5 Month Old W/ 102.5 Fever

This is my baby's first fever. I called the doc, the nurse told me to give her tylenol and the doc will call me back. I'm just wondering what else I can do in the meantime. She's not very crabby and she's playing with her toys like normal. It just seems like 102.5 is really high and I should do something more. Any suggestions?

Babies can take a higher fever than adults can. In fact, many times Drs. will just suggest keeping them comfortable. If she is "feeling" ok, then let it ride out. It's normal to panic, but in babies, this is actually a good thing.

Now, if you or I got a 102 fever, then you need to go in and see an dr. right away.

Motrin is better to get a fever down quickly. Try not to stress too much as babies can cope with a fever that sounds really high for adults.

I know how you feel, a couple of months ago, my then 18 month old, got a fever of 105.9, I freaked, called the doctor at 3 am, she said to take a towel and run it under cool water and wrap him in it. It brought it down by 2 whole degrees. I was going to run to the E.R. he turned out fine. I also alternated between tylenol and mortrin, that works. Good luck.

Our nurse told us that anything under 103 is considered "low grade" and tylonal and a cool bath is enough to keep it down. If she gets a rash after the fever breaks, it's probably roseola and there's nothing you can do about it, just wait it out. Keep her away from other babies for a few days just in case :)

I'm super concerned with idea one person suggested of waiting until it hits 105...organs will shut down and fail at that temperature.

I always judge a fever by where a temperature normally runs; not everyone is 98.6. Personally I normally run at 97.2 so when I'm around 101 I know I'm pretty sick, and it rarely gets that high so when I have a fever at all I'm concerned. My sister normally runs at 99.4, her average, so she doesn't worry until she's around 103 or so. My son can generally handle 102 fine but rarely goes over that so if it were 102.5 or 103 I would be concerned; point being it just depends on the person, we all "tick" differently.

Alternating doses of Tylenol and Ibuprofen/Motrin is the best way to bring it down, though as another mother said fevers are natural occurrences in the body and happen for a reason. If she seems ok, just keep her comfy. Maybe she is teething. If so she may also get a runny nose and diarrhea, it'll go away. If its a virus it'll just have to run its course, however if the fever persists for more than a couple days you should suspect infection and take her to see the doctor.

Best wishes for he speedy recovery :)

My pediatrician said that babies and toddlers often have higher fevers to simple viruses than older children and adults. If you took the temp rectally, it is probably of less concern, too, since it is acurate or even a little high that way. If you took it under the arm, you may need to add a degree and then it is a little higher than comfortable (it would be 103 or so.) I've been told by my pediatrician if the fever is high for a long time, to alternate Tylenol and Motrin so that you don't have to wait as long in-between doses (i.e., Tylenol is usually every 4-6 hours and Motrin is usually every 6-8 hours...but if the fever persists after 2 hours of giving Tylenol, you can give your child Motrin after that) check with your health-care provider since your baby is still very young and under 6 months. I've also made the mistake of putting my infant in a cool bath...which will make the fever rise higher sometimes instead of lower. They say if you bathe them, put them in lukewarm water, never cold or hot with fevers. Anyway, good luck. If you don't feel like your doctor is responding, use your best judgement and take them to the ER. I think it's better to be safe than sorry and mother's intuition is worth something. Also, if the baby winds up having an ear ache, I found out the hard way that sometimes the first antibiotic prescribed is not powerful enough and the baby will still continue to fuss. It's good not to give kids too many drugs and weaker antibiotics are better to start with, but do be persistent with your pediatrician...they are there for you, and you will eventually get more comfortable with knowing what's important and what's not. If they say call back or bring the child in again in a few days if they aren't better, do it. You are your child's best advocate.

It's tough when they're little and not feeling well. As long as you've given her Tylenol and she's not complaining, just keep an eye on her temperature. If she's eating and playing like normal then she's fine. I wouldn't give her Motrin or Ibuprofen because those pain relievers can sometimes mask other symptoms. Stick to the Tylenol and don't overmedicate her. Her fever is her way of fighting/protecting her from a cold/flu/virus, etc. Hopefully the doctor will be able to ease your concerns as well. Hope she feels better soon.

hi! - we just survived a 103.5 fever - it was scary. Here's what I learned, room temperature baths were really helpful when the fever spiked - I could tell it was spiking b/c she would get really fussy. So, we'd put her in the bath and pour the water on her arms and down her back. She hated this - but after awhile, relaxed. Be sure to have room temp water - not too cold. Otherwise the fever will rise as her body tries to address the cold water. I also gave her children's tylenol - alternating every 4 hrs w/ children's motrin. I've recently heard that's not a good thing to do - so do some research to determine what you feel comfortable with. Of course, lot of fluids are really good - just have liquid around all the time for sips. I also gave her rice cereal and applesauce - the dr. recommended this type of diet. While 103.5 seemed quite high (and still does) I guess 105 is considered high/dangerous for a child (that's when it affects the brain). So don't be too alarmed/scared at the 103 mark - just keep close tabs on it. one more thing - I slept in her room while she had this fever - so I could hear her get fussy when the fever spiked - a couple of times I caught a 'spike' and put her in the tub in the middle of the night.. also, keep her head, hands and feet uncovered (so the heat can escape) it's really stressful and scary - but it will work out - peace and blessings to you!

Hi A....

How old is she? When my son had a fever that high I put him in the sink in luke warm water and just used a washcloth to cool him down...it seemed to comfort him and lower his fever for a little bit.

Just make sure to keep her hydrated...make sure she's drinking...

Kim

1 / 3