20 answers

Allergies to Fish

I think my 15 month is allergic to salmon. He has vomited the last two times after he ate it. I am wondering if he is allergic to all fish, or just salmon. I am taking him next week to the doctor to see if they can do allergy tests on him. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this with their child and if so was it to all fish?

What can I do next?

Featured Answers

I personally have this same problem. I vomit EVERYtime I eat salmon, but have not experienced it with any other fish. It is a bummer too, because I really enjoy salmon. As far as I know this can happpen, I don't know why or how, but that has been my experience.

I would hold off on the testing. At 15 months the salmom may just be to rich. I would wait another 6 mos. even a year and try again. Even if it is an allergy he could outgow it. Give it time.

More Answers

Hi T.,
I am allergic to a lot of food. I don't eat fish, because I don't like it, but I am allergic to all seafood. The other day I ate ONE baby shrimp and my stomach was agetated all day. I thought I was going to throw up all day. If I do eat sea food, I throw up pretty violently. It tastes good to me, but it feels like poison in my body. I can't even describe the feeling. Head aches, chills, sweats, stomach feels wierd, swollen and itchy throat, with no soothing it until it is out of the system. Yes, I recommend he sees the doctor before the next fishy meal.

C.

Dear T....
I hope by now you have stopped feeding your baby fish altogether for now. Fish can be toxic to adults for a myriad of reasons, I am surprised you are feeding your child salmon so early in his life with all of the reports about seafood that exist today. Luckily, there are other foods to feed your child for now, so do so, and leave the fish alone for a while...perhaps a long while, certainly until age 2 at least....maybe age 3. I'm sure your doctor will tell you the same thing and allergy testing won't be necessary yet. Another thought, sometimes some foods just don't hit our stomachs the right way, and maybe for your baby it's the fish, or the spices, or the preparation......see how it might be easier just to let it go for a time? Time and maybe maturation time will have a better result later in life for him.

my son when i introduced salmon when he was 8 months he vomitted 5 times in 1 hour. then tried for the second time after couple of weeks still he vomit. never tried with another fish. im scared..

I would hold off on the testing. At 15 months the salmom may just be to rich. I would wait another 6 mos. even a year and try again. Even if it is an allergy he could outgow it. Give it time.

Is it farmed or wild salmon? The majority of salmon consumed in the U.S. is farmed versus wild caught. There are many toxins & contaminants in farmed salmon including antibiotics, PCBs and dioxins which cause cancer, etc.
See, for example, this article http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA324437
Problem is, many farmed salmon are escaping and invading (breeding with) the wild populations too.

Hi T...
I have allergies myself.. and it looks like my son may have inherited my allergies. This may sound weird... I'm allergic to all shellfish (shrimp, crab, etc.) but I can eat regular cooked fish like salmon and raw fish like sushi, my sister however, can eat shellfish and sushi but CAN'T eat fish once it is cooked. She and I get an allergic reaction when we eat what we're not supposed to. I was also allergic to dairy, peanuts, and avocado. When my son was born I tried giving him a soy formula but he just threw it all up and was lathargic all day. I've takin him to an allergist and a blood test will be done. He also has eczema around his ankles and on his arm. Does your boy have any ezcema?? If he does then it's a sure sign of allergies. hope this helps.. good luck!

My daughter who is 24 months had the same thing with salmon but did not to white fish. I am curious to see what you find out - my doctor says it is very rare to be allergic to salmon.

Dear T.:

My children's pediatrician used to tell me to pay close attention when I fed my young children (under two years of age) and to note if they didn't like the TASTE of certain foods. (Of course, vomiting would be even MORE alarming!)

At about 12 months, our son went from fussing, to welts, to excema and ultimately, to anaphylaxic shock. At that point, both children were tested for food allergies (I would imagine both YOUR children should be tested too!) and it turned out that the foods they had rejected as babies were the foods they were severly allergic to!

My boy was severely allergic to many things: peanuts, eggs, wheat, apples, etc. and his sister was allergic to quite a few DIFFERENT things! We changed their diets and eventually, they were able to integrate SOME things back into their diets (with doctor's supervision) but NEVER the biggies: peanuts or almonds.

Recently, my son had macadamia nuts which hadn't been on the original test. He vomited all night so we added it to his list of "don'ts". We still carry an epi-pen but both children have been brought up with "no fear, just caution".

Best wishes,

M.

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.