10 Month Old with a Constant Runny Nose

Hello again moms! I have a question similar to one another mom recently asked. My 10 month old son has been sneezing with a runny nose for going on a week now. He had a temp of 100.2 on Tuesday but now it's back down to normal. He seems to be draining mucus (sp?) ok, but when I try to suction him with the bulb syringe he fights me like a grown man! Usually, he'll sneeze and have mucus drainage, but he will either sniff it back up before I can get to him with the syringe or he will thrash around fighting me and get himself so worked up that he'll re-inhale the mucus because he's so upset. He is usually cooperative with any other baby maintenance procedure I give him (baths, clipping finger nails/toe nails, cleaning ears, etc), and he will even hold still while I take his temp rectally! I know he would get better if I could just clear his nose, but he absolutely hates the syringe and I don't know how else to get the mucus out of him. And I really hate to hold him down because I feel so bad making him cry, plus I don't want to hurt him or squeeze him too hard trying to hold onto him. Does anyone have any ideas on getting him to calm down and be still long enough for me to clear out his nose? Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all for responding. I got him the non-ascidic vitamin C and have been giving him about 1/8 tsp twice a day in his bottles and it has really helped. I also gave him 1/4 tsp of Baby Benedryl for the past 3-4 nights and that helped him dry up so he could get a good night's rest. His runny nose is much better! Thanks again for all the responses!

I had the same problem and my son hated nasal aspirators. Then I found the Nosefrida, a Swedish aspirator, mentioned in a blog. I ordered it (even paid overnight shipping - I was desperate!) and I love it! The link is http://www.nosefrida.com/.

I have to warn you - the concept seems really gross, but it works so well. I've told several of my mom friends about it, and they now sing its praises, too. My son still flinches a bit (probably a gut reaction from being poked with the aspirator for so many months!) but it's much easier on both of us and gets so much more mucus out. It gives him such relief. Definitely do saline drops as others suggested and then use the Nosefrida if his mucus is more on the thick side.

Good luck! I really hope the Nosefrida works out for you! :)

What about taking him in the shower with you? I let the bathroom get really steamy and then would take my son in with me. I'd give him tub toys to play with while he sat in the shower with the water barely spraying on him and scrub him up, it helped loosen all that junk up and a lot of it runs down the drain. Be ready to grab tissues when you get out to dry off and wipe away. I still stick him in the shower when he's really bad or at least in a steamy bathroom while he plays in the bath tub that way he usually sneezes a lot of it out and I swipe it with a wash cloth. The steam will really help no matter what.

I use the Bebesounds NasalClear Nasal Aspirator. It's soooooooooo wonderful. My two year old is so used to it now that she hums along with the aspirator. It is at Babies R Us for only $19.99. Here's the write up about it: "Able to play 12 tunes to help distract your child while in use, the NasalClear Nasal Aspirator from BebeSounds quickly, easily, and safely clears your baby's stuffy nose and helps her or him to breath more freely. The aspirator also provides you with suction that is stronger than that of a traditional manual aspirator, yet gentle enough to use safely and comfortably on your newborn."

I find that using a cool mist humidifier at night and during his naps helps. Just Nebulziers (http://justnebulizers.com/humidifiers.html) has some cute ones at pretty reasonable prices. My 22 month old son loves to turn on his before he sleeps. Even though he is obviously still uncomfortable, I find that he also sleeps better with the humidifier...probably because of the soft white noise.

If you decide it's necessary to use an aspirator (and I think the electronic ones sound terrific!), I would wrap your little guy in a blanket before you even touch his nose. My daughter was on a feeding tube (which ran through her nose and into her tummy) as an infant, and I had to learn to put those back in whenever she would pull them out (at least every other day!). Let me tell you ... that girl could FIGHT! But we laid her in the center of a receiving blanket, with her head pointed toward one corner. Then, with her arms next to her sides, I'd take one corner and wrap it across her front and tuck it under her body as tightly as I thought she could stand (that's pretty tight). Then I'd wrap the other corner across and tuck it under her, too. Of course, I'd sing and giggle with her while doing this, to keep the focus OFF of the wrapping. Then I'd straddle her feet to hold them still (with my legs) while I did my thing using one hand to hold her head. She still got mad, but she was "contained" enough that I could usually get done quickly. Then I'd unwrap her and tell her what a good girl she was. We'd sing together or have her favorite snack. (and I'd try not to let her see me cry ... it's so hard to have to "pick on" your baby)

Is the mucous actually interfering with his breathing? If is is draining on its own, I would not bother trying to clear it out. The mucous is there for a purpose - to protect his irritated nasal passages and get the virus out of his body. So unless he is so stopped up that he can't breathe, I would leave well enough alone and just wipe what comes out with a tissue.

It sounds like allergies. I have 6 children and 1 one year old grandson who will be 2 in December. My grandson kept a runny nose. I kept him a lot because my son and his wife were Seniors in college with a newborn baby. Here is how I was able to suction out his nose without me fighting him or him fighting back. I would sit on my bed, put him in between my legs and put my legs on top of his arms(the only thing that is free and that he can move is his legs) You have pretty much pinned him down(he is going to be MAD!!!) but in this position you have total control and it can be over quick with the results you are going in for :). This way you can suction his nose with 2 steady hands and don't have to worry about going in too far and hurting him. Make sure you hold one side of his nostril while suctioning the other this way is more comfortable for him. Using Saline drops a few minutes before will help loosen it before you suction. I assure you this is easier and quicker for the both of you. Let me know how this works out for you

G.,

Have you tried Benadryl or any other antihistamine?. This will dry up all of his secretions and you won't have to fight him at all with the bulb serynge. But, if you don't want to do benadryl, you can also try to treat him to his favorite snack. I know that bribing with food is not the best option, but when all else fails, that's what works for us.

A. H.

1 / 3