How Can I Make My 6-Month Old Sit up by Herself?

My six month old daughter seems to have a hard time sitting up by herself. She has no trouble sitting in her highchair or on my lap. as long as she is supported she is fine. Without support she'll just fall over. She also is very wiggely and rather stand up and jump! What can I do to encourage her to sit? Any ideas?Thank you very much in advance!

In one day, I got 12 responses! Thank you all so much for your advice, helpful hints and reasurance! I guess I ended up just second guessing myself, if I am encouraging my baby enough to achieve certain milestones. You could call it first-time-mom syndrome. I'll let you all know how it goes and in the meantime we'll just have fun! Thank you very much for your time to help me!

I have five children. Only three of them actually sat up on their own. Some children never even do it until after the are standing on their own. From what I have learned there is no way to make a child learn sitting, standing or even walking quicker. It is just when ever they are ready and comfortable enough to do it.

I used to prop my kids up with the Boppy pillows and regular pillows. That was before the Bumbo thing came out. I think that my twins did not sit up fully unassisted until around 8 mos.

Hi! You need a Bumbo seat. They are the best things, better than a Boppy! Try Googlying Bumbo Seat! Let me know if you need more information??

Hi, I would not try to force her to sit up until she is ready but what I did with my kids was sit them in the middle of a boppy pillow. For my 2nd child I bought the baby bumbo chair and she was sitting up at 12 weeks old in it. Great item and worth the $$$ My kids also both had Evenflo Megasaucers and they were great from 4 months old and the babies love bouncing in them. Hope this gives u some ideas.

As a pediatric physical therapist, let me reassure you that all children develop at their own rate. 6 months is the age and stage where children begin to sit up and support themselves, not necessarily when they accomplish it 100%. I would recommend a regular visit with your pediatrician just to be sure he/she doesn't see any underlying issues. Then there are lots of fun, play things you can do with your little one to encourage her to sit up and to develop her trunk (abdominal, side and back) muscles to help her attain that goal. You can play a "sit up" game where you lie your daughter on her back on your thighs while you are seated comfortably. Hold both her wrists (not hands as this can put undo stress on the little wrist) and gently pull her into a sitting position, encouraging her to lift her head first then help you more and more as you play. Once she gets into the sitting position, blow a raspberry, give her a kiss on the nose, anything that she finds fun and entertaining (believe it or not, laughter in babies is a very effective way to strengthen muscles) because it will make her want to do it again and again. You can also sit on the floor with her surrounded by lots of toys. Put her in a seated position and then support her only at the hips so she doesn't totally tip over. Then have your hubby engage her to reach and grasp objects so that she has to lean to the side and the front and sit herself back up. Above all, play with your baby. This isn't meant to be stressful for either of you. It should be fun and entertaining, that's what makes it work. Unless your pediatrician finds some underlying issue (which is doubtful) you should see progress steadily but not necessarily overnight. Be patient. Kids develop at their own rates. The guides that give ages where things should be accomplished, are just that, guides. Have fun with her!

I agree that you can not force your child. 6 months old is still young and they say that all kids will do what they want on their terms at these young ages so just be patient. We had a bumbo but my youngest hated it and it also has a huge warning as some kids have died from use of a bumbo. I never recommend putting it on a table top or up some where high with your child in it (no brainer right, but that is how some kids died) Good luck.

try a boppy pillow, that worked great for me with my little ones.

six months in the early spectrum of being able to sit on her own. Most children will sit between 6-8 months old. Don't rush her developmental milestones, rather enjoy each stage as they come . All children will develop on their own pace. My son didn't sit independently until 8.5 months ( later side of the range) but other children

Until she is able to master this skill, give her the opportunity to sit for small amounts of time either with a boppy pillow or pillows surrounding so she doesn't hurt herself.
Also try engaging her in activities that require sitting as well.

I used the boppy pillow for my grandkids it works great it is soft if they do fall over they don't get hurt.I also used a lap tray and sat it in front of it for toys. I liked it because it helped them learn to use there own strength and coordination.

1 / 3