Whether to Medicate My 7 Year Old Son

I have a two sons a 7 year old and a 3 year old. My 7 year old has been diagnosed with ADHD (off the chart). I am being told he can only be treated by medication. My concern is that he is does great in anything that he does. He is in 1st grade and on the principal's list all but one of the six weeks sections. However, he does feed of any energy in a room. He usually gravitates to the youngest child and ask like them or worse. I guess my question is if he is doing so well in school and behavior is the factor should I medicate or not.

Well let me express my gratitude for those of you whom took the time to respond. Alittle more about all this I guess what I was trying to ask, which some of you answered very well is, what other alternatives do I have. I am got a lot of pressure from the school to get him tested. I did get him tested with the a psychologist whom diagnosised him with sever ADHD and said there was no other option, but to medicate him. I felt very uncomfortable with this, because one they did not want to test him academically, to see if he was just bored. He gave him one computer test which my over achieving son tested 5 times higher than the score needed for ADHD. I am also confused about the fact that he can go a weeks with out any problems. Some of you asked about home. Well I seem to be the only one that can really keep him in check. He doesn't test me nearly as much as anyone else. Which is why I don't feel comfortable leaving him with baby sitters. He is very confident. He has not fallen under any perpressure from older kids. I think he only needs time to grow a little. He does talk and make noise alot.

However, he has been talking or making words seens he was 5 month old. He has been very articulate. I may be in denial, but I would rather exhaust all other alternatives, before meds. So I would love to hear about what you know about diet, supplements any other alternative form of treating him. I will check out Feingold website. I already told my husband we are going to change our diet.

It is also a little difficult because we are moving in a June cross county to Arizona. This I am hoping will be a fresh start for him. I also need to know what you all think about telling the school. I rather not place a label on him. As some of you said teachers are human and will talk. I would rather the teacher have an open mind about him.

Again thanks for all your responses. At this point we are thinking about changing his diet, adding supplements and re-enforcing good behavior and punishing the negative behavior.

Best wishes to all and thanks for all your advice. I need all the advice I can get with this.

Sincerly, L. N.

My husband was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age and placed on medication. He said he remembers being incredibly gifted at so many things before that, but that his medicine took that away from him.
I have not had to go through what you have (my son is only 4 months old), so i can't give you any "real" advice as a parent. All I know is that medication had a lot more negative consequences than positive for my husband. Today he is a very smart and successful man, but was never good in a school setting and didn't go to college. i think today's schools maybe aren't creative or patient enough to find the right learning environment for each child.

I think it depends on whether or not the ADHD is interfering with his education. I have 4 children who are ADHD and my oldest daughter was doing very poorly in 5th grade and when she was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type and was put on medication, she moved up to AG classes in 6th grade and is now on the a-honor roll. All my boys educational needs have greatly improved tremendously after being put on the medication. I truly believe that if it was not making it difficult for them to concentrate in school and stay on task, we probably would of been against the medications and wanted to try something else, but knowing what I know now, it was the best decision for the kids.

I can only write from teaching experience. I think so many kids are OVER medicated. Yes, it is a little more challenging and some teachers are like bring on the pill b/c the kids are better for them. But, if you do it at all start VERY low doesages. There are a lot of other things, like diet that can help. Even having a special classroom plan for him where maybe he leaves the room every 30 minutes to do 20 jumping jacks in the bathroom, then back to focus in the room would be better in my eyes than medication. Good luck to you! Whatever you decide you're doing it with love. :)

It looks like you got lots of great ideas from everybody else. I wanted to also recommend EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique). It is a tapping technique that taps on acupressure points.

There is a free manual at www.emofree.com and you can get a free cheatsheet at www.tapping.com . This website also has a free manual - http://www.schoolmademucheasier.com/ . Here are some more basic instructions - http://www.thrivingnow.com/for/Health/basic-eft/ and a diagram - http://www.thrivingnow.com/for/Health/eft-tapping-points/ . It is very easy to learn and use on your children.

Here are some links that talk more about using it for ADHD:

http://www.emofree.com/add-adhd.htm

http://www.emofree.com/Children/adhd.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3C0v5jQit0

http://eft-revealed.com/blog/category/addadhd/

Good luck. It sounds like you have a very smart and active little boy and I hope you are able to avoid the medication.

Why do you want advice on to "drug" or not "drug" your son?...because he has energy...because he acts like a 7 year old boy and bothers his classmates at times? That is called normal! I still don't understand why they labeled him ADHD? You did'nt give enough details. Most times it seems people would rather slap a label on kids...drug them up than offer any other healthy way to confront the issue...but by your note...there is NO issue. He is learning and does well in school??? I have 3 sons and a daughter...all of them at that age had high energy...but I did'nt go drug them up!!! You need to be very careful and weary to the opinion of the medical profession or educational profession that gives you such advice....without a second and third opinion. YOU are your child's advocate! YOU know him better than anyone else!!! Why let others talk you into drugging your child???? Please consider listening to your heart...this is your child and his life, self-esteem and selfworth at risk here! Stand up for your kid!

Get a second and third opinion from very qualified child psycologist before doing anything. ADHD is just the starting point. He may need much more testing. Don't waste time. Intervention now could mean a whole lot to his future success. My sister was diagnosed ADHD and was medicated. They stopped there and didn't realize she had severe learning disabilities until high school. It was the learning disabilities all along and she never really had ADHD. My boss and his son were diagnosed ADHD but it turned out to be dislexia. I'm begining to think ADHD is a symptom of a larger problem rather than a disorder in itself.

Check into food allergy testing before medicating. I took a seminar once on ADHD and the doctor teaching it said that if your pediatrician does not recommend allergy testing when diagnosing ADHD it is time for a new pediatrician. She had a son w/ ADHD found out he was allergic to wheat and he was much better when taken off of wheat.

This is always a difficult decision. I always take the conservative route, before going into something I may not be ready for. Hence, I would try the following: 1) .an impact on behavior. It is amazing as to what foods can create behavior issues and sugar isn't the only one. There also additives that can effect us in foods that we are unaware of. Remember we are all different bodily chemistry. Peanut butter effected my nephew and he had to be taken off of that. Mom used almond butter in place of it. 2) I would go to www.morter.com and see if you can find a chiropractor that practices with the BEST method. It has been known to help with ADD so this might be helpful to him as well. I have been healthier taking supplements and going to the chiropractor. I tend to go to alternative methods as the traditional ways aren't always as healthy. I am sure the meds will have a side effect and that would be my major concern.
Best of luck with your decision.

This is such a difficult issue because there are so many variables, and nobody really knows the situation as well as you do.

You might want to look at these things to also investigate: http://itsnotmental.blogspot.com/2009/04/is-it-adhd-atten...

My own daughter's attentional problems got diagnosed as ADHD and medicated and it turned out that she didn't have ADHD. She did have sensory issues, vision problems and some other problems. The medication in her case seemed to improve things at first, but then really backfired.

Yet, I know other children who truly have a problem directly in their frontal cortex and the stimulant medication really helps them, along with behavior modifications which the parents and schools implemented.

Have you gotten a second opinion? We thought that our child may have ADHD but the school made a chart about how often they had to re-direct him and he did well with a reward plan in place. They proved that he didn't have ADHD. From my understanding with kids with ADHD they can be very smart but generally do NOT do well in school due to inability to focus. The fact that your child is doing well in school tells me that maybe a behavior chart/reward system may work just as well if not better than medication. At least it may be worth a try. I hope it all works out for you!

1 / 3