Could My 3 Year Old Daughter Have a Yeast Infection?

Lately my 3 year old has been sayig that her vaginal area hurts. I have looked to see what could be causing it and its red and when I touch it she cries. I thought maybe since shes potty trained she isnt wiping well enough. I do see what looks like toilet paper build up inside and I use a wash cloth to wipe it out and put baby powder on it. It seems to help for a little while but like a week later she complained again. I don't want to go to the doctor if its nothing. I have done that so many times since she was born that I freak out over something that turns out to be nothing. I can't really afford to waste money on something that could be nothing. I also don't want my daughter to suffer so I thought I would try to get some help from all you moms. I will probably ed up taking her to the doctor anyway but please tell me if you have had anything like this happen to your daughters. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Well first of all, thank you all for your imput. She hasn't had any problems. If it happens again I will be taking her to the pediatrician. I also have decided to wipe her clean every night or every other night with baby wipes and I will be sure to get rid of the powder. I had no clue that you were not supposed to use powder down there on babies, doesn't make sense to even sell the stuff. But any way, I want to thank you all again for taking the time to help me feel better about this issue and about being paranoid when it comes to my daughter. I think that when I get a chance to go to the store again I will be getting the flushable wipes so she can do everything on her own a little easier.

Antibotic use and diets high in sugar/yeast (this includes things the body turns to sugar: fruit, pasta, juice, crackers, etc) are common causes of yeast infections in children. If you can see a relationship to these things and her pain, maybe it could be yeast. If she eats yogurt (regular or soy), I would try to increase her intake as it has elements which protect the digestive tract from yeast.
Otherwise, she may be irritated because of soap, laundry detergent, powder or normal self exploration. I would avoid using anything other than water. Hope she feels better soon and good luck.

My daughter got them every time i used different soap. i have to use free of every thing soap. The dr gave her medication and over the counter lowtramin (anti-foot fungus get the generic) and it went away but quit using the baby power because it is making it worse. Good luck. I would take her to the drs because she might need medication for it and the baby power might be helping the infection.

Is she sore in/near the vagina area or near the vulva (where she pees?) If she is sore in the vulva, then you could rub a little desitin or vaseline near the area to protect her skin from wetness.

If she is sore and red in the vagina area, has she been taking antibiotics? If she has, then a yeast infection is likely.

And I hate to mention this, but my sister-in-law's pediatrician warned her about girls masterbating at that age. He indicated that it was very common, so doing a little questioning or extra observation might not be a bad idea.

If it keeps going on, I'd take her to the doc. I know that they may make you feel wierd about coming in when its nothing, but I've always felt that I'd rather be safe than sorry. It just means you're a good mother and are doing your best to give the very best care to your daughter. May all little girls and little boys have moms who love them so well.

All the best,

My daughter has the same problem sometimes. I believe it's from not wiping well enough. When she gets irritated like this, I just use a little A & D ointment after I clean it. We also have Huggies clean team wipes next to the toilet and they seem to help....I've even used them myself on occasion.

My dd (2 1/2) just had vaginitis. The drs. think it was from diarrhea for a few days and the dirt just irritated her. They took a urine sample (from a catheter because she refused to go on the potty or in a diaper for 2 days) and her bladder was very full. They also suggested a warm water or vinegar sitz bath. She loved sitting in a little tub of water and playing for 15 minutes several times a day (we don't have bathtubs, only showers, so it's a unique event here).

I would definitely suggest taking her to the dr. if she's complaining. It's not worth it being something more and you not taking her. Good luck.

If she has a yeast infection, you should be able to see tiny red bumps, not just a red area. If you do see red bumps, you can use lotrimin. If you just see a red area, you can use any diapar rash cream with zinc oxide, or a wonderful powder called "Caldesene." We call it "Pink Powder" in our house because it comes in a pink container.
My kids are no longer tocclers, but we keep "Pink Powder" on hand anyway! Good Luck!

Its very possible to have a yeast infection. I would say that in addition to the toilet paper, the baby powder is part of the culprit. Baby powder is a bad idea for females because when you add a dry powder to any wet area it will form a paste like substance. That alone is a bad thing for a private area. I would also invest in some flushable wipes to help clean the area untill her skills in wiping develop. I would aslo make sure that she is wiping from front to back to make sure that she isn't spreading e-coli (found in the bowel) to her vaginal area. E-coli is considered normal flora to the bowel, ie good bacteria, but it can cause an infection in the vaginal area. Alos, I would ask if she is taking baths? Baths in girls can have them sit in soapy water that is not healthy to the vaginal area. Its best to have her soap up in the shower and soak in the tub with clean water so she can play and have an enjoyable time. If you suspect a vaginal infection or even severe vaginal inflamation i would take ker to her Ped. to have it looked at. Good vaginal health is important at any age. It would be a shame for her to have her later fertility impared due to an infection that went untreated.

I would take her to the doctor to rule out a urinary tract infection. My daughter had this as well and we were told to use Lotramin AF (athletes foot cream) and it worked like a charm. I used it as directed but i used it at night especially so that it could work while she was at rest.

Good Luck.

1 / 3