6 Month Old Won't Sit up on Her Own

I have a 6month old daughter who just won't sit up on her own. Her nanny and I try to sit her up and we count to see how long she will stay up. It has gone as long as maybe 30 seconds but that is it. We prop her up on high pillows and she squirms around until she falls over. Her grandmother recently bought her a walker, so sitting in that is strengthening her back some but I don't know if she is being lazy or she is just a slow developer. I worry because she will hardly eat more than 4 spoons of food before she wants her bottle and she has been on jar food and cereal since she was 4 months. She was born on the small side only weighing 6lbs. 9 oz. She also had RSV for two months when she was 3 month old so she lost weight then and she doesn't seem to be gaining it back quickly at all. She only weighs about 14lbs. now and she wears a 3-6 month with a little room. Am I overreacting and need to give it more time or should I be exercising her motor skills more. By the way, her mouth works just fine, because she can get louder than everybody else in the room when she is trying to talk.

Thanks so much for the overwhelming amount of responses. Everyone was insightful and knowledgeable and pretty much concluded that I just need to let her take her time and go at her own pace. Almost everyone suggested the Bumbo seat, so I will stopping at Wal-mart on my way home today. Thanks again to all and be blessed!

Hi E....I really wouldn't worry too much. All babies progress at different rates and even though it is easy to look at everyone else's babies and compare...DON'T! I have a 20 month old that didn't sit up until late...I bought her a Bumbo chair and it helped her a lot. By the way...she is now way ahead of most of the kids in their motor skills...

Good luck!!

You may want to ask her pediatrician whether it's possible that she's taken a developmental hit from her bout with RSV. Perhaps she'll catch up, perhaps she needs physical therapy.

The short answer: Give it more time. = )

My newest is also 6 months old and not yet sitting up unsupported for more than a few seconds. It's all good, she'll get there when she gets there. Remember, all the 'milestones' are just guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules. The clothes sizes are the same - my one friend's little boy was wearing 12month clothes at the age of 4months, and my first DD was always a full size 'ahead' of herself until she hit the toddler years. As for being 'lazy' that is not really a category that applies to infants this young.

Just to give you an idea, my older DD (now 4yrs old and was always perfectly happy & healthy) didn't crawl until she was 13 months and didn't walk until she was 16 months.

One question for you: are you using the Bumbo seat? I have one for my new daughter and I'm wondering if because that supported her so well that she didn't learn to use those muscles as early as she might have (or she could just be a slow developer, like her big sis = ) We've just started putting her in the Megasaucer for a little while some days, and that is certainly a workout for her, in terms of sitting up. = )

Oh, and my 6 month old isn't much into her cereal yet either, a few spoonfuls and then she's done trying. We started her on cereal at 5 months, now I'm adding different veggies to it to change the taste of it (she seemed to like the sweet potatoes, going to try something green this week. = )

Don't stress yourself out- babies develop at different levels. As a physical therapist I can suggest ways for your to aid her but remember not to push it- if she gets frustrated stop and try again another day. Make sure she is still getting plenty of floor time to develop these skills herself- put toys around her that she would be interested in so that she is encouraged to sit or move toward them. Walkers, exercisaucers and bouncy seats are good for trunk control- I just caution hazards with walkers! They can be dangerous and do not assist in mobility of your little one. Let her sit between your legs so you can support her back and read or play with a toy at her eye level- this will promote the seated position.
She's just at the brink of sitting as a developmental stage so give her time but if you are truly concerned always talk to your doctor.

I just read about your daughter and I was curious to how she was doing now. I am guessing she is about 7 months old now. From what I read she was very small for her age due to being sick and all. That would definately explain why she wasn't sitting up on her own. I'm guessing becuase she hadn't fully gained her strength back but I do understand your concern. I am sure I would be concerned too. I hope she is doing better since you wrote this. God bless and take care.

Hello,
you can try a walker....sit her in it and if you need to put in some blankets around her so she does not wobble around and just leave her in there, you will get used to being in the "sit up" position and eventually do it by herself...i think its the easiest because you don't have to constantly watch her. make sure she has some toys to play with on the walker (the on either with wheels or not.....both of mine loved it because they were happy to see everything, just like if someone was holding them...

I would give her a bit more time but if you get concerned call your pediatrician and raise it. My daughter was born a month early weighing 4lb 14oz - she just turned a year and only weighs 17lbs and still fits in 6 month clothes! She was the same way when it came to eating too. I started putting my daughter in her be-be pod when she was 3 months old and used some blankets to prop her up and she was sitting up by the time she was 6 months old. I would also use her boppy pillow and sit her in her crib with some blankets around her to help her sit up as well at the beginning of 5 months. You might want to try these if you havent already. Good luck!

Hi E.,
It's good to run concerns by your pediatrician, but i can tell you that my twins didn't sit up until 9 months. The pediatrician recommended PT which they did for about 6 months. The funny thing is that these same boys who had 'gross motor delays" started riding two wheeled bikes when they were still 3 and were dribbling basketballs at 2. So, I say that so you know that slow starts with motor skills doesn't mean slow development forever. Also, my boys had RSV, they eat like horses and are small--just who they are and now that they will soon be 5 I'm comfortable with that.
Wow--that's a lot of money on clothes---I'd like her wardrobe! Just remember that as well intended as they may be, when everyone around her tries to spoil her rotten, you'll be the one who will bear the brunt of that burden. I have a friend who told me, "I only have one child, so if I wanna spoil him rotten and give him everything I never had, than I will." Now her son is 14 and she's regretted that decision for many years and trying to tell him 'no' to anything is a huge battle that ususally ends with him winning.
J. :-)

Hello E.,
I would suggest calling the local county infants and toddlers program. It is free and they will come out to your house to do an assessment. If she is delayed in her gross motor skills which it sounds like she maybe then they will give her physical therapy free of charge. They are very good at what they do. My son receives services from them and he has benefited greatly. Also about the weight issue. Ask your pediatrician if he/she is worried about your daughters weight if she is not then you shouldn't be either. If she won't eat the stuff you are giving her then give her stuff she absolutely likes. (i.e. peaches, applesauce....).
hope this helps

This is certainly a question for her pediatrician! But my mom-advice is that she probably just needs more time because of the RSV. If she had it for 2 months, well, that's 1/3 of her little life! Nasty business that RSV is...my son had it when he was 6 months old. Best of luck to you!

1 / 3