Diaper Change Crisis....

Every time I lay down my 9 month old baby to change his diaper he starts to cry... I tried to give him toys, something to play with but the only thing he wants to do is to run away.... Is that normal?? Any ideas?? Thanks and happy thanksgiving....N.

Wow, probably the most unanimous panel I've read by far. All moms are saying it's normal.

I would enlist my kid's help, like asking them to pull out a baby wipe, open the A&D cap, but be very careful b/c those tasks can backfire when you find the entire baby wipe container emptied and the entire tube of A&D squeezed out on top.

A piece of tape is very distracting and time consuming. It just goes back and forth and back and forth from hand to hand.

My 9 month old does the same thing sometimes! Oye. I tried toys...no luck. I tried singing...sometimes works. I recite his favorite books....sometimes works. I let him play with the tube of petroleum jelly that is off limits at all other times...works every time. Or I let him play with a travel wipes in crinkly plastic while still sealed...works every time. I think it's because he can't ever have those things otherwise. So maybe the trick is to find something he normally can't have? Seems to have worked for me over the past few weeks at least so we'll see if it lasts:)

Pain. I'm there too. Just keep laying him down and saying "please lay down so I can change my diaper." It does pass!

Talk to him, sing to him, involve him in the process (do you want to hold the wipes?, etc). I think they'd just rather be doing anything else :)

Oh, yes, definitely normal! you will feel you gave birth to a wiggle-worm instead of a baby!

Aside from being super-fast, and distracting him, the only other suggestion I have would be to enlist help from another person during diaper changes. Tag-team the little houdini! ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

K. Z.

It's normal...and annoying. Just do it as fast as you can and have everything ready to go. My 11 month old STILL does this. You'd think we were trying to snap off his limbs or something.

Normal. Just asserting himself!

Dont worry, my little guy is the exact same way, every time. Toys are a split second distraction and then back to trying to run off.

I sing to him to get him to sit still for the minute it takes to change it. It works quite well actually. I sing all kinds of songs, sometimes I just sing what I am doing lol. In weird voices even sometimes, and with funny faces, and he just laughs and before he knows it he is done.

1 / 3