Rash in Baby's Skin Creases

My 5 month old has a recurring irritation, possibly a rash in the crease of his neck. I'm very aware of his cute chunkiness when bathing him and always very gentle and thorough to get these creases clean, but the fold in his neck is always red. We have air conditioning, so I think I'm doing the best I can in reducing his sweating, but I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on how to help it. He also has very sensitive skin and ezcema, so I'm apprehensive to use many lotions on him.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! Before I run to the DR. or use something chemical, I'm going to try the more natural approaches first. My son is breastfed and I've concluded over the past few months that he has a dairy sensitivity (I've stopped consuming it), so the one comment made about that really sparked my attention. I'm hesitant to use any cream or anything to hold moisture in b/c the area is always sticky and wet - and it isn't from eating or drool - so I will probably use something to soak up the moisture. I think that may be all he needs b/c he also has the same thing behind his knees, leading me to believe it's just a problem with lack of airflow and perspiration build up. Thank you all again, I'm reassured with all the great insight!

i used to use NEO SPORIN on my kids, it is like vaseline with a bit of anitseptic, so it heals while protecting hte infected or open sore. Usually, it would clear up quickly.

My daughter was also very chunky and had the same problem. My pediatrician recommended using baby powder, just being careful to shake it onto my hand first away from her head so that she didn't inhale any of it. Worked really well.

Neck folds are notorious for yeast growth. I'd probably have it looked at. If it is yeast he'd just need a prescribed powder to help!

The best thing would be just to keep it dry. My guess is that at 5 months, he's also teething and drooling alot? Maybe just using a tiny bit of baby powder to help with moisture. I'm sure you're aware that he will simply grow out of it, but it can look painful. Poor babe.

NO LOTION!!! Lotion only keeps the rash WET... you don't want it wet, hence the rash. Powder, try Gold Bond Medicaided powder. Put some in your hand and then on his little neck. Powder soaks up the wetness, dries it out.
Good Luck :)

Hi K.. My little guy has the same problem and my doctor said it's a case of ezcema in the crease of his neck. It got really bad and looked like someone had put something around his neck and it rubbed it really bad to where it was bright red...doc said it was the ezcema. I got a prescription cream that I put on the area and it clears it right up. I just always try to keep that area clean, but know the heat can cause it to flare up sometimes. Good luck and you aren't alone!

That rash is caused from moisture usually do to drooling not sweating so the air-conditioning really wont help much although i have found a product by aveeno baby for chapped cheeks thats works wonders under the neck (my son gets that too no matter what i did) or even a little diaper rash cream clears i tup well...hope this helps

My daughter had the same issue as a baby. A lot of times it was caused by her formula that she would drool out of her mouth and settle in her neck creases. So I made sure to wipe her neck really well. And her drool from teething settled there as well. So I made sure that she had a bib on all of the time. It seemed to help absorb things and kept her neck drier. When is got really red and sore for her I would use Aquafore on her. It's like a really thick vaseline. It is made for babies It kept the moisture from irritating her neck. I would be really careful if you decide to use powder. Remember that they can inhale that into their lungs.
Best of luck.

I completely agree with Linda H: Aquaphor! It's a "wonder" fix for everything. My little Kaitlin got a rash on her neck from formula drool and sweat creases in her legs - and it fixed it in 8 hrs.! My husband used it when sand created some "chafing" in a VERY sensitive area :) If Kaitlin's little behind even hints of diaper rash, a little on the behind, and she's normal the next time I change her diaper! It's expensive, but a little goes a long way - and I would never be without it! Good luck to your little man.

My baby had that same problem when he was younger. He had it on his neck creases and his underarms. He was a chunky boy, too. I asked my pediatrician about it at one of his check-ups, and he said it was a yeast infection. It was very red, and looked like it could bleed in a couple of places. I would try and dry it very well after his baths, and I would put baby powder on it every day, sometimes several times a day. Nothing was working, so that is why I asked my ped. He said to use lotrimin (spelled wrong!) cream on it, so I did, and it cleared up after a week or less. So, it couldn't hurt to try it. I should also tell you that my son has sensitive skin and eczema, too, so the cream didn't cause him to have an eczema outbreak. I think I had to use the medication on him twice because it came back after a few weeks, but now that he is older (9 months), he is sitting up and moving more, so he is a little slimmer and his creases are opened up and dry all the time. So, your little guy should outgrow the problem when he gets older, too.

A. M

I recommend that you use Arbonne baby care products for your son. They are hypoallergenic, contain no nut oils or mineral oil, contain no artificial colors or fragrances, and are dermatologist tested. Many babies (and adults) have also been cured of their ezcema by using the baby products and the conditioning oil. If you are interested in learning more about the products or trying them, you can call me at ###-###-####. I use them for my own 2 children. Good luck!

1 / 3