Bad Diaper Rash

Hello,
My daughter woke up this morning with a really bad diaper rash...I mean really red, some blood and just you could tell it was painful for her. She sleeps 12 hours at night and she must have had a bowel movement early in the night and also peed alot. Anyway, she's never had a diaper rash this bad before, so I am just looking for advice for treating it and helping her feel better soon. Thanks!

Thank you to everyone for all of your helpful advice. My daughter's rash is noticeably alot better thanks to all of your tips, and hopefully it will be completely better in a few days. Airing it out and putting diaper cream on her about every hour during the day really seemed to do the trick. Thanks again!

In case it happens again or doesn't clear up completely, I recently learned of a "trick" Guatemalans use that has been amazing with my kids.

Make a tea with one chamomile bag in one cup of hot water. Let it cool. Take a baby washcloth and completely soak it in the tea and squeeze it out. Take the wash cloth and wrap it from front to back (especially covering the infected area) and then put the child's diaper back on. Let it sit for approx 20 minutes and then take off the wash cloth and diaper and let the area air for approx 5 minutes. You can then apply a cream and put the diaper back on. Do this approximately 3x for a couple of days. This should help to soothe the area.

I use no toxic products that help with my son's senstive bottom. I would be happy to share what I use if you are interested.

I found that Bag Balm (a really heavy petroleum-type lotion) worked wonders for that sort of diaper rash. It's like Vaseline jelly, but much better. I've found it in the drug store in the lotion aisle. I think Walgreens also makes a generic brand.

Hope this helps,

We swear by triple paste. You can get it at Walgreens. It is really thick, but it really works. We were introduced to it when my oldest was in the hospital with rotovirus. His skin was horribly shredded and bleeding from the constant loose acidic stool. He was clear in less than 12 hours. I also agree with letting her air it all out. They sell blue disposable chux pads that you can lie on the floor if you are worried about accidents.
Hope that helps

A.

Hello,
My daughter has dealt with diaper rash a lot in the last year. Me and my husband found that Beaudreax's(not sure on the spelling) butt cream works really well as far as what you can buy at a store. Desitin keeps everything away from the skin better though, so it's more what you like. Also it helps to give a bath with some Dreft in it. It can be just so she sits in it and helps her butt out. And if you felt it wasn't going away like it should be with that, if you go to the doctor and ask them about something, like Niastatin(still not sure on the spelling), but we ended up with that from our doctor and it helps a lot! I hope this helps a little bit!

Poor kid! Try Paladin diaper rash ointment. http://www.rashcream.com/Testimonials.htm
It works really well- and not just on sore behinds. I still use it on my 7 and 9 year old for chapped upper lips and other owies. I'm not sure what makes it better than the other diaper rash creams but it worked when Desitin and A&D didn't. I used to recommend Paladin to my incontinent home health care clients and they thought it was great stuff. Giving her derriere some air will help, too -of course, that may not always be feasible during winter in WI. Brrrr! After applying the ointment, dusting the treated area with non-talc baby powder will help keep the ointment on her skin longer instead of transferring onto to her diaper. I don't know if Walgreens or CVS carries it nowadays, but I bought my last jar at Ye Olde Pharmacy in Glendale about 3 or 4 years ago. (2 oz. jar for under $4) Good luck!

I swear by Triple paste diaper cream. You can get it at the pharmacy. It will clear it up FAST!

There are two products that work extremely well. Butt paste and aquaphor. They both are the best.

I'd suggest giving her organic yogurt with acidopholis and live cultures. Also a low acidic diet while the rash is still present.This has worked for my son numerous times.
If the rash is still present (not clearing) after a few days have her yeast levels checked to make sure there isn't an overgrowth in her system.

When my daughter got rashes like that, desitin just didn't work for her, so we used corn starch. If you put on some A&D ointment then sprinkle it with corn starch it sticks better, but sometimes just keeping moisture off her bottom will help it heal too. I used cornstarch because it wouldn't give her a yeast infection like baby powder can with little girls, it is also what my mom used on me as a baby.

Good Luck!!

H.

1 / 3