10 Month Old Daughter Screams and Wiggles During Diaper Change.

Help! It is becoming impossible to change my daughter's diaper. Everytime I need to change her she screams and flips to her belly. She even does this on the changing table. I don't understand why all of a sudden this is upsetting to her. I've tried giving her toys, new things to look at, etc. She simply does not want to be changed. Any ideas/suggestions? Is this a phase that will end soon? Thanks ladies!

Thank you ladies. I appreciate all the advice! When I change her on the changing table I use the straps and give her something to keep her distracted. When I change her downstairs, I try to pin her down with my legs and give her something to hold. She has been a bit better, but it is still a challenge. It is nice to know that I should not be concerned and it is normal. Her twin brother doesn't do this at all so I was a bit concerned. Thank you so much!

My nearly 10 month old son does the same thing. I usually give him my phone which is also an mp3 player. The music is a good distraction and allows me to change him without the struggle.

The only thing I can think of about that is that it is cold when you pull off the diaper and she might not like that. How about putting a blankie over her when you are changing her? Just a thought.

Try chewing bubble gum during the diaper change and blow big bubbles. I did that with my son during this phase, and he was interested in seeing the bubbles getting big and pop.

Or, change on the floor and gently stick your legs straight out so it's securing their arms and they can't flip over.

Hey M.,

What a pain in the butt no pun intended. I have three kids and the youngest did the same thing it was truly impossible and incredibly frustrating to change a diaper. I had to learn to change his diaper while he stood up. Yes you can learn to change a diaper and a poopie diaper while your child is standing up. They are so young you really can't reason with them so to save yourself and them the frustration give it a try. I'm going to assume that you've already tried to redirect their attention to something else or gave them a toy or food to chew on while changing. Best of luck.

My daughter did this for a while and still does occasionally (she is 16 months old). My husband sometimes comes in and plays peek-a-boo with her while I change her to distract her. We also try to sing her favorite songs. It will pass. Don't get upset, and if she really gets upset, let her be in a wet diaper for a little while and then try again.

Props to you for still using the changing table. We had to abandon it at 7 months with both of our boys. Yes, both our kids went through the same wiggle-butt phase at 10 months. As hard as it is, they do outgrow it. I try to have a distracting toy or something to ease up on the wrestling!

2 out of the 3 of my kids were wiggle worms! Give the the diaper or wipe to hold. It gives them an "important job!"

I had the same problem with my son and called my pediatrician for advice. Basically they were thrilled with the news and told me he's doing exactly what he should be doing at that age. Great - so how does that help me?! Haha. Anyway the key is NOT to get upset, don't try to hold her down or raise your voice. For sure that will just upset you and make the situation a lot worse. Just start trying to sing songs she likes, or do things that normally make her laugh. You only need a minute, unless it's a blowout poop, so a quick distraction can get you through it. Otherwise, just do your best, hang in there, it does get better eventually.

1 / 3