Wanting to Get Pregnant but Having a Hard Time Doing So.

I'm not a mother but, I do have question. I have a condition called PCOS (Polly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) I was diagnosed with about 5 years ago. My husband and I are wanting to get pregnant, but due to the condition it's very hard for me to do so. I have talked a little bit about it with my Dr and she says that I can still get pregnant with help from them. Has any one else gone through this?? If so, what was the least expensive rout you went with out having to take alot of hormone <-- sp) pills or shots?? Are there any dagerous side affects from the medications that I should be worried about? I'm looking for some different options to talk to my Dr about. If any one who has gone this rout could give me some helpful info that would be great. Thank you in advance for your help and tips.

I also was diagnosed with this about 3 years ago. I had been having very irregular periods since going off the pill. My doctor recommended a couple of things. First was diet and exercise to lose a few pounds. She also prescribed Metformin, which is commonly used to treat diabetes. PCOS and diabetes can be related. It did work to regulate my cycle and a few months later we ended up pregnant. I stopped taking the Metformin after the first trimester and haven't restarted since the birth of my first child. As far as side effects I remember that she started me off on a lower dose and had me work up to full dose to minimize any side effects. But I don't remember having any adverse reactions to it.

You can definitely get pregnant with PCOS!

Stop stressing out about it and just enjoy having sex and all that. The moment people start stressing out about getting pregnant is the moment it becomes a thousand times harder.

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3-4 years ago. I took metformin 2000mg daily, worked out religiously for one year, lost a total of 14 lbs. and got pregnant after that one year of treatment. It was kind of a shock because I told my doc that I was surprised that I got pregnant so easily, and she said with a sly grin, "well, were you taking the Metformin?" Of course I was. This drug works so well, it is not harmful, but it does have some nasty side effects that largely go away after a few weeks on the high dose. It is relatively cheap too. Also check out the soul cysters website this is a great forum site for PCOS. PCOS is a big problem with not a lot of media coverage in my opinion.

Also, I truly believe that accupuncture during this time also played an important role in helping me with my cycles and energy level. It is truly remarkable! I was once a skeptic.

Hi R.- I was incorrectly diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago and found an awesome support site. I can't remember the address but you can google it and find something. I would highly recommend that. The girls there can recommend what to do for PCOS and I learned a lot about other ways to tell when you are most fertile.
Also you can get pregnant with PCOS, so keep positive, but you may have to try a little harder. I would recommend getting a good fertility book to learn about taking your temperature and checking other signs of fertility- also an ovulation prediction kit in conjunction for a few months, if it still doesn't work you can try the dr again. They typically start you on clomid first which is an oral drug. Has some emothinal side effects for some people but I didn't experience any. Make sure that at this point you have a good fertility dr, don't just go to yout OB/GYN it is usually a waste of time which is precious when you are trying to get pregnant.
I have a healthy 11 month old boy who is the joy of my life but he was achieved by IVF( and Gods Grace!:) Also I had 5 IUI,s 2 with injectable drugs and 3 with clomid so I have some experience with infertility. I understand your pain and frustration, the ups and downs but I am sure you will get your precious bundle!

Hi R.!
You are not alone! I have the same condition & it took taking Chlomid (pill) to get pregnant. I've heard it can result in twins, but we had been trying for 4 yrs, so that didn't conern me. We now have 4 children! The first two pregnancies were with chlomid & I didn't have twins. The last 2 kids were surprises (no fertility meds).....my dr said sometimes with all the hormone changes of being pregnant that this syndrome can correct itself. With chlomid, they start you out on the smallest dose, & if it doesn't work, they increase the dosage each month. It worked on the first try with our oldest son. It took increasing the dose once with our second son. I know that i was the most stressed when we were not getting pregnant....but if you can reduce your stress levels at all, it really does help! Good luck! :>)

I also have PCOS and what helped me was a medication called Metformin. I had 2 doctors tell me I was never going to have children. I now have an 8 month old daughter and just found out I'm due in April! My daughter was conceived naturally... but I was taking Metformin after her birth, which I believe assisted in my current pregnancy.

Don't give up hope. If you eat healthy and try Metformin, it just may work for you! Consult your doctor about it!

Hello
Rolfing or structural integration has helped many who cant or have not yet gotten pregnant. It alligns the body so that all ails go away with balance in the structure. The work is of Ida Rolf and can be found at www.rolfguid.org or the 2nd school that teachers her work, www.rolf.org

Taking Charge Of Your Fertility is a great book to learn how to know where you are on your cycle without the need of anything you need to buy or use and also gets you in tune with your body at the same time.

Also i would suggest acupuncture and Chinese herbs first before any other of the high drug programs. I would think it would be best not to poison yourself before having a baby inside you.
blessings and visualize it happening... That works too and try not to give into the fear and think about it negatively.

I have not been through this, but have friends who have taken the hormone drugs and there are side effects, such as cancer risks, that you should definitely be informed about. I recommend the book "Taking Charge of your Fertility" as a great resource to educate yourself. If you have a doctor you like, and feel is a good partner in this venture with you and your husband, then that is great. Otherwise I would look for another provider, preferably one who specializes in your condition. Best of luck to you!!

Well I want you to know that having PCOS is more common in women and can sometimes be the hardest to get diagnosed or to struggle with to get pregnant. Working with just a doctor in the office can take a while since well you can only ovulate each month and well with PCOS you sometimes dont each month have a regular cycle. Going to a specalist who is avalible to help you and that is also going to work with you 365 days a year (holidays too) is what you will probably want so that you can get your little one sooner than later. Each person that has this can be treated just a bit differently than others.

A couple of people that have already responded to you were on either clomed or metphorman to help. When I was working with our dr I took both and even some months a baby asprin too. They can run blood tests that are for you specific and help you. No one person having this condition will be treated the same.

Yes after the hormon changes can make it easier to get pregant again. We tried and used assistance for our 2nd and nothing for a while and well it just happened naturally for our second so now we have 2 beautiful kids.

Not being stressed always does help your body and you physically. Loosing sometimes even a couple pounds can help too and make you healthy. The slightest things can help you get pregnant.

If you want to talk to a specailist that is wonderful and one of the best in the state. He is just so sweet. His name is Dr. Johnson. He has an office in Totem Lake and Bellevue 425-646`4700. Good Luck to you!

1 / 3