Baby Spitting up More than Usual

I have a 3 month old who seems to be spitting up alot more than she used to. Sometimes its even chunky looking. We have since started feeding her cereal with fruit in, but have now stopped. I thought that was what was causing it, but she still continues to throw up. She is not running a fever, nor is she fussy. She is still acting like her normal old self (happy, cooing and giggling). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? Or is this normal?

sounds like the daughter of a friend of mine who has a reflux problem and has medication for it.Ask doc.

J.-

My son did this as well. He was diagnosed
with Acid Reflux. 2 months later, we were
giving him 4 doses of Prilosec every day!

Unlike other children with Acid Reflux, he
did not seem upset when he spit up and he
seemed just as happy as before.

I did a lot of online research and found that
there was a more holistic way to treating my
son. I chose chiropractic care and my son
has been off of the medications since his
second adjustment.

If you are located near the Des Moines, IA
area, feel free to e-mail me, as I know of
a wonderful chiropractic clinic.

A.
www.mygreenhealth.com

Consult with your doctor. Your baby may have reflux.

As a mom of two with acid reflux, I can honestly say that the only thing they did different than most others was have excessive spitting up. Ask your pediatrician, but Zantac and Prevacid won't hurt them if they are given it and it isn't needed. the tests for acid reflux (a pH probe) are uncomfortable for everyone, and with my second child they were willing to do a trial prescription of Zantac rather than put her through the testing. Most kids grow out of it by the time they are a year or two old, mine have not, but it's not a big deal to give them either liquid or a chewable everyday. Good luck.

It's very possible that she is allergic to her formula.

It is normal. Is she eating more than she used to? My daughter did the same thing. Keep her upright for about 30 minutes after she eats. Do not put her in a swing. That could make her vomit. Put her in her car seat or hold her.

My son used to spit up A LOT and I took him to the doctor, they did some testing and found out that he had a level 2 reflux. They gave me a prescription for liquid Pepcid and it solved the problem.

Dear J.,

Dr. Sears writes an article on exactly this topic. I think you would appreciate reading it because it will give you the answers you are seeking. Some of the helpful advice included in it I have pasted below, as well as the link to the article (Starting Solid Foods: When? What? and How?, by Dr. Sears)~ I urge you to read it, I think you and your baby will find it very helpful.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

" 2. Young babies have a tongue-thrust reflex . In the first four months the tongue thrust reflex protects the infant against choking. When any unusual substance is placed on the tongue, it automatically protrudes outward rather than back. Between four and six months this reflex gradually diminishes, giving the glob of cereal a fighting chance of making it from the tongue to the tummy. Not only is the mouth-end of baby's digestive tract not ready for early solids, neither is the lower end.

3. Baby's swallowing mechanism is immature. Another reason not to rush solids is that the tongue and the swallowing mechanisms may not yet be ready to work together. Give a spoonful of food to an infant less than four months, and she will move it around randomly in her mouth, pushing some of it back into the pharynx where it is swallowed, some of it into the large spaces between the cheeks and gums, and some forward between the lips and out onto her chin. Between four and six months of age, most infants develop the ability to move the food from the front of the mouth to the back instead of letting it wallow around in the mouth and get spit out. Prior to four months of age, a baby's swallowing mechanism is designed to work with sucking, but not with chewing."

For my daughter, she spits up more if she is having an increase in saliva due to teething. It can come and go. My daughter does not always have a change in temperment when this happens.

1 / 3