 6 months

We used Enfamil brand that was a salmon color label - it's specifically for spitter-uppers.

Well at 11 days old, might be hard doing too many switches of formula. Both my kids had gas and spit up and ended up on Similac Soy formula. It seemed to help, but they hard to tell since their systems are so immature at that age.

I am sorry you are going through this... I have not delt with this issue personally but I know some of my friends have.. I used enfamil formula.. and some of my friends that had problems with severe spit up used a special type of enfamil go to www.enfamil.com
then under products there is an area of questions you can answer to help see what formula they suggest or you can call them directly (problems feeding) maybe also call your babys doctor do you think it could be acid reflux? also, maybe your baby's doctor has some free samples of formula you could try..
sorry I am not much more of a help.

best "formula" is the chiropractor...no joke. Give it a shot was amazing for our son! Who slept in a sleep wedge for a month before we decided to get him in! And he had the worst "silent reflux"...Oh and switching formulas too much over a short period of time is hard on the body!

1 / 3