When to Stop Using Dreft

Hi - I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to when I can stop using Dreft. My baby is now 6 months old. Also, is it OK to wash her and my clothes together? Are there any adult detergents that are safe for babies if I do wash our clothes together?

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I tested a few of her clothes with mine using regular detergent and everything was fine - you couldn't even tell a difference! Since then I have washed a couple of rounds of her clothing mixed in with mine. Looks like my life will be a bit easier now! Thanks, M.

My son is 11months and we still use dreft for his clothes. My grandma washes his clothes in Tide far as the best one try them out and see. Far as washing together I don't see any problems with it.

I use Tide w/ Bleach Origional Scent, and always have with both my children. Neither of them ever had an allergic reaction to it. I've never used Dreft or any other baby detergent so I couldn't tell you what switching could do. Perhaps asking a pediatrician or going to babycenter.com and asking about detergents there. Some mother may have already asked that same question and an "expert" there may have an answer waiting for you!

When my boys were babies I never used any detergent just for babies. I found that using Cheer Free (has no perfumes, or dyes in it) worked wonderfully. My kids never broke out in any rashes when I used that detergent and I was able to wash my whole families clothes all at once.
I hope this advice helps.

I never used dreft. My daughters clothes were washed in tide with ours from day 1. however, we dont have sensitive skin problems and my daughter never had any type of reaction from tide.

I've used All Free since birth. I've been told that a dryer sheet is worse than the detergent so I would just stay away from those for your baby's clothes.

I have used ALL Free since the very beginning with both of my kids. My doc said it isn't necessary to use dreft-I think it's just a hype to get people to buy a detergent ONLY for babies. ALL Free is safe with no dyes or perfumes. I have to use it because of my husbands allergies anyway. Good luck!

I wash my sons clothes in regular detergent and with my clothes as well and haven't had a problem...just try it and see if your baby shows any sign of a reaction. More than likely you'll have no problems!!

You can use ALL free and clear and you can wash your clothes together, that would be a money and time saver.

I think I used dreft with my first child to wash all her clothes before she was born.... after that, her clothes were washed with mine in whatever detergent I had at the time. Each of my next 3 children were the same, minus the dreft before birth.

I used Dreft for at least the first year with all three of my children. I have extremely sensative skin (I'm even very allergic to aloe) and was concerned about my children having similar problems. Because of this and the long standing reputation of Dreft, I chose it rather than another dye/perfume free detergent. My sister has no such allergies or sensativities and used a regular detergent (Tide or something) from day 1 with her son with no negative effects. After that first 1+ year of using Dreft I slowly switched (mixing Dreft with the Arm & Hammer I use for the rest of the laundry, using less Dreft and more A&H each load until I no longer used Dreft)and never had any problems. So far none of my children show any signs of sensative skin or allergies like I have (they are now ages 3,6, and 12).

I agree with the other moms who say it's really a personal choice and/or dependent on your specific situation. When deciding what to do, consider family history or skin sensativities and allergies, if there really isn't a family issue, it's much less likely that your child is going to be adversely effected by your choice of laundry detergent. In the end, my pediatrician always said to use my best judgement, there are just some things that are best left up to Mom rather than a doctor.

1 / 3