1 Year Old with Really Bad Diaper Rash

Hello fellow moms! I need some help here, my daughter has been suffering from a really bad diaper rash for the past week, I've tried desitin original and balmex, but no relief. So I was wondering if any of you wonderful moms have great suggestions on what products to use to get rid of this, thank you so much ladies!

Thank you everyone!!! It turns out it was a yeast infection, so I used some lotrimin on her last night, and this morning its almost all gone! I cannot thank you wonderful mothers out there for helping me out, I knew I could count on all of you for the right information! I'm so glad that we are seeing improvement, because it was getting pretty bad and its hard to see you baby in pain from the irritation! Thanks again!

I agree with many of the moms who have suggested yeast. I treated my daughter's yeast infection with probiotics and diluted Tea Tree oil. When I took her into the doctor, they said, "whatever you're doing is working. She doesn't need a prescription, just keep doing what ever you're doing."

Just take a really good quality probiotic and mix it into her food. Then dilute some tea tree oil in olive oil, cocnut oil or almond oil and put it on the yeast rash a few times a day. You'll see an inprovement right away. Avoid crackes skin if she has any.

It may be a yeast infection. Use Lotrimin (for athlete's foot). My son had horrible diaper rash when he was a baby and that is what my dr. told me to buy. It worked awesome.

Weleda Diaper Care cream is wonderful. For everyday use, Weleda Baby Cream is fine for the diaper area, but when my kids had a rash the Diaper Care cream cleared it up right away. it's avaiable online or at Campbell's in Des Moines--maybe at New City Market too, I can't remember.

Hopefully this can help you. My mom is originally from Germany, its old-fashion and it's a little more "natural way", but it worked for us. Make a strong "tea" of camomille flower tea, (any grocery or natural food store should have it) soak a soft cloth, like a cloth diaper, gently squezze it out and use it as a compress. Use it warm, not hot of course, but not cold either, 'cause who would want that? :) Let you baby girl just lay, maybe as she watches a little t.v. and lay it on her butt. You can do this as often as you like, obviously, the more often, the better. Follow up with some pure Vitamin E oil, not pill form (but that would work too) but in a little bottle, you can get it at any Walgreens. Spread a good amount around. And most of all, let her little butt BREATHE, let her go butt bare, for periods of time. Better to clean a little tinkle than suffer with monkey butt! Good luck.
~D. S.

Once with my daughter, none of the creams helped! I went to straight cornstarch: I would wipe/dab at every change, then either let her air dry for a couple of minutes or blow (mouth) dry, and then I had a little bowl of regular old cornstarch and would dump it on, with her bottom already on the diaper. It would stick to the raw parts, which the creams just wouldn't do. It took about a week, but she stopped being bothered by the rash on the 2nd day. Oh, and I know it's getting harder, but giving her bottom some sunshine time can really help too, and letting her go bare inside for a couple of minutes a couple of times a day. As moms, we want to try and contain the mess, but we forget/ don't know how uncomfortable it is to be wrapped up all the time in paper and gel! Good luck!

I really like triple paste CVS and walgreens has it. It worked really well.

my son has had only a couple of bad diaper rashes, both of which happened when he was on antibiotocs. This is what I did: I used Aveeno Baby packets during his bath to soak his butt. I then used Lotrimin and Boudreaux's Butt Paste and alternated them with each diaper change. This seemed to clear him pretty quickly.
Good luck@

For sure A&D ointment. I swear by it as well as my mother and grandmother

Aquaphor - made by Eucerin. It's a combination of petroleum jelly and lotion, and it works FABULOUSLY.

Try using the Balmex with some regular cornstarch sprinkled on top. That worked for me when my daughter was in diapers!

We were fortunate that our son didn't have diaper rash very often --- but when he did Triple Paste (kept on regularily) did the trick in a day or two.

It is a little pricey and goes on thick, but I know several other parents who'd recommend it too.

We got ours at Target.

A&D Ointment. The ointment not the creme. It's in a gold box and works wonders. We've used it on both of our daughters with every single diaper change since birth for prevention of diaper rash and they have never gotten diaper rash. When my friend's daughter got a horrible diaper rash I forced her to try it (she just didn't think it would work since it wasn't a creme) and the rash cleared immediately. Just so you know, the A & D creme, in the blue box, does not work though!!!

It could be an allergy to the diaper or a yeast infection. Does the rash look like little red dots, if so, it is a yeast infection. Take your baby to the ped and get a prescription for nystatin, that should clear it up in a couple of days.

You may not be experiencing any luck with those rash medications if she has a yeast infection which can masquerade as a really bad diaperrash and advance fairly quickly. You can tell if it is infact yeast by the broken skin and if it is very raw and bleeding it is most likely yeast. You will need the Doc to give the baby meds if you want to cure it quickly and you will as yeast overgrowth can take over the entire intestinal tract of a baby. If you do suspect yeast, you can put a few tbs. of vinegar in her bath then let her diaper area air dry.

There are other reasons why she might have a worse that usual rash, there might be a fungal or bacterial infection. You're best bet is to get the baby to the doc so that he/she can rule out the most dangerous causes and provide prompt treatment for the existing cause.

BEST OF LuCK,

Have you tried Boudreaux’s Butt Paste? We've usually had good luck with it.

it could be a yeast infection. i would take her to the doctor, they will prescribe some cream. otherwise, the most amazing diaper rash cream is called renew. it's an all natural lotion from melaleuca. it's also amazing in the winter as a hand lotion. just put some on the diaper rash and put a new diaper on. the rash will be gone by the next diaper change as long as it's not a yeast infection. you can buy this lotion at www.melaleuca.com. hope this helps! :)

Hi A.
I just wanted to say if you think it is a yeast infection DON'T put cornstarch in her diaper. yeast thrives on sugar and that is basically what corn starch is. Good Luck T.

Corn starch was invented a long time before all the other diaper rash treatments and as far as our family is concerned, it is the only thing that works on a diaper rash. Just sprinkle it on and leave it. It works wonders. Good luck, A..

make sure if it is diaper rash to let her air dry more often. As soon as my son starts to look a little red i give him a bath and let him air dry. i have had to clean up a few piddle accidents but he has never had a horrible diaper rash after i do that. good luck. if the creams aren't working she may have developed a zinc allergy my sons best friend had that so she can't use diaper cream. you can also start putting corn starch in her diapers it will help to keep the area dry.

eucerin cream is amazing!! My kids never had rashes for more then a day

Are you positive it's a diaper rash and not a yeast infection? The dr told me that if a "diaper rash" is blistery and raw its a yeast infection. If she is not just a little red or pink there is more going on. The dr can give you a perscription for nystatin or something along that line for a yeast infection. I
know a east infection for a bbay sounds weird but yeast is on all of our skin and it only needs the right temp, etc to have it grow out of control. Boys can get yeast infections too.

Hi, I know how you must feel. My baby is currently also recovering from a really bad nappy rash. The pharmacy gave me a paste they put together and mylocort. It is over the counter and is not so costly. Its working. Yo put the Mylocort on infected area and the paste over it , nice and thick.

Hope this is helpfull!!!! Good Luck.

I really liked the Aveeno diaper rash cream. It is thicker than some of the other creams and seemed to help our son clear up quickly.

Caldesine powder....it's a pink bottle sold at Wal-greens....it's amazing. Also, I would try switching diapers. She could be sensitive to them. Ex: my daughter only got a diaper rash when she wore Huggies. All the other diapers have been fine.

My daughter had what I thought was really bad diaper rash and it would just not go away. Finally, I took her in and it turns out she had a yeast infection (2 years old). The doctor told me that yeast infections at that age are different than what we get as a yeast infection and that toddlers are susceptible to them because they have a lot of moisture build up in that area. If you have tried all of the normal remedies and it still won't go away, I would take her in. The doctor gave me a simple prescription cream that healed it right away.

Your doctor can prescribe actual perscription stregnth butt paste. They mix it at the pharmacy. I had to get some with each of my girls... and it is amazing how much better and faster it works than the regular ointments.

This happens to our son, especially when he's teething. We have used the Desitin that is more powerful than the original, Butt Paste, baking soda (to dry it out), letting him go without a diaper for awhile, vinegar baths, and Lotrimin (it's actually for foot fungus but our pediatrician recommended it)

My daughter had bad diaper rash a couple of weeks ago and the doctor recommended calmoseptine. We purchased a generic of the stuff from the pharmacy. You do not need a prescription to buy. It is very creamy and coats the area to prevent moisture from getting to the sensitive area. Hope this helps!

Ii could be that she has a yeast infection. I've had pretty good luck using Lotrimin on the affected area. I'm pretty sure it would be safe to try it and see if that does the trick. I also add 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda to their bath water. Good luck!

I always used Saratoga ointment. Works really well but kind of pricey. I usually had to ask the Pharmacist for it even though it's not a prescption.

Whenever my son's rash doesn't go away after a day or 2, I know it's actually a yeast infection. Your Doc can give you a prescription for Nystatin-or something along those lines- and it will clear up in a day.

I swear by A&D Ointment.

My little guy had AWFUL diaper rash also around 1-yr. It wasn't a yeast infection, but it was a red and open rash. I actually took him into his Ped Dr. and the Dr. wanted to try him on steroid creme which I DID NOT want to start. My girlfriend who is in dermatology sales said to try Triple Paste. It's expensive, but I used Desitin, A & D, Butt Paste...and the Triple Paste was the only one that worked!! I also tried to let him air dry as much as possible. Also, don't use wipes after just a wet diaper, just reapply the Triple Paste. And of course, no-alcohol wipes are best to use when her behind is better. When his behind was REALLY red and flared up, after a dirty diaper I would take him to the sink to rinse him with warm water, Dove soap, and a baby washcloth. (no wipes) That is what the Dr. suggested also. Best of luck to you!!

Our son has really sensitive skin and eczema and gets diaper rash pretty easily. We only use the Pampers Sensitive wipes (they make thick ones that are better for use with toddlers) or instant diaper rash. When he gets it though, we use Beaudroux's Butt Paste. Usually one or two applications and the rash is gone.

A and D ointment is the only thing that worked with my daughter. I used the gold treatment, its in a brown box next to all the other diaper rash things. Hope it works for you!
H.

Hi A.:
Is your baby eating yogert? My grandson cannot have yogert or he gets horrible diaper rash. My daughter even tried the little yogert bites, snack food that looks like chocolate chips, and he got diaper rash from those. She used Aveeno diaper rash ointment and it did work well but it takes a few days to get rid of it.

Our dr. gave us a prescription for "PoopGoop#2" yes that's the name and it worked wonders when nothing else over the counter worked.

I second Beth H. on the prescription "poop goop". It's thick and a little harder to apply than desitin but my son used to get diaper rash very easily from different foods and this cleared it up quickly.

My daughter was sensitive to the wipes we used, so see if changing to a different type helps too- no cheap ones for her, any thing other than the thick huggies ones for her. She alsocan't wear the cold feeling pull ups- instant rash.

If it is bright red and a little bumpy and/or bleeding, it is probably yeast. My son has had it before, and our doctor told me to get clotrimazole and also gave him a prescription butt paste that is mixed right in the pharmacy- BEST EVER!!! Actually the one we got from the pharmacy at Children's Hospital was the best ever, but the Walgreens kind was second best. I am usually a fan of Bordeaux's Butt Paste, but the kind from the pharmacy was sooo far superior!!! For the yeast, you can get clotrimazole anywhere [jock itch cream...one brand name is Lotrimin but almost every store has a store brand kind for cheaper]. You put a thin layer of that on, and then cover it with your usual diaper rash cream. Should stop getting worse right away, and takes a few days to go away completely.

get prescription Butt Paste from the pharmacy - you will have to see your doctor for the prescription. The pharmacy will have to mix the ingredients, so you will likely have to wait a bit when picking it up... It's literally a miracle!!

It could be yeast infection...it can look like a diaper rash, but the usual treatments won't get rid of it. I'd take her in to her pediatrician and have it checked.