Albuterol/nebulizer Use for a 5 Month Old

My 19 week old daughter was just recently diagnosed with reactive airway disorder. My 5 yr old also has the same issue. Both are currently on breathing treatments..MY QUESTION: is anyone else using albuterol in a nebulizer (.083% or 2.5mg/3mL albuterol sulfate) on their infant? My doctor told me to give her albuterol (1 full ampule) 3xday and pulmicort (1/2 ampule) 2xday. I don't know how comfortable I am using albuterol on the infant when it can cause increased heart rate, nervousness, etc..and its hard to look for these signs in a 5 month...just looking for reassurance from other mothers who use albuterol on their infants....THANKS!!!

thank you for all your helpful stories. I have been giving my 5 month old daughter the albuterol 3 times a day and the pulmicort 2xday as prescribed by her pediatrician, but after reading so many other stories from people in the same situation it has made me more comfortable. So far I have not seen any of the side effects sometimes associated with albuterol. Both girls go back for rechecks this thursday, hope they get a clean bill of health and their lungs are open not wheezy!! Thanks again..this is a wonderful way to connect and get advice from other moms :)

Both my kids were on one at a young age. They had RSV and needed it. I did not see anything but good results on my kids.

Take care,

jules

My son had RSV before he was a year old and pnuemoninia right after his first birthday. We used the albuterol and a nebulizer and a infant sized mask for inhaler treatments. It was more distressing for him not being able to breathe. Although he hated the treatments, he could breathe so much better when they were finished. He's a healthy 5th grader now with no breathing or health issues at all.

My son has had to have breathing treatments since he was an infant. I used albuterol and others...but albuterol was the main treatment used and we are still using it if needed with him. He has always done fine and the benefit he receives from the treatment far out weighed any risk factor.

The neb was administered for my son when he was an infant, but we had to take him to the hospital for treatment. We were members of Kaiser Permanente and they didn't want us to accidentally overmedicate him and they monitored his progress and breathing rate. Our daughter didn't need the neb until she was about 2 1/2 years old, though. Until then, both children needed Prednisone to get rid of the mucuous in their lungs when they were little and were prone to pneumonia. As they got older and Albuterol didn't seem to work for eldest child, pediatrician put them on Xopenex and Pulmicort instead. At age 4, both were considered asthmatic (cold-induced).

My now 11 month old needed to be nebulized very frequently with albuterol at three months. At that point, I felt like it made him seem "out of it." But he needed it. There wasn't a choice. His doctor eventually put him on pulmicort as a preventative measure. I felt that had no side effects for him. When he got older, by 9 or 10 months, a specialist switched him to an inhaler with a spacer. He still uses the albuterol through the spacer when needed. It does jazz him up, as some gets into the blood stream, but he needs it. The specialist felt that the research was inconclusive as to the effect nebulizers have on eyes and that the inhaler with spacer is better. Hope this helps. There is so little about these medicines and their impact/effect on infants.

Our son, now almost 4, has been on nebulizer treatments since he was about 1 1/2 yrs old. We've rotated b/t albuterol and pulmicort (and used both at the same time, too). I think both are fine, but I would only use albuterol during the day when you are not expecting your child to sleep. I does tend to make them a bit hyper. Pulmincort is fine anytime. Good luck!

i used 2 times with my twins when they were almost 5 months and againat 8 month they were sleepy after that

I know how you feel. When my son was 4 months old we started giving him albuterol (.085%) every few hours to control his cough. It actually made it worse so we switched to Xopenex which was better. We were also doing the pulmicort 2Xs a day. I understand your concerns and I think as moms we have these concerns for legit reasons. I spent many hours and hundreds of dollars on these treatments (my sons 2 now and we recently stopped using the neb) and never was confident that I was doing the right thing. We found out that he has FOOD allergies which were causing this chronic cough! (Milk, eggs, glutein, fish) Since I have changed his diet his cough has improved and he only needs the Xopenex if he has a cold. The drs are very reluctant to do any sort of allergy testing on infants because the results are not always accurate. If your baby has problems with the formula its possible she could be allergic to milk. I just went to the allergy asthma specialist here in Warrenton and asked them to test for milk allergies and he did.
Bottom line.... I dont think giving these meds is going to HURT your baby but I have also learned that as moms we need to do more research and not just trust what the drs say cause we know our kids better and that feeling in our guts is there for a reason. You can also get a second opinion if you arent comfortable. I hope this helps... good luck!

Just reading your post from Saturday and I was wondering whether anyone has suggested you try changing some of your household products. I find that with breathing issues, doctors are very quick to find a cure for the problem, but don't address what could be the actual trigger. Most cleaning products contain chemicals such as bleach, ammonia and formaldehyde which are very irritating to the lungs and can trigger respiratory problems. I know several people who have been able to come off their breathing treatments simply by switching the products they are using in their homes. It is actually cheaper and easier than most people imagine to convert your home to naturally based products.
If you are interested in finding out more, let me know.
L. P

1 / 3