3 Yr. Old Vaginal Itching

My daughter has had vaginal itching off and on for about a month. I took her to the doc. a few weeks ago and the doc said that it was probably due to bubble baths or possible dirt that has irritated the area. She told me to stop giving her bubble baths and to put triple antibiotic on the opening of her vagina. If it continued then to use some anti itch cream. We have done all this but my daughter is not getting any relief! This maybe due to her continuing to touch her vagina so it gets irritated I just don't know. I called her doctor and she basically told me not to worry about it just keep doing what I am doing and it will go away. This answer made me feel uncomfortable and I plan to make an appointment this coming week to have her seen again. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with vaginal itching with such a young child. Is it possible that she have a yeast infection?? Any ideas or advice would help.

I would go to the pharmacy and get some over the counter clamitrozole cream (often used for athlete's foot!) It has always worked for my daughter when she gets yeast irritation. My pediatrician recommended it and we've had great success! If she's in diapers, leave them off and keep the area dry whenever you can. If not, go with loose fitting pant and just cotton underwear around the house.

Yes, it is possible for her to have a yeast infection. My daughter had this same problem, adult medication on the other hand is not advisable. yeast infections are caused by sugar imbalances. What worked for us is acidophilus, it can be found in the vitamin/healthfood section in liquid (which I would recommend) or pill form. It is also found in yogurt, so give her one a day till she's better.

I would say that she has a yeast infection. Probably just an external one I would assume first. To treat her, I agree with the baking soda bath, you'll notice a reduction in the redness right away. But also get some lotrimin antifungal cream and desitin. Apply a thin coat of the antifungal cream and cover it with desitin. Repeat this for a couple days and she should get relief. One thing that I watch for with my daughter is a diaper rash, but it is spotted more than red all over, that is my first clue that I'm dealing with yeast rather than just irritation.

Kindest Regards,

My daughter is 11 yers old and I have always given her baking soda baths at times like these. A palmful of baking soda stirred into a very warm bath and have her soak for at least 1/2 hour.

C. McCollett, CBE, CLD, MWA
The Westside Birth Connection
###-###-####
www.westsidebirthconnection.com

Do not use lotimin antifungal cream. That is for athletes foot and is not to be used in such a sensitive area.

My 4 year old had this and it was because she was not cleaning herself good enough. At her 4 year check up I asked the Dr. She said she sees it alot in girls 4 and 5. It can become a yeast infection and said we could use vagisil etc. We didn't use the vagisil but cleaned her really well and it has since gone away. I would have her tested and get some different ideas on how to treat that.

Try not giving her bath at all try showers, and Cephlin soap which is for very sensative skin, both my girls went thru this and it is a pain, they are 9 and 11 and both if bathed still have problems with that so they shower, also Vagisil ich cream is great for it and won't hurt her.

My doctor suggested for my girls to have them soak in a vinegar bath. Put about a 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of vinegar in their bath water and let them soak in it. He told me that he does it for his girls, even the older ones.

1 / 3