What Age to Feed Seafoods?

It is my husband's birthday next week and I am bringing him to an all you can eat crab leg dinner. My daughter will be turning three at the end of next month. I am wondering if she can eat the crab legs or maybe shrimp? What age did you guys start feeding seafood. There are zero seafood allergies in either side of our families.

I personally started testing seafoods on my daughter at about a year and a half, but my family has NO history of (or inclination to) allergies. If you don't have a history of shellfish allergies, you might try giving her a little clam juice this week and see how she reacts (if at all) so next week you can take her and give her seafood if she wishes.

Hi Monica,
At 3 years old, you don't need to restrict foods anymore, there are no recommendations for this at age 3. Enjoy the birthday celebration!

Hi Monica,

Hi Monica,
My daughter is 3 and I am raising her vegetarian with the exception of a little fish now and then. We eat mostly Talapia and wild Alaskan Salmon because they are very low in contaminants. We added fish to her diet when she was about 2.5.
Shellfish allergies can be very serious so I am waiting to give her shellfish until I feel that she can communicate well enough to let me know if she is not feeling well and exactly where she is feeling discomfort. For example if she were having a hard time breathing. I don't feel that she is there quite yet, maybe in a few more months. I am probably being overly cautious especially since we have no food allergies that run in our family.

All the best, B.

I've been giving my 15 month old all kinds of seafood with no issues. He's had little bits of salmon, lobster, and shrimp. I always say "check with your doctor" just incase but I don't think there is really any age in which you have to wait for. Have fun!

I dont think there are age restrictions after three years old but to be SAFE check with your ped...enjoy dinner!!!

I was really strict with our older 2, they love it and are fine at 4 and 5...but our 16 month old had shrimp a couple months ago and she was fine...she actually loves them...I'm sure she'd love crab as well...ask the ped if you aren't sure, but I bet she'd be fine, given there are no allergies with you and hubby...what a great dinner...my birthday is March 24th - LOL!!

So far I've fed lobster, salmon, shrimp, and flounder to my daughter and she's one. No sickness reported!

From what I've read in books and what our pediatrician told us, seafood and nut restrictions can be lifted starting at the age of 2. Treat the seafood as you would any new food; give her a little each day for 3 days to make sure that she doesn't show any allergic reactions. Enjoy!

I started both mine on seafoods - shrimp first then other things - at one year and had no problems at all. They both loved them!

My daughter just turned 2 and she LOVES crab legs, she gobbles them up, she also love shrimp and lobster. No problems at all!!

Dear Monica,
Seafood was one of the first things I introduced my kids to very early: talapia, orange roughy, and flounder. It's high in protein, low in fat, and easy to chew and digest. And good for the brain with omega oils. It's never too early to introduce seafood. Crab and shrimp can be rich, but you have to let them try them. Just have a back up plan on the menu, just in case. Even as young as 5, my kids were ordering salmon and swordfish off a menu; they wanted nothing to do with a children's menu.
Made sense to me, W.

I have to admit my Daughter starting eating shrimp between 18 months and 2 years. She is now 3 1/2 and loves all seafood.

My boys are 14 months old and they LOVE seafood. I would say go for it as you would chicken or pork or any other meat.

My daughter LOVED crab legs much earlier than 3. No problems.

Hi Monica-
You have to be really careful with seafood. Alot of seafood contains high amounts of mercury. You should ask your pediatrician his/her advice.
Hope this helps-

we were able to give most sea foods at like 1, but were told to hold off on shellfish. we were given the ok at their 20 month appt.

The doctor's all say once they are a year old it's alright to give them seafood. I have 5 grandkids and one on the way once they turn a year we start them out with shrimp. The only problem is they love it and wouldn't mind having it every day.
lol

Thanks,
Rose

My nearly-two year old daughter LOVES shrimp. I say let her try it, and pack along a sandwhich or something you KNOW she'll like if crab and shrimp aren't her thing! If there aren't any allergies, I wouldn't worry about it...especially by three. We kept my daughter away from the "high risk allergens" until she was 1. After that, anything on our plates was fair game! (We are also an allergy free household.)

our pediatrician said that after age 1, there are no restrictions on any foods. enjoy!

Two of my daughters age 3 and 4 now, have both been eating shrimp, crab, clams and lobster since the age of 2, and they absolutely love it! I think as long as their is no known food allergies in the family then go for it. Just look for any reactions over the few days following it. I found the younger you introduce foods, the less picky of eaters they are as toddlers. My kids will eat just about anything, right down to all veggies, and I really think its because they started eating such a variety of foods by 2.
Take Care!

I started to give my daughter shrimp and fish when she was 6 months. If she doesn't have allergies, she can eat all well cooked seafood (now row food). Actually, crab meat, shrimp, lobster and low-mercury fish are very good for everybody.

Both my girls (7yo and 2yo) eat seafood and love shrimp, crab legs and clams. I was really worried about letting either one have it because I am allergic to shellfish. I brake out in "running" hives, turn bright red and itch so bad I have scratched my skin open (without even realizing) just moments after the exposure. I did NOT have the allergy as a child and developed it later in life. I waited until almost 2 yo with both before alowing them to have it. They have been fine! My mom is the one that gives it to them and they both know not to touch mom or anything else that I could touch before washing their hands AND lips! Take childrens benedryl with you and know what dose your daughter would get. Let her handle it first and see what happens. If there is no "family history" you stand a good chance of all going great! Also an FYI with me if I wash my skin in water and soap and then rub the itchy area with lemon I can stop the allergic effects. Have fun! A.

Hi Monica,

I have been told after 1 it's okay to give them seafood to try. My daughter turned 3 in May and she LOVES seafood! Just try one kind at a time so you know if she gets any kind of reaction what it's from.

M. Targi
Area Manager
Arbonne International
www.mariatargi.myarbonne.com
###-###-####
The products will change your skin and the opportunity will change your life!