What Is a Good Age to Start Potty Training a Girl?

Mine is 17 mos and she knows what the potty is, but I dont think she knows what it is for. She says potty and points to it, but doesnt want to sit on it. Is she too young?

Hi!
I started potty train my daughter when she was 18 mo. and I'm so glad I did because now she 2 yr. 6 mo. and at this time she says no to everything so I'm glad I started before this attitude started!

I didn't read the other responses so I hope this is not a repeat.
In my personal opinion I think 18-24 months is a great age to potty train. Although some would strongly disagree. They must posess certain readiness skills first though. For instance being able to pull up and down their own pants. If you are interested in potty training "early" I would suggets looking on Amazon.com for the book "toilet training in less than a day" by Simon & Scheuster. We toilet trained my son using this book in 1 week end at 25 months. At the end of the weekend he was completely trained meaning- self initiating potty both #1 and #2 with no accidents and no reminders. (Not just only going when we make him sit down.) He is also completely dry over night and wears big boy underwear to bed. This method is based on praise, fun and repitition/muscle memory and always works. Good luck!

A big toilet is a scary thing to babies. Their minds are still in the Piaget stage where size difference doesn't compute - - so they think they could fall in and disappear down the hole with the water. Some babies even fear going down bath-tub drains. (Look up Piaget's stages of development. His theories of brain development can help you parent all the way through teenage years.) My advice: Buy a tiny training potty that sits on the floor. Place next to where you change diapers. Any morning you wake her up and she has a DRY diaper, sit her on her tiny potty to go pee-pee. A dry diaper at night is the BIG SIGN. I also noticed when my children were starting to stay dry at night - - is when night terrors starting waking them up. My first-born son's first night terror - - he screamed hysterically about "a big bee in the room," but his eyes were closed. I discovered that if I sleep-walked him to the potty and gently said, "Go pee-pee, honey," that he'd pee like a race horse and then, back in bed, he'd sweetly drift off to a peaceful sleep. I started to make sure to sit him on his little potty at night right before putting on his night diaper and pajamas. ((This was 25 years ago, so PULL-UPS did not exist. Those would have been nice to use.))

If she doesn't want to sit on it, then yes.

This isn't really a "what age" question; it's more a matter of spotting the readiness when it DOES come - which varies GREATLY from kid to kid. My oldest was painlessly 100% potty trained by the time she *turned* two; my middle one finally stopped trying to hide in the corner to poop in her pullups when she was 3-1/2! :p

Try to make the potty seem like this awesome magical thing that big girls get to use, but whatever you do, do not pressure her to start sitting on it - it needs to be SO great, not this thing that Mom keeps bugging her about! Trust me, now that it's in your head, it might seem like forever until she's interested... but you will make your life a whole lot easier if she's not fed up with the whole subject by the time you start for real.

And don't forget the potty parties - wooohooo over every tiny speck of pee, call Daddy to let her tell him on the phone (clue him in that he needs to be all "WOW!! That is SOOO great!!!" about it), do a little dance or make up a song to do together - this needs to be BIG. They get so proud & happy! This can be (strangely enough) really fun family time.

Oh, and I'll just come right out & say it: stock up on bribery tools - marshmallows (minis) worked for me; one for trying, two for peepee and THREE for poopoo. Seriously, not the time to stand on your principles. :D

I believe arround age 2 is a good time to start. However, introducing her to the potty and reading potty books to her at this age are good ideas.

Hi!

It is easier if you wait until she is ready. The best way to know is she will hide or squat when pooping.

Wow -- everyone trained their kids really young! I waited until a few weeks before my daughter turned 3. She was 100% completely trained in 4 days. Not a single Pull-Up was worn -- straight to underwear. No accidents since. It was SO easy! There's a huge benefit to waiting until they are slightly more mature and are self-motivated.

When she says, "mommy, no diaper today, I want to go on the potty"

when she is ready it is time. not likely now if she doesn't want to sit on it. i'd get her a small potty and leave it available to her. if she wants to sit let her. about the 2 year mark, you can try to actively train her, but before then i doubt it will work. what happens is they train you to run them to the potty at that early age. why not wait till they are old enough to run themselves, even if it is 3 or 4 years old? and that "potty training in one day" book is only good for a huge laugh. it totally doesn't work as a complete method only as a starting point, which the authors will never admit. sure my boys trained at the 4 year mark, but they did it on their own and without a huge fight. much easier on me!

1 / 3