AV Malformation/Hemangioma????

Hi all. I gave birth to twin boys last week and they are wonderful! Well, there is one thing. My second born has a large mass on his knee that is shaped/sized like an egg. One doctor called it a hemangioma (sp?) or an AV malformation which is basically a birthmark on steroids. Have any of you dealth with this before? If so, please give me very detailed info on what had to be done. I want to know the good and the bad but please tell me everything!

Thanks for all of your replies and thanks for being honest in your responses. We went to Scottish Rite for tests and we will be seeing an orthopedic surgeon soon. I'm nervous but hopeful about all of this. Thanks again!

When my daughter was born, she had a small red spot on her side. By the time she was 6 months old it had grown to the size of a quarter. My pediatrician said it was a hemangioma and would go away by the time she was one. Well, she was more like 2 1/2, but it is almost completely gone now.

Congratulations on the birth of your twins! A dear friend of mine has a precious 10 month little girl Kaylynn who has a hemangioma on her face. There are so many different types of hemangiomas however, you can find alot of information on www.birthmarks.org
Kaylynn is seeing Dr. Milton Waner in NYC, he is an incredible doctor and is one of the few that believes in early treatment. He is a true miracle worker!
Best wishes!

My sister had one of these on her legs and two of my friends have children with them on their faces.
You will notice the hemangioma getting smaller and flatter by the time your son is 2 or 3. It will be completely gone by the time your child starts kindergarten, if not sooner. They don't cause any pain or discomfort either so don't worry or stress over it. Oh, and congrats on the twins!!! I'm jealous!

My now 3 year old daughter a minor hemangioma on her stomach at birth. The doctor told me a bit about them and said we would simply watch it. Often they grow, sometimes they don't. And when they do grow, after a few years, they shrink and then go away by the age of 10.
My daughter's never grew at all. It is just some tiny red specks that are barely noticeable.
We have a few friends whose children have had one on their face. One child had hers lasered, though they then moved away and I don't know the results. The other had it on her forehead and it never got very large. She is 3 now and cute as can be.

Congratulations on your boys!

My daughter was born with a strawberry shaped hemagioma (sp) on her back it was puffed out when she was born her doc said it should start going away on its own, but if it got to the point where it seamed to hurt her he would re-evaluate her and possibly drain it, (its full of blood, it won’t bust). He did say it should just go away on its own; it is she is 6 now and you barely see it. It is almost all gone.

My older daughter was born with a small hemangioma on her eyelid. We were advised by our pediatrician to see a specialist. The specialist said that it should not be removed because it was on the eyelid. He also said that it would disappear by itself in a few years. We saw the specialist every six months so that he could monitor the size. Thanks to God, it completely disappeared by the time she was three! I don't know that our experience will help you, but I don't believe that there is any reason for alarm . I believe because of it's location that it can be removed if it needs to. Good luck and God bless.

Is it just a red birthmark-looking spot? My 22 month old daughter has a hemangioma on the inside of her left elbow. It's about the size of a ping-pong ball. When she was born it just looked like a spot of broken blood vessels that wasn't very noticeable. Within a few months, it became bright red and puffy and was dry, itchy and scaly. But now it has gone way down and faded quite a lot.

What they told me about it was that it will probably mostly go away when she is older and what is left (if any) can be removed with a laser if we want to do that. Hope this helps any at all. Congrats and good luck!

Hi Gina,

My niece, at a few months old, had hemangeomas all over her liver, she swelled up with them so large that her skin was transparent. She finally had a liver transplant at 5 months old. The good news is, doctors at Texas Childrens are familiar with this, and are very good at what they do ~ she now 3 1/2 and has had no rejection. I have also heard of hemangeomas going away on their own as the child ages, but those are primarily external. Put it in the Lord's hands, your baby boy be just fine.

A.

1 / 3