Throwing a Birthday Party for a 13 Year Old Girl!?!?

Hello All!
My boss just called and he wants me to put together a birthday party for his daughter who is turning 13. He is a single dad, and is at a loss to what she wants. So since i'm a girl, I guess I should know right? WRONG!
I wasn't your "typical" 13 year old, that we have nowadays. I read books, did horsebackriding etc.
This girl is going to be picked up in a limo with 10 of her friends and taken to a water park.
Afterwards, they are coming to the house, that I have to decorate-but not childishly!! I have daughters, but not older ones.
Should I do pink and white? pink and purple? balloons? crepe paper? signs? WHAT?
I have until Friday night to figure this out.
THANKS MAMAs!

Oh my goodness! Thank you all so much for the overwhelming help and advice I received on this request!!
I was able to contact the dad about her likes and dislikes. (Giving him a few ideas you gave me) He said hot pink
and zebra accents would be exactly her style.
JoAnns had inexpensive ribbon and window paint in Hot pink and zebra.
We did "girly food" like strawberries, gumballs, tarts and a beautiful cake that matched the pink theme.
You can see pictures on my site www.completeclean4u.com Look under photos.
I wrote down TONS of ideas for when my own girls turn 13, just another few years away!
Thanks mommies!!

I would do a helium balloon/ sparkly lilac and pink decorations (yes crepe paper and signs) with lots of yummy food (teenagers eat a lot) and music/ a place to dance. Maybe karaoke? Set around the early-teen game questions for them to talk about. Someone could be there to help them with face painting and nails? Think Hanna Montana, though they might think they are too old for her.

Maybe instead of doing pink...do a themed party??? Maybe disco or award ceremony type theme. That way you really don't need to know what she likes...just how to decorate the theme!!

My daughter's favorite birthday is one I wasn't even at!! I was in Chicago undergoing medical treatments so my twenty something cousins had a makeover sleepover for her. All of her friends got their hair done and makeup done (by the cousins so no expense!) Then they got to have a "project runway" style fashion show. Next the party guests were split into teams and each team got to makeover one of the cousins (there were 3). Then THEY had to do a fashion show. It apparently was the hit of the year because it has been over a year and girls still come up to me and tell me how much fun they had a my daughter's party!

Also...beware of using pink unless you are sure she likes it. My daughter is very girlie BUT hates pink! Blue is her favorite and she is very adamant about no pink.

When my friend's daughter turned 13 they did a pizza/cooking party. Each kid had a small pizza crust and they all put on their own stuff and baked them, and then they did the same for decorating cookies. Music blaring and video games and NO boys.

Have fun with it.

See ya!

Check out this website www.gocreativejourney.com. You could do some really fun stuff such as create a banner for the b-day party based on her favorite interest, which would also end up being something to could hang in her room, or even just a super large customized photos. You would want to know what her interest are, for example, if she loves fashion, you could have a customized picture done of her as a fashion model on her favorite magazine cover, etc. or if she loves a particular sport, etc. Good luck!

I am right along the same lines at Wendy E and JC's responses. I think hot pink, black and white is a trendy and hip color scheme. You could get feather boas from the craft store for the girls to wear. You could also get jewelry supplies in those colors and they could make their own bracelets. If you have the time you could take a trip to IKEA and find things that match the color scheme. Their stuff is usually pretty cheap. I threw a 70's party for my hubby and got vases that I filled with bright blue and green sand and set little votive candles in matching colors on top of the sand. I also found a really cool vinyl shower curtain that I cut up into funky flower shapes and put in the center of the table cloths under the vases. Looked cool. Possibly they have something funky and trendy in hotpink/black too. They usually have super cheap big picture frames that you could buy and either blow up pics of the girl from kinkos to hang around the party space, or just blow up zebra prints, black and white flowers etc... You could also get small unfinished frames and the girls could paint them. I like Gerber daisies and putting a few in a vase with a zebra print ribbon tied around the vase would be really cute. IKEA might have some cute hotpink/white/black plastic serving bowls for snacks too.

A TOTALLY DIFFERENT IDEA: If they are girly girls, you could set up a spa room. Instead of worrying about birthday decorations you can decorate the room to feel like a spa. Tons of throw pillows on the ground, mood lighting, spa music, fresh flowers etc... you could get a bunch of pedicure supplies and individual plastic tubs and they can sit around in a circle of chairs and have a pedicure party. You could play spa music and have small snacks. They could drink a fruity drink in margarita glasses or champagne glasses rimmed with sugar. If you wanted to go all out, you could have cucumbers, masks, facial steamer (they have them at Target) etc... When they are all done they can do their hair and their makeup on each other.

If it were me, I'd try to talk to the girl a little to find out what she likes. My 10 year old still loves pink and purple, but who knows what she will like in 3 more years.

Here are a couple of ideas to throw at you:
Have a more grown up type of party. There is a place that will come to your house and do manicures and pedicures on the girls.

Every girl likes to play dress up, get their hair done and stuff like that. Maybe contact your local salon and see if they accomodate parties. I know a lot of the beauty schools do, so maybe that is an idea.

If she isn't very girly and likes video games, there is this company that rents out an RV by the hour that is outfitted all the most popular video game systems and video games. They even include an attendant in case there are any problems. (It was $150 for 1hr but $300 for 3hrs)

If she likes jewelry, maybe take her out to buy charms, beads and equipment ahead of time, and have all the girls make a bracelet or necklace as momento of the occasion. (if you live in the east valley, check out artjems.com)

I guess what it all boils down to is knowing the girl and what she likes.

I would decorate with bright colors. I recently saw a party that was hot pink with zebra print accents. You could go get a few yards of zebra print fabric to use as table cloths. You don't even have to hem the fabric-just get hot pink ribbon and once you put the fabric on the table tie each corner with a hot pink bow. Make sure the seams are kind of tucked under before you grab each corner to tie. Use hot pink balloons, hot pink plates, etc. A huge vase filled with hot pink gerber daisies could be the centerpiece. You can make a birthday sign with a 12x12 piece of zebra print scrapbooking paper-print the letters out on hot pink paper and glue or tape to the top of the sign. Punch holes in the top and use coordinating ribbon to hang the sign on the front door. You could have tables set up for doing nails, pedicures, make-up etc. I know I always liked that when I was that age. Good luck!

well im 13 and im throwing my own party if i were u pink and white out of those choices streemers yah ( no party hats but no signs ) just think of what you would want if u were turning 16 cause every 13 year old wants to be 16 just saying and what the heck is crepe paper? hehe :} -anjelica

1 / 3