10 Month Old Wants to Stand in the Tub While Getting a Bath

OK, I know that I shouldn't be using a bath seat anymore... especially since she's pulling up, but I don't know what to do. My daughter will pull herself out of the seat and want to stand in the bathtub. I know there are larger tubs for babies that you can buy... can anyone suggest one that has worked well for them? Also, how do you get them to stay sitting or is this a lost cause??? I just don't want her to slip and fall... even if I hold her with one hand I have so much trouble giving her a bath. PLEASE HELP! Bath time is loosing it's fun!

Try putting a plastic laundry basket in the tub. It gives the baby more room but is not as big and slippery as the tub itself.

Good luck and enjoy these days. They pass so quickly!

Good Health Made Simple

I gad the same problem with my 10 month old and I ditched the bath seat.it seemed to help he doesnt want to stand up as much now but I also I give him bath toys to play woth.One more thing I only put about an inch of water in the bottom of the tub so it is safer.

Put something in the bottom of the tub so it's not slippery. Every time she stands up just sit her back down and tell her she needs to sit in the tub. It shouldn't be much of a problem because I assume you stay with her every minute. If it's stressing you out just make it a short bathtime.

Both mine did this. My 18 month old still does it. He has tons of toys, he just thinks it is a pool. I got a no slip mat and will try to sit him back down. Ha-rarely works. In trying to find a positive, it helps me make sure his bottom is really clean since he is standing.

I found it easier to just take a shower, (he plays on the floor) then bring the baby in the tub and give him a bath with me. He's just turned 14 months old, and it's worked out fine. He stays seated for 99% of the bath. I always tell him "no standing" - "when we stand up, we get out". No playing in the water when that happens. He does fine with it that way. Might not work for everyone, but it's an idea.

http://kidexpressshuttle.com/

Both my kids did that at the same age. I would just hold on for dear life and make the bath quick. Or I would skip the bath unless it was really needed. Kids that age don't really need a bath every day. My kids still try to stand up in the bath but I tell them to sit and they usually do.

Yep, its fun to stand and she's not giving it up for a bath....You probably take a shower and she wants one too! You can bathe her standing in the tub on a non slip surface/bath mat/towell or take her in the shower with you but sitting down is not much of an option for till the next big adventure begins and she finds something else facinating!

Hi A.. Here's a CHEAP solution that may help... use a round or rectangular laundry basket put into the tub along with the water. That way, the water flows through the little holes in the basket making it easy to bathe the baby and also if the kiddo stands up at least he/she has a rim to hold onto. You have to be in there with them the whole time (obviously) to make sure they don't tip the basket over (more a concern witht the round basket, not so much with the rectangular basket). Hope that helps! We did that with all our kids.

Continue to tell them to sit down. I give one warning, "sit down or get out" the next time they stand, they are out of the bath. Both my girls now sit in the tub - I have a 3 year old and a 14 month old. Yes, my youngest will occasionally stand, but now I jsut tell her, "Maddie, sit down" and she sits, she knows she doesn't want to get out. Stick with it, kids need limits on their behavior and you are working to keep them safe, good mommy!

You'll be surprised what she'll understand if you tell that standing up will end the bath immediately and then follow through. Even if you didn't get completely done washing everything tell her once and sit her down-- if she gets up again pull her out. Bath time is over. she will catch on in only 2 or 3 sessions. All of my sons went through this and simple follow through worked every time for me.

Jess

1 / 3