When Do Kids Learn the Abc's?

I know that all children are different, and that you can't compare one with the other. However, I've been getting comments about my daughter and I want to know if people are right or not.

My daughter just turned 18 months old. She got a few alphabet toys last Christmas, and plays with them a lot. About a month ago, she started saying some letters and/or their sounds. She can now say the name or sound of 90% of the alphabet. One of her toys has a feature where you push a button and it asks you to find a letter, number, or shape. She always gets the letters and shapes right. I thought maybe she had just memorized where each letter is on that particular toy, but she can point out letters anywhere (license plates, menus, etc).

My mom said that most kids learn how to talk before they learn their letters (my daughter says about 50 words right now) because knowing letters and their sounds are the beginning steps of reading. Is my daughter's behavior abnormal, in a good way?

It varies. My son was really into colors and shapes, knew them all at 15 mo, sang his ABCs & counted to 20 shortly after, but only now is starting to recognize letters, numbers, and words. But he can jump, run, walk up & down stairs, throw a ball, walk on the balance beam, etc. really well, is potty trained, and does chores around the house, at 3!

Kids are truly amazing. The best thing is, now you know she has an affinity for letters! What about picking up a LeapPad for her to play with? As far as words, they will come, but a vocab of 50 is awesome for that age.

Just keep loving her for who she is, and she'll continue to blossom. You're doing a great job!

That's very young, in my limited experience. My 4 year old boy is just beginning to get good at recognizing letters and knowing the sound of each letter. Sounds like she really has an aptitude for learning. That's great!

I wouldn't say abnormal is the word for your daughter...I'd say advanced! Nothing to worry about, I hope you aren't worried! She is advanced, I don't think most 18 month olds know their letters like that (though I have a friend with a son that was also very verbally advanced). She is advanced for her age and that's fantastic. Just keep encouraging her language abilities, don't worry about them and smile when other people comment on how remarkable it is. Each child has their own time and their own talents. Enjoy!

STayin Home and Lovin It!
http://proud2be.stayinhomeandlovinit.com
mom to Noah, age 2

GREAT job of exposing her to the world of learning!! I have two year(26 months)old b/g twins and they both learned the alphabet and sounds at 20 months old. They are fast learners since they learned the whole alphabet in a week. Now we are working on putting their letter/sounds to make words. They know all the simple three letter words in the -at family. We use alphabet letters while taking a bath. They always tell me, "Make words Mommy!" We also read the Bob books. They are simple books that work on word families. I read to my two everyday for about an hour...half an hour before naps and half and hour before bed.They run to go get books for me to read to them. My two have always love to learn...knew all their colors by 15 months, saying 0-20 numbers by 18 months, and now recognizing all their shapes and numbers 0-10. All I can say is to keep it going and have fun!!

thats great she's taken such an interest in learning. all i can say is keep it going. my oldest son was the same way when he was little. we'd be in a store and he would start pointing out the letters on signs, etc. people were always amazed that he was just one year old. i could tell with him at an early age he was smart. he did everthing earlier than most others. he learned how to read on his own before he was in kindergarten. i read to him everynight before bed. he loved that. i know they have so many things to use now-a-days. but i used the dr. suess books. they have so much repetition in them. thats how he learned to read himself was with those books. after in elementary i think in 3rd grade they wanted him tested for gifted. he passed. he's 12 years old now. but my 3 year old is in speech therapy, just now trying to learn letters. but if he cant speek them it hard for him to say them and learn. my 18 month old is trying to speek more than when my 3 yr old was that age, but i think he's behind because he's around his brother that doesnt talk. they all learn at different levels...keep it going

I think your daughter's progress sounds about right with an edge towards being somewhat advanced. My daughter was pretty close if not the same as your daughter in terms of timing and knowledge of ABC's. Your daughter sounds as if she can identify letters a bit better than my daughter did at her age. Perhaps it's time to start looking into a preschool that accepts two year olds or younger. How does she compare to other kids in daycare, playgroup or other activities she participates in? If she is far more advanced perhaps you should go to the next step. As you said every child is different. I've seen kids who have amazing hand/eye coordination and are great at sports but can't talk. :-) Good Luck.

Hi
Sounds like you got yourself a smart one! I had a similar experience with my first daughter too. Usually when they start out that way it continues .My first born child Christina was flipping through books very early and speaking early and read books at four--the letters/sounds/numbers recognition is intriging to your child and has sparked an interest that she enjoys right now-encourage her.I know that the first borns and girls usually show the most progression such as this... But of course that is a basic rule not a written rule anywhere for sure...Sometimes the last born child turns out the brightest-hey after all that's what I am.lol ha ha-Girls are traditionally very fast verballly as well--------there are always exceptions though----------

THE 18 MONTH OLDS IN MY CARE ARE STARTING TO SING THE LETTERS WITH THE SONG(INSTEAD OF HUMMING). tHEY ARE ALL ON DIFFERENT LEVELS, BUT CAN NAME A FEW LETTERS (BY MEMORY OF COURSE.)
DEF LOOK ONTO LEAPPAD PRODUCTS, THEY ARE AWESOME.

1 / 3