What Age to Feed Seafoods?

It is my husband's birthday next week and I am bringing him to an all you can eat crab leg dinner. My daughter will be turning three at the end of next month. I am wondering if she can eat the crab legs or maybe shrimp? What age did you guys start feeding seafood. There are zero seafood allergies in either side of our families.

I personally started testing seafoods on my daughter at about a year and a half, but my family has NO history of (or inclination to) allergies. If you don't have a history of shellfish allergies, you might try giving her a little clam juice this week and see how she reacts (if at all) so next week you can take her and give her seafood if she wishes.

Hi Monica,
At 3 years old, you don't need to restrict foods anymore, there are no recommendations for this at age 3. Enjoy the birthday celebration!

Hi Monica,

Hi Monica,
My daughter is 3 and I am raising her vegetarian with the exception of a little fish now and then. We eat mostly Talapia and wild Alaskan Salmon because they are very low in contaminants. We added fish to her diet when she was about 2.5.
Shellfish allergies can be very serious so I am waiting to give her shellfish until I feel that she can communicate well enough to let me know if she is not feeling well and exactly where she is feeling discomfort. For example if she were having a hard time breathing. I don't feel that she is there quite yet, maybe in a few more months. I am probably being overly cautious especially since we have no food allergies that run in our family.

All the best, B.

I've been giving my 15 month old all kinds of seafood with no issues. He's had little bits of salmon, lobster, and shrimp. I always say "check with your doctor" just incase but I don't think there is really any age in which you have to wait for. Have fun!

I dont think there are age restrictions after three years old but to be SAFE check with your ped...enjoy dinner!!!

I was really strict with our older 2, they love it and are fine at 4 and 5...but our 16 month old had shrimp a couple months ago and she was fine...she actually loves them...I'm sure she'd love crab as well...ask the ped if you aren't sure, but I bet she'd be fine, given there are no allergies with you and hubby...what a great dinner...my birthday is March 24th - LOL!!

So far I've fed lobster, salmon, shrimp, and flounder to my daughter and she's one. No sickness reported!

From what I've read in books and what our pediatrician told us, seafood and nut restrictions can be lifted starting at the age of 2. Treat the seafood as you would any new food; give her a little each day for 3 days to make sure that she doesn't show any allergic reactions. Enjoy!

1 / 3