Age for First Tricycle

Hello all -

My daughter turns two in a couple of weeks and I am thinking about getting her a tricycle but I don't know if she is ready for it or not. Since she is my first child I have no clue about how old kids are when they get certain toys and I haven't found much information online. So, my question is, how old was your child when they got their first tricycle and how did it work out for you/them?

We got my daughter one at 2 and she cannot really grasp the concept. Plus most tricycles are too big for kids at 2. I would wait until she is 3 or even 2 1/2.

One of the limitations on tricycles is most are too big for the little ones to reach the pedals. We got one as a gift that had the handle on the back so you could push until the child could reach the pedals and then actually pedal. With most kids pedaling starts around age 3, but girls sometimes are faster.

Think about getting her a 'Big Wheel.' There are some girly versions out there!

www.myfamilymyfuture.com

My daughter has had her tricycle since she was 20 months, but wasn't able to actually pedal it herself until recently. She is now 28 months and zips around on that thing just fine. Ours is from Toys R Us and it folds down for easy storage. It was relatively inexpensive. The problem is she will probably outgrow it soon. It's perhaps a little too small. Good luck.

My DS turns two today and he has been on his tricycle since the spring time but he has two older sisters that he chases after as well. It just depends on your daughter-you might want to consider the Step 2 or Little Tikes cars that you could push from a handle behind or she can use her feet.

My daugther was around 2 with the trike and at 3 we got her a Dora big wheel with buttons for everything (horn, radio, blinkers etc). The big wheel has been a much bigger hit with our daughter. They're never too young to start teaching them but I think most are closer to 3 before they really get the jist of pedaling. I say get it and introduce her to it and if she's not crazy about it now give her 6 months and you won't be able to get her off of it.

We gave my daughter her tricycle when she turned 2; we got her one of the Kettler tricylces (sorry; don't remember which one exactly; I know there are several Kettler models). She really enjoyed having it, but was probably closer to 2-1/2 before she could start pedaling it by herself. We bought the kind that has the removable handle on the back, so we were able to push it for her until she got to the point where she could pedal it. I think this is a good age for a tricycle. I like her tricycle, but the pedals are REALLY small so her feet slip off of them a lot. You may want to actually shop around for another brand that has larger pedals that aren't so close to the wheel (Trek makes a GREAT tricycle, but it's super-expensive...).

Neither of my daughters were ready for a tricycle until they were closer to 3. They just don't get how the pedals and steering are supposed to work.

I started my daughter at 3. It was a challenge then for her. If money's tight -- wait, because it will probably not be used much at 2. Good luck!

We got my son his first tricycle for his 2nd birthday. We purchased a red (old school) tricycle. The nice thing about it was that it had a long handle on the back that allowed us to steer him while he concentrated on pedalling. When he got good at pedalling we removed the handle and off he went. He now has a "big boy" bike at 4 1/2, but his little brother will be using it next sure for sure. Great purchase!

1 / 3