Rash on Infants Stomach and Back Only

My nine month old son has recently developed a small light rash all over his stomach, chest and back. It is not on his chin or face. It almost looks like heat rash or prickly heat --- but it is not hot! He has been drooling a lot lately -- teething. We haven't changed any of his soaps or detergents. Any ideas? He was just at the doctor for an ear infection and when I took him in for his recheck his ears were okay -- no rash at that point.

Thanks to everyone who responded. It made me feel better just to hear that others have had this experience as well. This morning I was going to call the Pediatrician to have them take a look at the rash just in case it was something serious -- and it was gone! I guess it was just contact dermatitis or a viral rash, but either way it seems to be gone! Thanks!

Sounds like to me its a viral rash. Everytime my son gets a virus (sometimes it's so mild we don't even notice he's sick...just a little fussy or something), he will get that rash. The most commom places for babies to get the viral rash is where you are describing...the stomach, back, and chest. Most ear infections are caused when the gunk for a cold or a respiratory infection gets trapped in the ear. And lots of times the viral rash is the last symptom to show up. If he acts fine, I'd give the rash a good 4 or 5 days to go away. If it doesn't, I'd ask the pediatrician again.

It is common to get a "viral rash" after having been sick. You said he had an ear infection. If it is the viral rash then it is just the body's way of saying "I am sick."

Also, look at his tongue and make sure it doesn't look like the texture of a strawberry. Check his temperature too. A fever and the strawberry tongue accompanied with a rash on the torso is a sign of scarlet fever.

Does it itch? If so it could be an allergic reaction to a food or something in the air. Was he outside playing in the grass? Some children are allergic to grass. If it itches a nice oatmeal bath and some benedryl will feel nice.

Rashes are so mysterious because they aren't the sickness all by itself. They are just a symptom to an underlying cause. Finding the underlying cause can be quite challenging. God Bless~

My son had such a rash on the same areas, and nobody could say exactly what it was, just that it was a viral infection. They at first thought it could be rubella, but, thank God, it was not. If I were you, if the rash is not gone in a day or so, I'd have him checked out. It could just be an allergic reaction to something, but to play it safe, I'd take him to your doctor.

It could be a viral rash since he just had an infection. If not, then it may be the start of excema. My son developed it at about 10 months. Try to stop using any chemicals on anything that touches his skin. Like, Laundry detergent, soap, hair wash, lotion, etc. If it goes away when you stop using the chemicals, then you found your problem. We are a "green" family now, and his excema is totally gone...it was gone 2 weeks after we stoped using chemicals.

could be strep take him in to the doc

Try changing your soap and laundry detergent. Vanderbilt Neonatal Intensive Care uses Basis soap on the preemies. I used Dreft laundry soap when my kids were little because they had sensitive skin. If it does not go away take your little one to the pediatrician.

My son was sick with a very bad cold; I took him to the doctor, who thought he might have RSV. In the doctors office I noticed for the first time a faint rash of small speckles all over his torso. The doctor said that it looked like a typical viral rash. It turned out he didn't have RSV, and the rash soon went away.

Alternatively, sometimes a food allergen can cause a rash. Did he eat anything new (raspberries in yogurt for the first time or something like that)? It's really best to hold out until baby is at least 12 months before giving the foods that are common allergens, like wheat, dairy, strawberries, raspberries, peanuts, nuts, etc.

Hi S. T

Maybe it is the material of the cloths. Try cotton and see if that will help. Also cut back on the soap you use to wash his cloths in. Wash his cloths alone. And get a natural soap that would not hirt his body. Go to the pharmasist and see what they have. My son when he was young had a breaking out also. I was told to use a soap made of oats. It did help gradually. Check it out if you like. It just might help.
These are just Ideas
Take care
Vicki W.

1 / 3