6 Year Old with Headaches

My six year old son is complaining more and more frequently of headaches.. their seems to be no pattern to it.. At first I thought he was trying to get out of doing his homework or chores but now i'm not to sure... I took him for a vision check and that was fine.. So now i'm leaning towards allergies but I don't really want to put him through allergy testing if not necessary or worse yet a cat scan if god forgbid something worse...

Any suggestions/experieces with headaches in a young, very active boy...

FYI - we do have a family history of allergies, migraines ** thanks everyone for the responses.. my husband loves his chiro I hate the chiro I can't stand massages but we'll see we have a dr appt on weds for the kiddo. ***

Thanks to everyone after out drs appt she put in him on some allergy meds and we're going to keep a headache journal to see what happens.. so far only 1 bad throw up headache but i'm thinking it's allergies...

you can try eliminating different trigger foods one at a time for a length of longer than 5 days to see if this helps. Or there is a blood test for food allergy antigens, which is easier than the prick tests.

if you want to try eliminating, start with Dairy, then soy (soy lecithin is an ingredient in LOTS of things), msg, preservatives and food dyes are culprits a lot too. Then go for the big one, Wheat and Gluten.

see if you can find a copy of "Is this my child?" I know Amazon has it. It talks about kids and food allergies.

I know that some headaches can be caused from something as simple as not getting enough water. Some kids may drink lots of things but still be dehydrated because the body wants water. So, that might be something to consider.

Dear Jamie,

My daughter who is now 26, had headaches simliar to what you are describing needed more salt in her diet. I have never added salt to my cooking. I hold water too much so I just eliminated thinking it would be better all the way around. After many test and doctor bills...it was lack of salt in her diet. It took 2 years to find that out! She even passed out from it several times so be careful if this is the case. Hope this helps.

Dear Jamie,

My daughter tends to get headaches a lot too. I was so worried also, and took her to get her vision checked too, which came back normal. Well, one day she was really complaining of a headache and it worried me so much that I took her to her doctor's office and she ended up ordering up a CT scan. Well, everything on that was normal also, thank the Lord! So, we talked about what to do next, and I was with you. I didn't want to have to bother with all the allergy testing either, but actually, her doctor said that she doesn't really like having allergy testing done on children anyway, because their allergies change all the time. So, what we did was decide to give Singulair a shot. It was kinda "treating" the allergies, to see if there really was an allergy issue. I already knew that at one point Aryana had allergies, because before she had her adenoids out 3 years ago, they did testing on her. But, that doesn't mean much now, because all those allergies could have disappeared in that amount of time. So, I agreed to the Singulair, she gave me two months worth of samples, and it really did work! She still gets the headaches sometimes, but it's gone from about one a week or more to one or two over the last few months! It may be something you could talk to his pediatrician about atleast and see how she feels about something like that. By the way, I know every kid is different, but I have personally found that Singulair is the one allergy medicine that has no side effects on my kids. I've tried Zyrtec, and oh my goodness! My kids seriously grew horns overnight! It was unbelievable how grumpy it made them! With Singulair though, I couldn't tell a bit of difference in any part of them.

Jamie-
As a pediatric chiropractor I usually have parents check out the website www.icpa4kids.org. It is a great resource for finding a pediatric chiropractor in your area.

That's a rough thing for a little kid to experience. I highly recomment homeopathy. I take my son (and myself) to a homeopath in Naperville. DS has eczema since 1mo old and it's under control now. Getting better all the time w/ homeopathy. It's natural remedies to help cure the root cause of the problems. Our homeopath is Dr. Josephine Polich. She wrote a newsletter on treating headaches (see link below). If you want more info, please feel free to email me. I am so amazed at how well homeopathy worked for my poor baby's eczema that I shout it aloud to everyone! :-)
http://www.dupagehomeopathic.com/newsletters/headaches.pdf
Best of luck.

Had the same experience with my son when he was 5 years old last year, took him to doctor and righ away he said is sinus infection, prescribe antibiotics, but the headaches kept coming, check his vision everything came back o.k., finally because I insisted he had the cat scan and it was still sinus, so after another treatment of antibiotics, we get rid of the headaches. I was thinking the worse, but thanks God it was just sinus...

Hi J. ~

I've learned with my kids that it's better to let your Doctor know ALL the signs and sympthons ~ if you believe that something is really wrong they will run tests on your son. I ended up having the same problem with my son when he was a baby and by the time he was two ~ I was so sure that something was wrong with him ~ a Doctor on call once told me that I was a parnoid mother. After all my persistance ~ they did fine something wrong and he was taken care of. Just make sure they do all the testing. It's better to be safe than sorry. In the end it might not be something major. Mommies always go with there gut feelings!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

I would suggest trying nutritional microscopy. This is a test where the practitioner takes a drop of blood and looks at it under a microscope. They are able to see from the blood where you have imbalances within the body. They can see if there are allergies present, whether the digestive system is functioning properly, and much much more. If they see that there are allergies, they will tell you to go to an allergist, but at least then you know that you have reason to put him through this. I'm not sure what area you're in, but I know of a good nutritional microscopist in Indiana.

1 / 3