5 Year Old with Headaches

I am at my wits end!My 5 year old son has had headaches for about a year now. I took him to the Dr., and we had his eyes checked, and a few other simple tests. He concluded that it was PROBABLY, not definately from allergies or stress. Now he has begun getting them more severely and frequently, this week he had one for 3 days strait, he wouldn't eat or do anything, and ended up vomiting with one, so I took him to the Dr., and he again did nothing! Again said it was probably allergies! I am very worried about this, and have my mother's instinct that says something is not right here! Has anyone else had this problem, or if you just have some advice about it! I just don't know what to do anymore!

First off thank you eveyone for your help! I did go to another doctor for a 2nd opinion today, and Cat scans show nothing, which is good, but he says he does have migraines, which unfortunatly can not be treated in a 5 year old! The next step is to figure out what is triggering them! I do not smoke, nor does anyone he's around, and he's had the same diet forever! I am going to keep a log of everything he eats and does, and see if I can find a trigger! Thank you all so much for your help!

M.,

I know how difficult this is. My son too had severe headaches out of no where and some would last for days. I took him to a specialist and they did an allergy scan on him after all other tests failed. They determined in deed the headaches were coming from allergies. He is allergic to cigarette smoke and certain types of grass. They gave him a nasal spray to use for now and it has done wonders for him. If you need to talk send me a message.

I have read everyone's responses and I agree with everyone. Migraines can be very complex. I had migraines as a child and I would suggest the catscan, MRI, or EEG. Hopefully nothing will be found. In most cases nothing is. I wanted to respond to you because nobody mentioned the dentist. I would do this first. I went through all of the above and it ended up being from griding my teeth. It may even be teeth shifting or TMJ. I hope this helped.

Well 1st take him to see a neorologist. My son has been having headaches and migrains since he was 3 yrs old (and maybe before but 3 is when he started telling us) he is 11 now. we dealt with the doctor telling us things until he was 7 and this is when I took him to see a neorologist. If you want to talk more you can email me at ____@____.com

J. P.
mother of 4
2daughters 3, 10
2sons 4,11
and wife

M.,

Go with you gut instincts! Find another Dr. & get another opinion.

What you're describing isn't normal, nor should your son suffer without some sort of follow up. Sounds like it's getting worse. Having his eyes checked was a good start, which I assume was normal. If it is allergies, he should be seen by an allergist to find out if & what's bothering him.

Are there changes going on @ home/school/daycare which may be stressing him. You wrote that you are a newly single mom, sounds like some ____@____.com world as he knew it may have changed and he doesn't know how to handle it. What may seem minor to you may be overwhelming for him. He see things through the eyes of a 5 yr old.

He maybe worried about you. Ask him if anything is bothering him. Maybe he's being bullied @ school/daycare/ friends that you're not aware of.

Make sure he's getting enough sleep and is eating well.

Try to watch what he eats. Keep a record of what he eats & when he has a HA. Look back over the last 24 hours and see if there is a common food. Watch for foods with preservatives or MSG in it. Limit sweets.

He's had these HA for too long without knowing the cause. If I was having frequent HA's without testing to find out why, you better believe I'd find a Dr. who would believe me.

I hope he feels better soon! Good luck!

K. :)

Regardless of the situation, if your doctor isn't listening to your concerns and investigating them, you need to either be more firm with him/her or change docs.

It does sound like migraines, as others have said, and while 5 is incredibly young for them, there are treatments available and your child doesn't have to be miserable just b/c a doc doesn't want to do his/her job.

M.,

If the head aches have gone on for this long I would demand the Drs do a cat scan or MRI of your son's head (if they haven't already). Good luck, and let us know how he is.

The first thing that comes to mind is a sinus infection. Ask him where exactly he hurts. If he is having pain in his cheekbone area and near his nose, and/or his forehead, that is what it might be. It could have started as just allergies and just recently blown into a sinus infection. Does he have a lot of nasal drainage? Coughing? (Coughing is due to the nasal drainage). The vomiting is likely due to the nasal draingage as well, because it can trigger the gag reflex. He'll need an x-ray of his head/sinuses to prove he has a sinus infection.

If it isn't a sinus infection (it completely goes away and then comes back a few days later), then it might be migraines. Ask him if bright lights bother him, if he sees anything funny or smells anything funny right before he starts getting the headache. It's common to get nausea and vomiting with a migraine, too. These are the things that come immediately to mind, hopefully that helps.

I would definitely switch doctors, or have yours refer you to a specialist. It could be something a lot more serious than allergies, and with him vomiting, kinda sounds like migraines. I'd just keep it on the safe side and take him to someone else. Keep in touch, I'd like to know what you find out. My boys are 5 and 10 and M. is 2 1/2

J. R.
http://www.stayinhomeandlovinit.com/cgi-bin/team.cgi?id=J...

Have you ever tried chiropractic care? I know people who use it for everything...I'm not one of them, but my son had a cold for about 2 months and I had finally had it, so I took him to a great doctor who didn't crack him but did very gentle massage techniques to adjust him. Two days later all of his cold symptoms had cleared up -- it was amazing! I don't know where you live, but I can give you more info if you'd like. If this doesn't help...I would definately get a second opinion. Follow your gut...God gave you your instincts for a reason.

Take him to the Hospital IMMEDIATELY and have them do a CAT scan of his head. I am not trying to worry you (and this may be nothing) but I have had 2 children who have bled into the brain and those are the exact symptoms. Mu youngest (who is 13 months now) was only 11 days old and my son is 5 (his just happened in Jan. of this year) and this is just a precaution, but it is better safe than sorry with your children and I have learned the hard way that it can happen to you. I will keep your son in my thoughts and I hope everything is fine with him. If you have any more qustions feel free to message me.

M.,

1 / 3