1 Mnth Old Projectile Vomiting After Feedings

My 1 month old daughter has begun to vomit excessively shortly after feeding. The episodes do not seem to be causing her any discomfort, but I am really beginning to worry that something is wrog. Her doctor said that she is fine and that it is normal, but to watch to make sure it doesn't begin to happen more frequently. I have been hospitalized once and to the E.R. once since she was born and have been on antibotics. My OBGYN and her pediatrician have both said the meds I have taken should not be affecting her and that it is safe for me to continue breastfeeding while taking them. Please help!

Thank you to everyone that responded to my request for help with figuring out why my 1 month old daughter is projectile vomiting. She is still vomiting, but my husband and I have decided to give it until this Monday to take her back to the doctor. I stopped the breast milk and began giving her Enfamil, but she still vomitted so we feel that it is not my breast milk with antibotics in it. Thank you Tashina S,. Melissa A., Nancy A., Whitney C. and Crystal for your advice!

10/09/07: Thank all of you again for sharing all your feeding experiences and advice with me. My daughter has stopped the projectile vomiting, hopefully for ever, and is doing just fine. What I ended up doing was waiting through the weekend to see if she would stop, start breastfeeding again (only) and burping her after about 5-10 minutes of feeding and then allowing her to finish.

Have you asked your baby's doctor about Gerud? It kind of sounds like that to me. It is when babies can't keep their milk down. I have a niece that when she was a baby she would spit up her formula to the point that it was just like a hose shooting water out of her mouth. I don't know if this will help, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the doctor.

T.,
Honestly, as long as your baby is not showing signs of discomfort, this is probably just a laundry issue.
The most common cause of "excessive" spiting up in breastfeeding babies is Over active letdown.
You might notice that when your milk lets down your baby gulps at the breast....
This can cause babies to take in too much milk at a feeding, and then spit a good bit back.
If you would like more individual help with this, e-mail me at ____@____.com I am an IBCLC and would be happy to help you work through this.
L. G

try burping her more often

My daughter also had this problem. I took her to several doctors, who performed many tests, including upper and lower G.I.'s, ultrasound, you name it.

She would projectile vomit up to 20 times a day, yet she continued to gain weight normally and otherwise be normal. The doctor put her on some medicine for Reflux, which is what they diagnosed her with, but I didn't like the glassy-eyed look she would get when on the medicine, so I took her off of it myself...good thing, too, as that medicine was later found to have seriously harmed children, and in some instances, caused the death of some babies.

We tried every single formula out there. Breast milk, she would vomit up, all formula's, soy milk, goat's milk, etc...she would always vomit it up, so I know it wasn't an allergy. She simply had some kinks in her system.

Thank goodness I found the best home daycare in the world, or I don't know what I would have done. Most daycares won't or can't deal with a child who vomits 20 times a day.

We ended up just having to let her outgrow it. She stopped vomiting so excessively when she was about 11 months old. It was a serious trial to go through. I always had to carry multiple hand towels around everywhere we went, just to mop up the vomit, not to mention the laundry I had to do! Well, you can imagine.

However, just because her problem was Reflux doesn't mean that is the problem your child has. You should try your child on a few different formula's, in case of an allergy to breast milk. If you can, take her to a pediatric gastroenterologist, who specializes in intestinal problems for children. Make sure all of the tests are done, because she could have something like an intestinal blockage or stomach spasms or some kink in her intestines. They checked my daughter for all of those things, and she didn't have them, but you never know.

Good luck...but keep in mind, as long as she is gaining weight and her throat isn't sore from so much vomiting, she will probably be ok. I would definitely take her to another doctor, though, if your gut feeling is that there is something wrong. We know our children far better than our doctor's do.

I am studying to be child development psychologist and am a mother of three (all breastfed for over 1 yr until they weaned themselves). I am not a Dr, but have taken nursing classes and am also studying to become a lactation consultant and postpartum doula.

Projectile vomiting and even spitting up is not normal reaction of breast fed children, and while it could be your meds causing this you have stated that she still vommited while giving her formula.

There are a few things that could cause this.
Try sitting her more upright when you are feeding her.
Make sure you have a good latch and she is not taking in air during the feedings.
Make sure you burp her well after feedings, sometimes it takes awhile to get a good burp out.

There are also medical causes. Two of the more common ones I can think of are reflux which is not as common in a breasfed only baby as a formula fed baby, but it is definitely possible.

The second is more serious. It is Pyloric Stenosis.
My nephew was a preemie and in the NICU for a couple of months. After he got home he had this same projectile vomiting reaction, and after many trips to the Dr and ER and my sister pushing very hard they did some tests and diagnosed him with Pyloric Stenosis. Most cases of this can be corrected with surgery, which is what my nephew had to have. You can read more about it by looking at this website or google Pyloric Stenosis. http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/medical/digestive/pylori...

Definitely have her tested for Pyloric Stenosis as a babay can go downhill very fast with this condition.

Bless your heart, T.. A couple of things -- first, surf www.lalecheleague.org and www.kellymom.com, it could be nothing, it could be reflux, it could be overactive milk ejection reflex or foremilk-hindmilk imbalance. I'm glad you spoke to your pediatrician.

Have you gotten in touch with a lactation consultant? You might want to do that, or join any one of the local breastfeeding moms' yahoo groups and talk to local nursing moms.

Hello T.,
First off I have noticed your responses are suggesting to you that there is something wrong with your baby and that you need to seek more advice and such. Maybe if she continues to do this, then yes seek more advice. However, I would suggest giving it a little time because I think she will stop. My daughter did this too. She was also breastfed. She would get a belly ache and thought that eating would make it better, only to find out that there was no room for what she had consumed and it would project out of her before I could even sit her up. After about a week or so, she started to slack off and was done with the vomiting. I have to say also that I have never heard of a breastfed baby getting reflux. It might happen, but I have only ever known of bottle fed babies getting that. Also, if you trust your pediatrician and physician, then listen to them. If you really feel thought that they are missing something though then encourage more tests and such, but since you said she doesn't seem to be effected by the vomiting then give it a little time and see if it resolves itself.
Good luck.....

She might have roto virus or acid reflux. Both can be treated by meds. If it is roto virus it will be accompiened with very bad diarhea. It too will be projectile, very smelly, and green. She needs to be drinking plenty of pedialyte so that she doesn't get dehyrated. By any chance has she been acting like she was choking or having a hard time swallowing or catching her breath. If this is also going on then you need to get her check for Larengotrechiomalcia. What that means is that the Larengotrech isn't fully developed. She would need to be under a specialist doctor and not just a regular one. My advice is to follow you motherly instincts and to take her to the children's hospital for the specialist to run some test on her. They will take care of her and get her better. I went through all of this with my son. If you have any questions or would like to talk you can email me.

1 / 3