Allergies and Asthma in 2 Year Olds

My son is 2 years old, he was just recently diagnosed with allergies (to everything you can imagine) and asthma. He has never been on any meds his whole life, just the usual for common cold and Tylenol for teeth. He has only had a few viral infections and that is it. So to leave the allergist on 2 meds, a nose spray, and breathing treatments twice a day is a little overwhelming! He is doing great on the meds and even the nose spray, but the breathing treatments are a struggle! I literally have to pin him down to get anything at all in him! I also have asthma and take breathing treatments, he will lay on me while I take mine so I know it's not fear! It almost throws him in to an asthma attack everytime we do a treatment he gets so upset! But if he doesn't do it then he struggles to breath! Please help! I need any and all suggestions!

Thank you all for your suggestionss. We have a mask with a fish face, which he thought was so great the first day, now using the mask is harder than the nozzle! I had not thought about making him a character, we will try that tonight and hope for the best!

You might try to make it more fun for him with a cool mask. They make all different kinds, like this dragon mask, to help kids deal with having to take breathing treatments. Good luck!
http://www.pediatricsupplier.com/dragon.html

My daughter was chronically ill as a baby. I had taken her to pulmonologists and they put her on more and more meds. She struggled to breathe so much. The nebulizers was a struggle that wired her and caused reflux, so they added more meds. She never got better until I was venting one day to my chiropractor. He told me to bring her in, I was very skeptical, but did. He saw her 2-3 times a week for a month. Guess what!
By the end of that month, she was totally off all her meds and has never had a lung problem since! I take her once every other month now, just to keep her healthy. I wonder if she would still be on all that if I had never taken her...

Sorry about all your new health concerns with your son. I have different issues with myself, and finally decided in my life that I prefer not to use "drugs" (there are always side effects, and often long term negative effects) and I sought out "alternative" medicine, namely a naturopathic physician. They are amazing. The real bona fide ones have been to four years of naturopathic medical school (after college) and really know their stuff. They help the body to heal so that it can cure itself. We still go to MDs as needed, but I feel like I've discovered a whole new world of possibilities, and have gotten more help for myself for my issues than in a lifetime of seeing MDs. You can learn more about NDs at naturopathic.org.

A friend of mine has asthma, as do a few of her children, and she doesn't give them the medicines daily as instructed by the doctor because she is concerned about the long-term effects. She has to use it as needed, of course. Many people use MDs and NDs concurrently - as a team, which is my approach. It would be worth looking into, maybe finding a book on alternate healing, or of course there is a wealth of info on the web. You might google "naturopath asthma", or "naturopath allergies", or put all three words together.

BTW, my husband is a veterinarian, so is trained in main stream medicine and has the inclination to think that the naturopathic stuff I embrace is a bunch of hogwash, but he can't deny that I got pregnant in 7 months with my NDs help (with no other "drugs"), and the other help that I got with my hormonal issues.

Also, there are many other forms of natural healing that can be used in conjunction with NDs, such as accupuncture, chiropractic, massage therapy, etc. I would really encourage you to research the alternatives. Good luck!

Hi there. My oldest (now 16) had asthma during his toddler years, my second (now 14) has had it from toddlerhood to present along with multiple food allergies. During the toddler years, both of my boys were on liquid albuterol which tasted great to them so there was no problem getting them to take it. When my second son was older and still had asthma he switched to the inhaler form but was old enough (4ish) so that administering it wasn't an issue. So, maybe ask your doc about the liquid oral form of albuterol as a possible alternative. Good luck and I truly hope your little one grows out of the asthma like my oldest did!

Please go to www.Oxyphone.com to see a better way to give nebulizer treatments. Screaming does NOT increase the amount of nebs a child gets. There is lots of info on the website that debunks commonly held (but unsupported) rationale for the old way of giving nebs. The facebook site is http://www.facebook.com/pages/Davidson-NC/OxyPhone/270572.... My husband is an ER doctor and he invented the Oxyphone. They use it in the ER all the time.

I agree with the Shaklee lady and removing the chemicals in your home is your first step I switched stores as well and went green it is worth it for your childrens health. www.switching stores.com/ali for more info I would love to inform you about what I use and L. you will see an improvement in your boy if you go green.M.

i tried to post this once and my computer froze.... so im not sure if it sent or not sorry if im repeating myself... do it when hes sleeping. go in a little bit befire he wakes up in the morning and after hes sleeping at ngiht and put it up to his mouth or nose (however hes breathing) just sit aand be very quiet it it works for us and i have a light sleeper. i have 2 girls who have to do breathing treatment ages 3 and 6 my 6 year old has been on then since about age 1. hope this helps!

I also have asthma and have had to give my 20 month old breathing treatments he hasnt been diagnosed with it and i hope he doesnt but it helps if you just take the mask off and set with him in your lap and just let the mist go in front of his face even let him hold it. They think they are doing something then ,but they get just as much that way and it doesnt confine them with the mask

1 / 3