Want to Leave Comcast Triple Play (Or Should I Say Triple Pay)

Hi fellow moms. We want to dump Comcast Triple Play. Our monthly bill is like $180 for cable, internet and phone. We don't watch even 10 channels between us. So we're looking for cheaper alternatives.

Here's what we're thinking: Stay with Comcast for internet, get Vonage for phone and maybe Netflix for TV and movies.

Is this a good idea? Would it significantly lower our total bill or would it be the same? Would be nice to free up $50 each month!

Hi! Thanks to everyone for your advice! We opted for Netflix while retaining Comcast phone and internet. Here's what we get:

Netflix streaming + DVD rental = about $17 / mo.
Comcast phone & internet bundle = $110.

That's still $50 to $60 saved each month! You save more if you opt for just streaming or just DVD. By the way, for small kids, Netflix is great! Lots of choices!

We pay about $180 for a triple plan and I know we pay at least $40 extra a month for the 2 HD receivers, DVR, DVR service, etc. We expect those charges because we use those services.

Why don't you just all Comcast and ask where you can cut costs?

Netflix is GREAT, I never had a problem with it when I had it.

We have the Verizon Fios bundle (cable, internet, phone) and it's about $120 a month, no hidden fees, no strings attached. I love Fios!

BTW, I've had AWFUL experiences with Comcast, they're just terrible.

A year ao We cut land line and cable, We kept internet, after 6 month low rate with Comcast it went up to $65 per month, we also have Netflix (now $16) and hulu, and use our cell phones.. maybe thinking to ditch Hulu.. thru Netlix we have watched a lot better quality tv, (movies, documentaries etc) than through cable,
Netflix has lots of cartoons from pbs and first seasons of Dora, Diego, Backyardigans, I like I can control access to commercials and advertising. Best decision we ever made

Ok, we are moving to Clear for internet, using Netflix and Hulu Plus on our playstation 3 and stick to our cell phones - no land lines.
35 for Clear internet
7.99 netflix basic
8.99 for Hulu Plus

i have Clear for Internet ($42.44 per month, though I am thinking of switching to Centurylink), Vonage which I love is $36.49 including taxes per month and Netflix costs me $8.75 per month--but I only get 1 disc at a time. You can go for a little higher and still save.

We don't pay for TV at all. We bought a $40 rooftop antenna which my husband and a friend put up and we get about 30 channels. I found that when we did have TV I wasted more time watching it. How did that improve my life??! So now I have the network shows I want, and it's free.

Our internet service is DSL with our phone line, but we have a business package since our house is actually a church parsonage and included with the church bill, so I can't give you advice for that.

Ooma.com get the hub, for phone. I love it because it has so many more options than regular phone service. I have my home phone forward to my cell phone when I leave the house (which is when I turn on my cell phone) & I don't have to give anyone my cell number any more. I have a prepaid cell phone through T-mobile that is good for a year & the minutes roll over every year. I buy the 1000 minutes for a year off of Calling Mart.com, they have sales all the time. Less than $9 monthly for cell & I only have to pay the bill once a year.
This is an acticle on how to cut the cable tv.
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/113459/cable...
Here is an article on how to get fast internet.
http://www.ehow.com/how_###-###-####_fast-internet-cheap....
One more article how to ditch Netflix
http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/691/...

No suggestions unfortunately (i don't have a landline) but I do have these three words for you: I HAAAATE COMCAST!

Worst corporation ever....

We bought an antenna- RCA indoor 1500 I think- for 30 bucks off Amazon and can get 36 stations....yes 36 but not all are in English. We get all the basic channels we need though but it is very flat in IL so antenna works well. We are looking into changing phone/Internet to Dsl through AT&T...pretty much cheapest I found, but we only do a phone access line- for emergencies and also so telemarketers can bother us - apparently- despite being on the Do Not Call Registry. Should free up 65 a month for us as we were with WOW cable, which is cheaper than comcast already! If you have an xbox or PS3 w internet subscription, you can stream Hulu free for tv- you just have to wait a couple of days for shows to pop up, netflix if you are a member or even full episodes from manu network websites- like ABC has full episodes of Greys online. Good luck!

1 / 3