Yeast Infection on Her Neck

Okay I am back here at 1 AM! I am adopting a 9 week old baby. We got her at 4 weeks old and have had nothing but issue after issue.. Her mother was a diabetic ( gestational), that got little if no medical while she was pregnant. We have gotten thrush, craddle cap, and now I think she has a yeast infecton on her neck. I took her to the doctor again today and he gave me a cream to put on it. And that was all his instructions! So I am batheing her normally ( taking all the precautions on drying her skin) then applying the cream. Well she is not sleeping due to the fact that I am sure it hurts. my question is WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? I have done the same thing with all the other children and no matter how many times her clothes are changed, bib is changed, she still seems to come up with something! I give her a bath every evening and most of the time one during the day. The craddle cap is still there but slowly going away! Anyone else have skin irratations with their babies? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.. Please dont think because there are 5 kids here that she is sitting in soiled clothes, because believe me she is not..

Try Cetaphil soap and then apply Cetaphil lotion. These
products are a little pricey but they work. You can find
these products at HEB and Walgreens.

E. M

Oh! Poor baby!! I have to ask, are you adopting out of the foster care system? I ask because we are and with the different ages and a sibling group, that would fit the bill :)

Now, all of those things can come whether or not the bio mom had prenatal care. They just happen sometimes! Also, would follow what the doc says, give it a few days and go from there. She could be awake and crying from any number of things!

Sorry her little life has been so stressful so far!

She probably has a systemic yeast infection from her mother's uncontrolled diabetes. There may be some probiotic powder at the health food store you could mix in her formula. It will keep coming back in some form until it's out of her system.

Like this for example:
https://babyorganic.com/cart.php?target=product&produ...

I know you've received a lot of good advice, but here's my 2 cents form my experience with skin irritations.

My son and I both have extremely sensitive skin. One thing about sensitive skin is bathing too often can actually make it worse. So I would suggest to only bath once a day, or once every other day. In between wipe as needed with warm water and a soft cloth and mild soap.

Using oatmeal or baking soda in the bath water can help soothe skin irritations, although with the thrush I would ask the ped before using anything in the water.

Because Thrush is a fungal (yeast) infection you want to keep it dry and use the medication as needed. You may want to keep a bib to help keep her neck area dryer. I used to use cloth diapers to wipe and keep my son dry to prevent those nasty heat rashes.

Once the infection is gone you can use a mild baby lotion after bath. Keeping the skin moisturized helps keep irritation away.

Good luck, just be patient I'm sure it will pass!

these products at HEB and Walgreens.

E. M

My daughter also has some skin issues (although possibly more minor than your daughter's) including something similar to a yeast infection, and we've been told to use only Aveeno Baby skin and hair products, and to use soap very sparingly when we bathe her. When it was real bad, the doctor told us not to use any soap at all, and just rub some Aveeno Baby lotion on her in the bath. If we wash her hair and she wants to play in the tub afterward, we are to drain the tub and fill it with clean water.

Another friend whose baby had more isolated skin issues (just a few spots rather than sensitive all over) bought Aquaphor and that helped.

We either use Baby detergent or dye-free detergent in the laundry, but we always did because I also have sensitive skin.

With your baby being so young, I'd run anything new you plan to try by the pedi first.

I think you may be bathing her too much. If she does have sensitive skin, that is the last thing you want to do. Just change out her bibs, make sure some air gets into those little creases by laying her with her feet at your belly and easing her head back over your knees. She will like the new view of the world. That will let you get at those spaces clearly and get the medicine where it needs to go. If the cream the Dr. gave you doesn't work, try some A&D ointment.

Maybe bathe her without soap or try some Burt's Bees or other ALL NATURAL baby wash. You can find it in the natural foods section of the HEB. Also make sure you are washing her clothes in a "free" detergent.

I tried posting earlier and got an error message so hopefully it will work this time. :)

We've been there, done that with our daughter! Maddy got the yeast infections in the creases in her neck, arms, behind her knees, and in her private area. It was so frustrating!! Her pedi gave us a powder to use and just told us to try to keep those areas as dry as possible. As the baby gets older, and is able to move around more, those areas will start to dry out on their own. Maddy also had eczema so we had to 'play' with different lotions, body washes, powders, etc. We found that the Burt's Bees Milk Bath & Aveeno Creamy Body Wash for bathtime, Aveeno lotion (with the dark lid) for the after-bath lotion, and Aquafor for any chapped skin on her face did the trick. Her pedi suggested and prescribed lotions that just didn't work like our 'combo' did. It is all about trial & error and LOTS of patience. I'm so sorry you're having these problems! I think you're doing the right thing so keep it up.

Thrush is AWFUL and we fought with that several times too. If the baby isn't sleeping, that might be why. She's probably hungry but her mouth & throat are so irriated she can't eat well. That's the problem we had with our daughter.

I wish you the best of luck... I'm sure things will start to improve! :)

Just shower the baby once a day. Have you applied some babypowder instead of cream? What about her feeding? She might also be allergic to the bib material or what is around her neck...don't use anything on her neck when feeding...plus is the baby a chunky cutty...the rolls on their necks just need to stay dry. The cap on her head...wet a bar of dove soap since that is gentle and get the area soapy...rinse...dry...and when dry apply olive oil. That was our family remedy when some babies were born with craddle cap.
Good Luck...awesome you adopted.

1 / 3