12 Year Old's Birthday Party Ideas

Hello Ladies,
My soon-to-be 12 year-old is having a birthday party this year and we're not agreeing upon what to do. She wants a "red carpet" party starting with a literal red carpet going down our front walk. She wants to decorate the whole house like a flashy, glamorous Hollywood party with "paparazzi" taking pictures of the whole shebang. I don't have a problem with most of that - it would have to be toned down, of course - but the bone of contention between us is what will everyone do once they arrive. When I suggest different arts/crafts activities she get a look on her face, like she's on an elevator and smells something bad but is too polite to say anything, and says "no, I don't think so." But when asked for something else she can't give me any answers. It's driving me nuts. I get the feeling she wants something more along the lines of a tween cocktail party. I'm not thrilled with that.
So - any suggestions that we could possibly both agree upon and get excited about? I'm willing to do a little extra work to make it happen if necessary but not willing to shell out buckets of money.
I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance.

Thank you to everyone with their comments and suggestions; there was not a bad one in the bunch. I went over them with my daughter and we've come to a happy plan for both of us. Weather permitting, we're going to turn on the pool heater and let the 5-6 girls she's inviting swim for a couple of hours. Afterwards, she wants to rent a movie, do eachother's nails and eat pizza. What could be simpler? The house will be decorated "Hollywood" style with lots of sparkly stuff, as will the patio area. She's very excited about it and can't wait to pick out bags of nail stuff for each girl.
Especial thanks to those of you who backed up my feelings that what she initially wanted was too grown-up. I remember being that age and wanting bell-bottoms and platform shoes thinking those were very adult. Boy, have times changed.
You ladies are the best.

I say nix the idea. i'm running into the same thing and found out the girls at 12 are already starting to do the one-up on each other. i suggest go ice skating or bowling...something that's more age appropriate

good luck

Try this website:

http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/play_parties_1.html

This woman won a contest for best Hollywood party for her daughter. It should give you some great ideas.

Also, you could rent a karaoke machine so they can "act" out all their favorite Taylor Swift, etc. songs. You could make up Grammys for their performances and have different categories so everyone wins. The shy ones could sing in a group.

My only suggestion is you could use red wrapping paper as the red carpet and just roll it out.

I wouldn't do the cocktail thing either, but you could spritz up some special punch and use really nice punch cups/bowl.

You can have her friends be the Paparazzi and then they can go to the theatre and see the latest kid movie or into the house to see whatever has been recently released on DVD.... you can serve some "grown up" snacks like wings, pizza, popcorn. You can also have some smoothies to get over the "kid" thing. 12 yo are really beyond the arts and crafts parties unless she is into that kind of thing.

Or you can have a girls only sleep over. That is always popular with that age. I would suggest, if you do that, that all cell phones be checked in with you when they walk through the door. Texting can get out of hand in a hurry!

My daughter had a Hollywood themed Murder Mystery party. Red Carpet, Hollywood background for pictures. I downloaded the whole thing off the internet and it had two versions, one adult and one childs. My daughter was 15 so we did the adult version, but everyone had a great time and really got into the characters. Good luck, it's a tough age to please.

Try this website:

I like the idea of a movie party, with popcorn and snacks. I don't get the whole paparrazzi thing. Who are the paps? You? Her friends? It's just sounds weird to me. Like "Look at me!". Kiddie drinks seem like a bad idea. Kids are getting drinking habits early on and having "mocktails" seems to be encouraging them that adults need drinks to socialize. Smoothies would be more age appropriate. Honestly, and I might be wrong, I would go bowling or camping or something. The whole "look! I'm a star!" thing seems to send a very self centered message.
Anyway-- good luck!

good luck

How about making it like a movie premier and screening one of your daughter's favorite movies during the party? Buy lots of popcorn and movie theater candy.

I had planned a party for my 16 year old but we cancelled at the last minute due to some circumstances beyond my control. This is what we had planned. Our theme was movie premier /oscar night. Oriental trading has a red carpet and some really cute movie premier items. Food was going to be just a few appetizers and pizza. Entertainment was going to consist of cranium (my family loves this game and it requires acting, drawing and music skills), Rockband on the 360, swimming (we have a pool), a scary movie and photos. I'm not sure how much you are willing to spend but I wasn't going to spend tons of money but my idea was to buy those life size cut out pictures of movie stars and have them be silly and take pictures. We have the kodak easyshare camera and printing dock so we could print right on the spot. The twilight characters are really popular among the tweens these days so that was one consideration. My son, the birthday boy, likes Angelina Jolie so that was another one we were looking at. i already own a hannah montana one so we were going to place her out there just to add to the stars but I think 16 year olds would have just colored a mustache on her. LOL! But for 12 year olds how about troy and gabriella from high school musical. I also was going to have have awards like someone listed below but it wouldn't apply to your age group. For your age group I think you could take the opportunity to show them that its not all about looks. Awards can be given out for "best life of the party", "best personality", "best friend to all", "best secret keeper" and so on. I'm sure we wouldn't have finished all the activities but I think it's best to have back up activities because sometimes a activity you think will last an hour only lasts 15 minutes. I love the goodie bag idea someone had below. I hope this helped a little.

When my daughter turned 12 earlier this year we had a spa like party. We had 7 or 8 girls come. I had pizza and finger foods (popcorn, fruit, etc) I moved the coffee table in the living room and set out blankets so they could chill out there and if something spilled no big deal. We said they could come in there pjs. They painted each others nails, watched a movie, played games and 2/3 hours later it was over. They had a great time. the goody bags I sent home has lipgloss, memo pads, pens, candy. We wanted to give mini bottles of nailpolish but couldn't find any.

1 / 3