Why Does My Daughter Hide and Poop?

My daughter just turned two and she is not even close to being potty trained. I don't push the issue at all, but when I go potty she likes to sit on her potty too. She never actually goes potty, but she seems to like being there. Sometimes she says poop or pee pee on potty but what she actually does is poop or pee pee in her diaper, then take it off and sit on the potty. She doesn't seem to understand that the poo and pee pee goes INTO the potty. Also very recently, she has started to hide behind furniture to poop. I thought this was a boy thing and I have no idea why she does this. Its like she feel ashamed or something. Any ideas? I am mostly wondering why kids hide and poop?!?

Its totally normal and it means she is starting to be aware of her body functions. this is the first step before being able to control their body function which is needed for potty training. This is a good indicator that she is not ready to be potty trained just yet. it has nothing to do with age and everything to do with their development path (which can be a few weeks, few months, or a year). talking about it iwith her is great and that will help you be aware of when she is ready to be trained. this will save both you and her a lot of frustation. good luck!

It's just a natural human response when children reach a certain age. Two is very young for potty training so just let her take the lead and she will be trained in a day or two when she is developmentally ready, not when grandparents, neighbors, friends, and other busy bodies decide.

My dd did that just before she fully trained.

IMO, I believe as these little humans ;-) start becoming more aware of their bodies (and it's functions), this awareness conflicts with their disinclination to relinquish control. They know it's icky...they don't want to do it in the potty...yet they still want privacy...so behind the couch/door it is.

We are personally late trainers. Yours may surprise you and train soon =).

they are just getting more self-conscious.
BOTH girls and boys do that.
I have a boy and girl and they both did that at a certain age.

It's a baby thing. Something comes out of the body and they are fascinated or afraid, depending on the sensation.
None of us knows English or whatever language is being taught; but we do have a sense of love and anger. Hence, please consider being playful with the potty training. It's training, not innate.
My 3 boys were all different, so I just tried to "stay ahead of the game".
Rewards or a goal, yes, having her sit on her potty while you go on yours is learning by example...In the end it all works out.
God bless you when she turns 15 and wants to drive your car...

One of my girls did this when she was constipated. My little one will sometimes do this and does not want you to even look at her. It is also usually if she is a little constipated. If your little girl isn't, then she may as suggested just want privacy when doing it.

my daughter did the same thing when she was two, she used to hideto poop. this was when she was potty training. right when she was aboutto poop in her diaper she would run to the potty, take her diaper off and go. I thought it was odd but its pretty normal. she would also sit on her potty when I went to the bathroom. she's getting herself comfortable with the potty. kids learn by cwatching us. so she's probably just revving herself up to do it. it took my daughter about 8 months or more to be fully trained. so keep patient! it all happens naturally.

Nothing to worry about - it is just a privacy thing. My son did this and, now grown up, will not even talk to you (even through a closed door) while he is busy.
I had a friend, whose daughter would go to the corner of the garden and hide behind a particular tree!!

It is very normal/typical for toddlers/small children to hide and poop. I think almost every young kid does that. I don't think they feel ashamed. Maybe they hide because they don't want us to smell their poopy diaper b/c it means we will change their diaper? Who knows what goes on in their adorable little minds! I just want you to know that it is very typical for your daughter to do this!

1 / 3