Wanted: Finger Food Suggestions for 7 Month Old

I haven't really given my 7 month old many finger foods yet. He's gummed some banana & a pancake one day, but that's about it. What are some good, wholesome, non-processed snack or meal foods I can give him? Should these be for snacks only or should I incorporate them into the meal (which is jarred baby food)? And how do I get him used to them? Thanks for any advice!

I have an 8-month old without teeth so I was wondering the same as you. I did find today while at Meijer organic teething biscuits. I have been looking everywhere for teething biscuits since thats how I got my older son chewing his food. I am also happy that they are organic. They are in the baby food isle right by the gerber graduates.

I have a 7 month old grand son that I'm in the process of adopting I give him graduate finger foods by gerber and we feed him soft foods from the table but the snacks are a finger food that they can feed them selves with and they melt in their mouths my grand son only has his two front bottom teeth and these really work well.I do feed him the second stage foods as long as they aren't really chunky

Try string cheese, whole wheat bread or english muffins, organic mac and chesse (my daughter likes Annie's or Anne's (?) brand at Kroger, avocados and green beans.

I was able to give my two boys (6 & 4) pretty much everything my husband and I ate. I made sure to cut pieces of meat or anything that was larger than a match into slivers not square or circle pieces this way it prevents them from getting it stuck. I was able to use cheese sticky, veggie hot dogs, cooked carrots, cooked squash, cooked asparagus, and small noodles. Also at Toys R Us they have a mesh product that you can put frozen, cooked veggies or fruit, even meat in so that your child can gum it and get use to flavors. My boys loved it while they were teething, I also froze breast milk into ice trays and used them in it as well. (can freeze juice as well) Hope I could help you out with a few ideas. Keep up the good work!

cheerios. the first finger food for babies.

gerber makes something called puffs... - alot like a cheerio.. but more expensive.. (they are a bit softer)

gerber makes "biter biscuits" hard cookies good for teething.

and zwieback toast.. (my kids love the biter biscuits and hate the toast..)

Kraft makes cheese crumbles.. - right next to the shredded cheese packs.. small pieces of cheese easy to pick up..

Peas are good- then canned green beans (cut them first) canned carrots...

canned peaches and pears...(peaches are slippery.. try pears first..

gerber makes little jars of diced fruit and veggies..

in the beginning they rarely get the food in their mouth.. so I give the finger food after the baby has eaten their jarred food...or I put some on the tray while I am cooking dinner and the baby is entertained while I am busy.

Babies naturally want to put things in their mouth so if you put in on the tray they will try it..

Any of the things you are currently feeding him baby food wise would work. Soft cooked carrot pieces, baked sweet potato cooled and cut into chunks, over ripe pear peeled and chopped, cheerios turn to mush easily and there are organic varieties available (might be a bit early for those, depends on his "gummabilities"), chopped cooked apple (bake, microwave or boil), graham crackers (mushy with a little spit added), no salt added canned green beans chopped into small pieces, peas, soft pasta like spaghetti chopped up small. YES! start incorporating into regular meals. Let him practice with finger foods after or before you help feed him and while you and your hubby are at the table eating your meal. Having him there in his chair will make for "family meal time" that is so important. My 1st son would have ate baby food till he was 6 had I let him. He's still a picky eater and it's part my fault for not doing the above things I'm giving advice on. I catered separate meals for him thinking he couldn't eat what we were eating (wrong!!) What I have learned from having 3 kids: Your first child is an experiment and you will inevitably wreck them in some way. *smile* 2nd & 3rd kids are not picky with the 3rd being least picky of all 3. I think it's because I gave them lots of "adult" foods. L.

I also have a 7 month. We use one of those mesh baggies that you can put food into and then our 7 month old chews and sucks the food out. She love mandarin oranges. I have put grapes, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries(messy) and I even put a pancake in there one time. It's very nice to give it to her and not worry about her choking on the food.

Hi K.-
I have a 4 year old and a 10 month old- my little one likes: cheerios, cinnamon nutragrain waffles cut up with butter, scrambled eggs, grilled cheese (tiny pieces), occasionally Chef Boyardee ravioli or spagetti-o's (she likes the sauce), they make mini ravioli finger foods by gerber in the baby isle but my baby doesn't like them, peas, cooked carrots/potatoes/squash, any type of macaroni and cheese, tofu is great, grapes-with the skin peeled off and cut up, Campbells soups- the noodles, veggies, meat, etc. in the soup (it is really soft with lots of flavor), graham crackers, buttered toast (the crust is good while she still gums it but once they get teeth and can rip it apart they can get too big pieces and choke so you are better off cutting it into small pieces), cantalope-
I think your staple is your bottle so add foods at meal time. He will start to prefer more food and less bottle so let him tell you. The baby food is always a good back up if you are worried about nutrition.
Hope this helps!
-patti

Cheerios are a great start because they have a hole in the middle so it is unlikely a baby will choke on them. Also, they don't really need to be chewed - they just dissolve in the mouth. Also the fruit puffs that Gerber sells are great because they also dissolve. Start off with just snacks and then gradually incorporate more finger foods into meals.

1 / 3