9 Month Old with a Cold and Cough

Hi. I have a 9 1/2 month old baby boy who has had a cough now for a couple of weeks and has just started with a stuffed up nose. At his last check up, the doctor didn't think anything of the cough... of course he didn't cough once while we were at the office. Now it is getting worse when he is asleep. We are using a humidifier and I've been putting Vicks baby rub on this chest. I even tried propping up one end of the mattress so his head would be raised. That didn't do any good because during the night he rolls a lot and ended up with his head going the other direction.
Any type of cough medicine that I've looked at has a minimum age of 4. Any suggestions on what I can do to help with the cough would be appreciated!

Try putting a lot of Vicks Vapo Rub on the bottom of his feet before he goes to bed and socks on them that will not fall off. I have tried this with both of my kids which are 7 and 4 and it has worked every time. And saved money on doctor visits. Let me know if it works for you. Good Luck and I hope the little guy feels better.

At Long's or any health food stores they have the homeopathic remedies - one of which is for cough, I had to uise it for my girl when she was 8 months and it was great - no weird chemicals and so no weird side effects, just a help in making her cough mellow and her body had the chance to fight the bug of on it's own.

Place a lot of the Vick's Vapor Rub on the bottom of his feet with socks. He should stop coughing in a matter of minutes.

You can't give any OTC meds for cough. They are too risky now. My girls have both struggled with bad coughs since an early age. We got a nebulizer from our pediatrician and use liquid albuteral when they start a cough. Talk to your ped about that.

Hi N.,

I have been using homeopathic remedies for both of my children almost since they were born with great effect. They have ones that dissolve on the tongue so are in no way dangerous (in terms of choking etc) . I a not sure where you live but there is a great homeopathic pharmacy in Santa Monica on Broadway and 7th:

Santa Monica Homeopathic Pharmacy
Pharmacy Hours:
9:30am to 5:00pm
Monday - Saturday.

Order Online or Call:
Tel: ###-###-####
Fax: ###-###-####

Address:
629 Broadway
Santa Monica, CA
90401

They always have registered homeopaths there to help you get the right remedy which is a great help too. I am sure if you are not nearby you could phone and they could mail it to you.

Best of luck!

I agree that you should go back to the doc and insist the doc give you the proper dosing for an antihistimine to dry up his nose, which will decrease the post nasal drip which can cause nighttime caughing. Also, never use combo meds. my son is under 2 and I have, with my docs help given him benedryl during bad colds and on a few occasions dimetapp for a severe stuffy nose. I got the proper dosing for his weight and only administer when he is so miserable that he cannot sleep. Using meds safely can work so long as you give him the right dosage. I do use hylands remedies and they seem to help alot. They have a cold remedy that works but has to be given every 30 minutes to be effective.
Dr sears has a website with medicine dosing by weight which is helpful. Askdrsears.com has tons of info for illness and meds.
I also agree that certain coughs can be a sign of a reactive airway caused by allergies and or viruses. It is similar to asthma and can present itself with a persistant cough or with wheezing. I use to dread coughs with my daughter who is now 5. She use to cough so much all night it would scare me. I found out at age 4 she has allergies and gets the reactive airway with certain viruses. She has a nebulizer now with zopanex which does not give her the jitters. It has made such a difference. Now, I do not fear her coughing. All along, she had trouble breathing during illness and I had no idea. Now, the nebulizer allows her to breath easily when sick. She does not have asthma unless she is sick. I would check into this and ask to see an allergist. It will make all the difference if this is the problem. Good luck and hang in there!

there are about 40 homeopathic remedies listed in the "cough during sleep rubric".on your own you can try Cham. 30C (sold in Whole Foods)if it does not work, final selection should be done by professional homeopath.
V

You may want to take the baby back to the Dr. Both of my little ones used to get colds like this and then the weezing and crouping with asthma like symptoms. She prescribed a nebulizer...and sometimes they are free through home health care. Your Dr. may prescribe some medication to put in the nebulizer with a mask for the baby's face. This has always worked wonders for my little ones. I think the medication was similar to Albuterol. Good Luck.

You've already received tons of advice and I haven't read through them all, so I apologize if I repeat something. When my son had his first cold at 11 months, the doctor recommended warming some apple juice for a cough suppressant. Your little guy is too young for honey or any sort of over-the-counter remedy. Hope this helps!

N.,

Any of the Infant's Cough and Cold stuff...they are with a dropper for the littlest ones. Contrary to med. clinics now, I used over the counter stuff all the time on both my girls(one is 16 now and one is 3!, single mom, crazy huh.). My dad is a doctor.
It is true that antibiotics wont touch a cold, but when it moves into the chest, antibiotics can then help mend. The throat and chest is an infection. A plugged nose is a virus.

So many precautions lately, and hesitation on prescribing anitbiotics...it wont hurt a bit, unless your giving anitibiotics every 2-3 months for every little thing! Obviously dont do that!

Wendy

Dear N.:

We never gave our children any medication and our beloved pediatrician agreed and supported this. The things which worked the best were (as mentioned below) saline drops, a humidifier, and, per the pediatrician's recommendation: bundling up the baby and strolling them outside at night. The cold and moist night air eliminated the coughing. Once baby was asleep, we'd stroll back and I'd sit up in a rocker all night with baby so that the nasal passages stayed open. I did NOT overheat the house. After two or three nights, all was well. Also, if you breastfeed, keep the baby on your breast and baby's healing will come even more quickly.

Best wishes,

1 / 3