7 Month Old with a Cold

My 7.5 month old baby girl has a bad cold. I know that I don't want to use any cold medications for her, but my doctor's nurse said that it is ok to use pediasure vapor rub or strips. Does anyone have feedback on that? I want to make sure it is safe for her. I would appreciate any other suggestions, as well. We are already using a humidifier and saline/aspirator.

Ok....thanks for the help. I am sorry to say that the cold was actually RSV/Ear infection. So I don't have to worry about OTC meds. I have to give her the real stuff plus breathing treatments....which is horrifying. She absolutely hates it. She is like me and hates to be confined.

I used Johnson and Johnson vapor bath. Let the baby smell the vapors in the bathtub. That worked for my babies.

i found that vapor rub makes a waterless vaporizer. You plug it in to the wall and put a little square that is soaked in vapor rub inside and it fills the room with the vapors, its doesn't make any noise, you just plug it in and the heat makes the vapors fill the room and worked great with my 9 month old. It has a light on it and it usually lasts for a day or so.
good luck, hope this helped!
S. K

My son is 10 months old and he has been taking Robitussin DM (adult bottle) occasionally for a cold for past 4 months. That was recommended by his pediatrician. The dosage amount was the same as for Infant Tylenol (.8) so I always used the Tylenol dispensor when giving the medicine. You should ask your Dr about that medicine. My son seems to get colds a lot so when he gets one and is really congested in his lungs my Dr will prescribe Albuterol cough syrup. This last cold (with congestion in lungs) would not go away so my Dr. prescribed breathing treatments, plus an antihistamine (Allegra). I also use saline and aspirator to clean out nose and a cool mist humidifier. Elevating one end of the crib mattress also helps if your child doesn't switch positions in the night where the head is lower than the body (which mine did). Good luck. K.

put the vapor rub on her feet at night ( the bottoms) helps with her coughing as much. also, i used little noses and little colds... those seemed to be ok to use when i asked. and it helped ease the sniffles a bit, however, i'd only really use things at night to help sleep and rest( nap times) during the awake time i did nothing. unless there was a fever involved!

If you are nursing you can squirt breastmilk up her nose to help with the congestion.

I also have a 7 mo. old little girl and the vapor rub works wonders. I also tried the vapor bath it works good too.

good luck, hope this helped!
S. K

The vapor rub works amazing. Also a cool mist humidifier is much better. Use bottled or purified water to ensure the air quality for the baby and clean it every other day with hot water and some oil vinegar.

The vapor plug ins work well, too. We still use it for my 2yr old . . . I know how you feel, I remember how hard it was to decide whether or not to give my baby any OTC meds before he was one. His cold became so bad that he got a sinus infection (runs in the family) and he had to be put on an antibiotic. Not all meds are bad, if what you are trying doesn't work talk to your pediatrician about OTC meds before it gets too bad.

1 / 3