Suggestion for Infant Formula That Creates Less Gas

Hello:

I am hoping that one of you might be able to point me in the right direction. I am looking for a formula that creates less gas for my 2 week old son. We are currently using Enfamil lipil with iron, but it seems to create quite a bit of gas for him and it is so hard for me to watch him in such pain.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
A.

I had the same problem, so I tried the Enfamil Lipil Gentle formula and had him on it for a long time. It has partilly broken down proteins to help them digest it better. Worked great. Hope this helps.

I used Nestle Good Start the green canister for the first 3 months then switched to the orange colored canister after my daughters digestion became more developed.

Loved it and never had gas problems. The Dr. Brown's bottles are great also at preventing gas but I swear by the Good Start formulas...used them with both kids.

Tried the Similac and Enfamil with my son because that's what the hospital gave us and had horribly gas problems for two months before I switched him to Good Start. Never thought about trying anything else when my daughter came along because it worked so well.

We used GentleEase. I think it was by enfamil too. We also put gas drops, Mylicon, into the bottle too. It helped a lot.

Hi A.. Have you tried using Mylicon in his bottle? If not, give it a try. Back when the kids were on bottles, I would add Mylicon directly into the bottle after mixing the formula and water together for every feeding. Then I would gently shake (so not to create more bubbles!) Both my Pediatrician, and another Pediatrician who spoke at a Mom's Group, indicated that Mylicon was safe for infants. It seemed to help my kids. Good luck!!

Hi!
My daughter was a very gassy (hence fussy) baby...we switched her to the Carnation Good Start since it is broken down a bit more than other formulas and supposed to be easier and gentler on them. Looking back I wish I would have tried to breastfeed her, I think we would have avoided alot of her issues...Good luck!

I didn't find out about this until my third! The wal-mart brand of formula is the best!!!! With my twins the poor things had to suffer as I kept trying different formulas that gave them the same problem! Finally with my youngest someone told me to try parents choice I believe it is called. The very first bottle I fixed I noticed the difference just when preparing it, it had barely any bubbles after shaking it unlike the half of a bottle full that the others formed! My daughter did so much better after this. The bonus is-the formula is only about $11 or $12 which is nice! Another trick if formula doesn't completely help is to put the mylicon gas drops directly into the bottle. This allows the child to receive all of the drops instead of trying to squeeze into mouth and it just comes right back out! Good luck!

Before switching to a totally different milk based formula, try enfamil LOW iron. Both of my children started on an iron formula (my girl on enfamil, my son on similac) and both needed to be switched to low iron. Try that first and then take a more drastic change like soy or something else. Good Luck. BTW the cheapest I found was walmart or target.

My kids are older now, but I experienced the same thing with them when they were infants. If you're using the powder formula of Enfamil, you might want to try the liquid...either the one where you just add water or the one already completely made. I ended up switching to the one where we just had to add water. I don't know if the powder just doesn't break down enough for their little stomachs. Good luck.

just as others have said, you should probably check with the pediatrician first. However, soy milk formulas can often help with babies who have digestive problems. Though, just so you know, they can be constipating for your little one. So, you may want to give it a try for a few days or a week. Good luck! Kathy

Not sure if anyone suggested Nutragimen, it is soy-free and lactose-free. However, your baby may need some infant probiotics, especially if born via c-section. Here is an article to read:
http://www.bodyecology.com/07/09/20/introduce_babies_prob...

Also another good source on the truths and myths of soy for boys.

http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtsoy.html

Also, try the tummy massage, starting at the right hip bone, moving clockwise, in the flow of the digestive track.

I also have a homemade dairy-free and soy-free infant formula recipe using rice milk if you are interested. You can also find many other homemade infant formula recipes online as well. I know a few moms that have used them b/c formula just was not good for their baby no matter what they tried.

1 / 3