Excess Coughing at Night Causing Child to Trow Up, Runny Nose, Chest Congestion

Hi I have a 3yr old and a 21 month old they both have the same sympthoms. They have a bad cough especially at night causing them to throw up mucas. They have a runny nose and chest congestion. Does anyone know of a over the counter medication I could possible give them? I have tried Tylenol multi-cold.....with a much lower dossage.....of course. Benadryl sinus & allergie.....lower dosage..... It helps but not well enough. They have had these symptoms to long now.

I too experienced the sames exact symsptom with my 2.5 y/0 daughter. I tried over the counter meds but it never resolved the cough,runny nose. After a wk and a half of the same symptoms, I took her to her pediatricians. She was prescribed Amoxicillin. This was her first ear infection and throat infection. Take care

My daughter had this very same problem after we moved to Central Texas. I was in denial for over a year, but she truly does have asthma. The night time cough is a major symptom. The pollen and allergens in this area is very high. Please go to the pediatrician or to a clinic and ask about preventative nebulizer treatments in addition to rescue treatments. My wake-up call came when we were rushed to the hospital by ambulance after several unsuccessful breathing treatments were performed in the doctor's office. My daughter was vomiting up phlegm and was very oxygen deprived because she could not catch her breath.

I know this sounds crazy, and I'm guessing you have other responses that will say the same thing.........Vicks Vapo Rub on the feet.

Give them a nice warm bath, get their PJ's on, rub down thier feet with Vicks Vapo Rub, put on thier socks and tuck them into bed. You will be amazed at the results. Can't explain how or why it works, but it does!

Sounds like they may have asthma. I would take them to the doctor, just to be on the safe side.

Over the counter cough medicines do not work. We tried them with our son, and his cough never seemed to go away. He was finally diagnosed with asthma.

It's well under control now.

Good Luck.

Try dimetapp (sp) cold&allergy or cold/cough. Also try baby vapor rub on Chest/feet. Lastly teaspoon of honey (even works for adults well)

you need to take them to the doctor, it sounds more like asthma to me if this is a persistant problem with your kids.

Hi, I am not really quick to try OTC products...to many recalls and side affects. I did a little research and found the best natural remedy for a cough is honey, buckwheat honey actually and saline solution for the nasal passages, I like Ocean but there are others. I gave the honey to my kids and they slept very peacefully during the night when they had a cough. I also gave some to my nephew and his mom found out later that his pediatrician swears by it, even sales it in the office! If you try an OTC I would recommend Umcka for children. If this has been going on for a while or if the mucus is yellowish or green, I would suggest going to the doctor. It may be an ear or upper respiratory infection.

I have a 3yr old and a 5 month old with the same symptoms. I've been using benadryl for the 3yr old and my pediatrician said I could use a quaret of a tspn for the baby, ( I only tried that once, it didnt do anything). Niether of them have had a fever so the Dr. said dont bring them in. I'm at a loss too. We haven't had too much cough, but a lot of congestiopn and mucous. I do have humidifiers in their rooms and I got a little thing called a SinuCleanse, I love it. I've been buying them and giving them as baby shower gifts. It is a super fine mister for the nose, it gives little measured doses of sterylized saline water. and it's safe to use on infants. Getting drops up there can be hard, and my baby screams when I suck anything out with the nasal aspirater but she hardly flinches or notices when I mist up her nose. You dont have to stick it way up there, you just put it right in the opening, I think its a must have for all parents. It's been helping, but I still dont know what they have, I guess it's just a cold. Good luck T. M mother of three under 5

When that happened to my child I took her to the doctor, they were concerned. Musinex was a MUST. They also gave her an antibitic that REALLY helped. I would suggest the doctor on this one. NO MILK and lots of pedi-a-light (gatorade watered down)

1 / 3