Infant with RSV

I took my 3 month old baby girl to hospital this past Wednesday. They ran a series of test on her, it came back that she has RSV- respitory virus. Ok great, but now what, she is over the fever and the loose stomach but now she has a cough from down below, I took her back to Pediatrician on Friday, he said, there was nothing they could do for her, this had to run its course. Now my baby girl is miserable. I have tried the vaporizer with vicks in it, steam bath, pedialyte, we have been holding her upright since Friday (seriously) and I have given her water to loosen the mucus in her chest. Does anyone out there have any other remedies? Help me! Her cries are faint and she is weak from crying.. Her chest or her head is so congested..

Hey everyone!
We decided to take Baby Ella back to the hospital to heir on the side of caution. When we arrived the hospital was so full, we were so worried that we would never be seen. Luckily we were able to be seen within 3 hrs of arriving. The ER Dr. decided to admit Ella because of our concerns but also because she saw her grunting and wanted to be safe. I told her that I was worried about her lungs collasping. She assured me that Ella's lungs looked great in the XRAY. While we were there, there were about 7 other babies with RSV. Anyway, we stayed the night. Ella showed to be dehydrated so they put her on a sodium/potassium drip, then they checked her levels and they were high so they took her off, then they ck'd again later and they were low, so they put her back on drip for couple hours. They also had to put her on oxygen because her Oxygen levels kept falling below 90, which anything above 92 is safe, with that she stayed in the 90's. The Dr.'s assured my husband and myself that she was at the tail end of the illness and that she should be getting better. They basically left it up to us to stay another night in the hospital but there was not too much they could do for us. So I said, "let's go". She was a real saint in the hospital considering they poked her a million times. But once we got home, Oh lord, she has been a pill. But I think she knows how to manipulate us this early, LOL. I know she needs mommy contact and we are giving it to her. We know that the Good Lord has healed her, we claimed it and we know that with faith anything is possible. So with that said, Thank You all for your replies and for your concerns, it was this community that gave me courage to take her in to the hospital because you made me feel strong in what I was feeling. Most all of you validated my feelings and I spoke about you all to the nurses. Many of the nurses were so sweet but some were cynical but who cares, I got what I needed done... Thanks again!

Take her to the hospital right away. If her cry is faint and she is weak that is not a good thing and she is having to work way too hard to breath.

Didn't they put her on a respirator in the hospital? Did the doctor prescribe you any type of nebulizer machine with medicine so you can give her treatments at home? Similar to those with asthma? No? get a new doctor. Go back & ask these questions. She should have only been released if her breathing was strong on her own. The hospital should have monitored her oxygen levels. If not go back.

Have you tried the saline drops to suction her nose? She probably won't like it but it really helps loosen things up.

Go to Whole Foods or the locally owned health food store. Do not go to GNC, they don't know anything and don't care what they carry as long as it has a profit. Ask the store staff in the herbal medicine section about some herbs. For babies you can get them in eye dropper bottled liquids and put the drops in her water or juice or directly down the throat depending on the taste.
There is a book by Balch and Balch. 1 is an MD and the other a nutritionist. The book is 8 1/2 X 11 X 1 1/2 inches. Kind of intimidating but written for laymen, not professionals. It's called 'Prescription for Nutritional Healing' but it uses the abreviation Rx for Prescription. In this book you can look up symptoms and it will talk about supplements that will help. Or you can look up a supplement and it will talk about that. Very user friendly. It will help you slowly become your own expert.
I had tremendous results with Echinacea, Golden Seal, and Astralagus as far as herbs are concerned. The Echinacea is for mucous cell support. It will work on sinus congestion and chest congestion. And with these symptoms improving you will get an automatic help with any ear infection, throat pain, cough, and headaches. Herbs are subtle and don't bulldoze their way through like Pharma drugs so don't expect to see overwhelming changes. The change is gradual but consistant and much safer.
Golden Seal is for immune system support and can be used when not sick to prevent sickness. Astralagus is for deep immune system support used usually when you are sick to get better.
I used herbs and vitamins exclusively for all of my children's illnesses. We didn't do prescription or over-the-counter children's meds or antibiotics ever and my children are in 3rd and 6th grade. So I personally know that they work well. We also do not do flu shots.
God Bless

If your baby is wheezing, then get her to the ER immediatly. I know from experience that RSV can get serious fast. It sounds like she needs breathing treatments if you're not already giving them to her. The ER doc will be able to tell you if she needs breathing treatments. They will take an xray of her chest. I'm telling you though, this is serious and can get bad really fast. It sounds like, since you've had to hold her upright since friday, you should be taking her to the ER. DOn't play around with RSV.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through that, along with your baby girl. We had a bad case of bronchiolitis when my son was almost one and they gave him a nebulizer with breathing treatments. I wonder if something like that would help.

I'm awaiting other responses of mommas who have gone through the same thing. I'm having my baby this week, and I am personally freaked out by having a newborn during RSV season.

Good luck. I'll keep y'all in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Hi L.!

So sorry to hear about your baby girl. My 8 month old son was sick a few weeks ago, with a cough and runny nose. I put a cold water humidifier in his room, and it worked wonders. If you haven't tried that, you might want to give it a shot. My son was also able to sleep longer. Along with the humidifier, I put a pillow underneath one end of the mattress in his crib, and that seemed to help alot.

My son also had RSV at 5 months old. We were in the hospital with a humidifier and breathing treatments every four hours to help him get rid of the congestion. You might go back to your doctor and ask about nebulizer breathing treatments and a humidifier without the vicks. It is viral so antibiotics will not help.

Be agressive with your doctor. Don't leave them alone until you are satisfied your daughter is on the mend!!

Dr. Singh in Tomball Texas placed my daughter on a nebulizer using 1 vial of Xopenex 3x a day for a week. This worked great for my daughter. Her congestions cleared up and she was so was able to breathe so much better and alot faster than just waiting it out. I don't think I could have handled just waiting it out and watching her be so miserable. Hope this helps.

M. C.

Go to ER or another Doctor.......

1 / 3