Advice on Pregnancy and Motherhood

Okay I have found myself unexpectedly pregant. I am happy about this and was planning on another child but it happened MUCH earlier than expected. I have always had morning sickness with my pregnancies but I am finding it is like 10 times worse this time around. I am about 10 weeks pregnant. I can barely keep anything down until very late afternoon or sometimes not until the evening. This has gone on for the fast 3 or 4 weeks. I am with my 2 1/2 year old daughter in the daytime and she is very active...due to my extreme nausea I feel like a terrible mother because I am basically in the bathroom or laying down the entire time we have together. At least we can coordinate our naps but she is a very spiritied little girl. I don't know if this is a contributing factor but I work nights now andI never did in my previous pregnancies. I get home about 12:30am and I get to sleep until about 7am sometimed 7:30am. I get about a two hour nap mid day. I read somewhere that nausea is increased by exhaustion so I try to rest as much as I can. I feel so lazy and run down. My husband is picking up most of the slack at home. I have tried everygthing from crackers before getting out of bed to pickles to ginger tea and ginger snaps. Nothing seems to work and lots of smells trigger my nausea including my daughters soiled diapers (we are working on potty training but it is a long process). I have my first doctpr's appointment on Thursday. I was wondering if anybody came across any miracle cures for this while they were pregnant? I also had gestational diabetes with my daughter so I am sure the doctor will be checking on this throughout this pregnancy. I just want to be able to eat and keep the food down so that I have some energy to interact with my daughter. HELP!

I went to the Doctor and he did prescribe me something which helps me to eat and hold food down.. it gives me almost an insatiable appetite so I am abe to eat a wider variety of foods to balance my diet. This is a big help but I cannot take it at work because it does make me drowsy and it I can't really drive with it. So I have found a semi solution. At work I have been systematically trying all your wonderful suggestions...one of my co workers actually has a bowl of fireballs on her desk and I use dit a couple times and it really helped! How funny! Also I try to get out of bed slower and get protein in me as well whne ever I can stomach it. I have relaly bad motiona sickness in the car so tomorrow I am going to look for those braclets many of you raved about. My daughter is adjusting we got a strong heartbaet and an ealry ultrasound (to rule out multiples) and we so far were able to confirm one baby and I am about 11 weeks pregnant. my daughter show everyone the ultrsound picture and says it is her baby. I explian to her when i am feeling sick or throwing up that the baby does this and it means he/she is growing and happy. She is starting to get it but boy she is getting addicted to Tv and unlimited snacking throughout the day. So she is really spoiled when my husband has her becuase she is used to get almost everything she wants when home with me during the day. I have enlisted help from family members (it is difficult becuase many of them are expecting too) but some of my younger cousins have agreed to help her get out of the house here and there so I can rest and she can get fresh air. I came to tears reading several of your messages thanks so much for all the unconditional acceptance and support! It is nice to knowI am not the only one going through this. Thanks a million!

-N.

A close friend of mine had hyperemesis through her whole entire pregnancy. She was throwing up multiple times a day, and at one point became dehydrated enough to end up in the hospital for a couple of days. Nothing worked for her, until the doctor prescribed Zofran. She was then able to function as a normal human being and enjoy food (and life!) again. I know some are against taking medications while pregnant, but it was a life saver for her, and her little guy was (and is) totally healthy!

oh I feel for you...Pregnancy pops worked for me as did the seasickness band nu-band. Also, I know they can prescribe you something if you need it.

Sea Bands really helped me. They didn't make the nausea go away completely, but they kept me from throwing up - in fact, the few times i forgot them I did throw up and then looked at my wrists and realized I didn't have them on. Good luck!

hi N.,
congratualations first have you tried sea bands they are braclets hte soem people wear on boats the apply gentle pressure on your wrists an it helped me with nausea. exhaustion will make syptoms worse so try and sleep more if you can. good luck mother of four 13 11 8 and 17mths a bit of a surprise also K. d

I have heard that the scent of lemons is very helpful for nausea. I found it helpful to eat as soon as I felt hungry or even before so I could kind of keep my stomach "primed" all day. I know how hard that is though if you can't keep things down. Have you tried any other types of tea. I've never found ginger tea to be very appetizing anyway (to each his own) but they do make a pregnancy tea that I found quite delightful. And if you put a little lemon in it maybe it would help more.
Rest whenever you can, even if you feel like you're being a bad mother, it's much worse to not take care of yourself and listen to your body. Maybe you could even find ways to interact with your daughter while you were laying down. She may even start to notice that mommy's not feeling well and lay down with you and try to make you feel better. Or she could be like my daughter and laugh at you while you throw up.
Take care!

Hi N.,
I am 21 weeks pregnant and have had hyperemesis with both of my pregnancies (extreme morning sickness) and it lasted until about 16 weeks. There is no miracle cure-all, but to know that you are not alone. I would sip caffiene-free coke all day and only eat when and WHAT I craved at the moment (which was rare). Don't worry about nutrition right now. Your baby is just fine. Eat WHATEVER sounds good. Also, don't think of yourself as a bad mother. This will pass and your daughter will be okay watching videos and having a sick mommy on the floor. Please don't feel guilty. Overall, you are feeling run down because your body lacks any food (or barely any) and it is normal to feel tired in your first trimester. If it continues to be bad, I would ask your doctor about IV treatments of fluids that you can get at your hospital. These treatments would give me a week or so of energy and a better stomach for awhile. The important thing is to get some fluid in your body, but I know that is even hard sometime. Do what you can N. and know that you are doing the BEST you can. Don;t worry about cleaning, cooking or anything else. Just rest. Hang in there!!!!! D.

Oh my, N., I feel for you. I was not sick at all with #1, but I was quite sick with #2--although, I don't think I was quite as sick as you seem to be. The only things that I could keep down (I swear!!!!!) were steamed clams with drawn butter and fast food from McDonald's--literally the Big "n" Tasty meal with french fries and coke. I hope that just reading this doesn't set you off, but those were the two things I lived on for a good part of that pregnancy.

If you can make it to tomorrow, your doctor should be able to help you. They do make medicines to help with such horrible nausea and vomiting. My prayers are with you.

Hi N.,

I feel for you. I am a nurse and I was working 7PM-7AM when I got pregnant with my now 7 year old. At the time I also had a 13 month old so I have an idea what you are going through. Because I worked 12 hour shifts, it was only 3 nights a week that I worked. I will say, I had a sitter who watched my one year old from 9AM until 2-3PM after nights that I worked so I could sleep. You need to get more rest.

I also had horrible morning sickness, which, I guess, is a misnomer, since I was nauseaus and exhausted 24/7. I tried the usual saltines, ginger tea. They helped some. Then I tried accupressure wrist bands and to my surprise they were very effective. They did not eliminate all the nausea and did nothing for the exhaustion, but, I remember being addicted to them. I never wanted to take them off. Unfortuneatly, you must take them off occasionally or they will really dig into your wrists. Best Wishes. Hang in there; this too will pass.

J. L.

Oh N.,
I totally empathize!!! That was me all summer long. I felt like the worst mother in the world...I have a 2 year old son who has a ton of energy. I was not able to find any miracles, but I heard ginger can help. I hate the taste, so couldn't do it. I think they sell ginger candies at trader joes! If it helps at all....my nausea got so much better around 13-14 weeks and I now have my energy back, probably around 17 weeks. I know how hard it is to get through the day....but don't feel bad, your daughter won't remember it at all. Just keep napping as much as possible and just remember it will end!!!!!! I wish you the best! Congratulations! D.

N.,
I had pretty horrible all day sickness with my pregnancy. I finally tried accupuncture and it seemed to help. Not only did I have some traditional accupuncture, but she also applied some pressure point things that would stay in place for a couple of days (tiny beads held in place with a band aid type thing.) I prefered to try this route to any kind of medication.

I also found that I had to take my time getting up in the morning - not easy to do when you have an active toddler, I know, but on the days I got up and tried to rush through my morning I always wound up losing my breakfast.

1 / 3