4 Month Old Has a Rash

My 4 month old son has a rash on his belly, back and shoulders. It looks like little white bumps and gets a little red at times. It doesn't appear to bother him (itch), but just curious what it could be from. Anyone have any ideas?
thanks!

When my son was little he would get a rash like that when he had ear infections. He would have no other symptoms that I could see, no crankyness, no ear tugging... The rash was the only way i ever knew he had an ear infection

It could be heat rash. It's been pretty hot lately and if you are keeping him in a blanket he may just be getting overheated. See if dressing him cooly makes a difference. Good luck!

If he's breastfed, it may be a reaction to your hormones....a form of baby acne. He probably would have gotten it before 4 mos., but you never know.

My daughter would get the same thing right before she got a cold or started cutting teeth!

A., it is called fifth's disease. I have worked in a daycare for 9 years and have seen it several times. It is contagios. It doesn't hurt or itch. It is a strain of the chicken pox. Call your doctor, them my want to see it. I suggest goole this or go to webmd and look up fifth's disease to learn more about it.

My little girl had what sounds like the same type of rash...looked like a bunch of little pimples....hers was right above her butt....we took her in and it was a form of staph infection....and her throat was red too....may want to get it checked out. Not to scare you but, I've heard that is what measles looks like too....good luck.......Missy

A.; hmmm could be heat rash? dont know sorry , D. s

I would look at your laundry soap first - or to any clothes you are putting him in that are new an unwashed. New clothing contains formaldahyde and flame retardants that are skin irritants.

It is quite common for babies to have allergic reactions to laundry soap. Most common brands contain chemical compounds that are dangerous for all of us. Look for laundry products that are completely natural, fragrance-free and baby safe.

Once you have ruled out these possibilities, you may find that the rash goes away...

If you are nursing he could be allergic to something you are eating. My daughter would get rashes on her belly and chest and it wasn't until we started her on solid foods and she ate a banana that we found out she was actually allergic to them. I had been nursing and ate bananas not knowing that was the cause of her rash.

Of course, if you aren't nursing then my response is pretty much useless! LOL

1 / 3