Vbacs

Hi. I was reading the posts about the pros/cons of inducing labor and it got me thinking. I too was induced (my choice) about 2 days after my due date. We did the cervadil, pitocin, epidural, etc. I was about 6cm and didn't progress much after that. Before I knew it, everyone was running around, getting set up for the C-section. They said the pitocin was causing my baby 'distress'. But now that I look back on it, I think it was only because it was a bit rushed and my body (and baby) wasn't ready yet. My question is, what are my chances of having a vaginal birth the next time around? Do doctors prefer to do repeat C-sections? Is there anything unsafe about trying for vaginal after a C-section?

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my posting on VBACs. I can't believe how much I learned from all of you! You've made me think of things I would have never thought of on my own and how really unprepared I was when I had my son. So many questions I should have asked! I know a few of you recommended a midwife, I actually did have a midwife but looking back, I'm now realizing how much influence the OB/GYN of the office had on her. I thought I had done enough research on inductions, etc. to feel comfortable going through with one, but I don't think I quite understood the potential consequences of it. (That and I regret somewhat doing it for convenience. Clearly a woman's mind is all a fog during pregnancy!) I will keep everyone's advice in mind for the future. Thank you.

S.,

Thanks for posting this. I had the same problem as you, and I HATED the C-Section. Really hated it. So reading the responses has given me hope! Thanks for sharing, because it eased my mind.

I had a c-section with my oldest daughter in 2004 (at 36-1/2 weeks) because I had dangerously high blood pressure, to the point that the baby and I were both in potential jeopardy. When I got pregnant with my second daughter (who just turned one on May 9th), one of the first things the doctor told me is that his/their practice no longer did VBACs ... which meant I didn't have a choice if I stayed with that doctor. I opted for another c-section.

My sister had a c-section with her first child after hours and hours and hours of labor with no progress, and then opted to try VBAC with her second. Unfortunately, her body handled her second labor the same way and she ended up with another c-section. When it came time to deliver her third, she went straight for the c-section.

S.,
Depending what kind of incision was made, horizontal or vertical, for your C-section you most certainly can have a VBAC! (There are other factors they will take into account as well, but if I recall correctly, this was one of the major ones.)

Some hospitals/doctors will not "allow" a VBAC, but in my opinion this just says that they do not have a qualified staff. Our bodies were made to give birth vaginally and it amazes me that just within the past few years, relatively speaking, how many C-sections have been "medically required." If you are really wanting to have a VBAC, please don't let a doctor tell you it's not possible. Look around for someone who is competent enough to do it.

Sorry if any of this sounds harsh, I'm just pretty scepticle of medical professionals. Yes, I gave birth in a hospital with my first baby and will be giving birth in a hospital with my 2nd baby in November. However, I have switched doctors & hospitals for this 2nd pregnancy since I didn't think the first was very interested in me as a patient or a person.

I guess the point is, make sure you're educated about your choices and possibilities. Good luck!

S.,

You will want to talk to your doctor. Some hospitals have policies that don't allow VBACs. My cousin didn't have a choice.
My doctor told me that it was up to me. I just found out yesterday that I will have a second c-section in about a month. Baby #1 was 10 1/2 pounds and baby #2 is 6 1/2 pound with 6 weeks to go.

Good Luck.

I had a C-Section w/ my 1st child (not by choice), and did have 2 very successful VBAC's after that!!!!!
However, it is between you and your doctor and the risks for everyone are different.... I had did have to be monitored closely, during my 1st VBAC (for several different reasons, not due to the previous C-Section)...

Here is a website to help you, but the best advice would come from your doctor!!!!!!!
www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/childbirth/1420895.html

I hope this will be of some help to you!!!!

I had a c-section with my first because he got stuck in my birth canal as I was trying to push him out. VERY PAINFULL!!
I had an emergency c-section and he was 9lbs 1ounce. Which is huge for my very short very small body. When I got pregnant with my second child I told my Dr that I wanted to try to deliver vaginally. He was very supportive and said that if I wanted to try he would but here are the stipulations (this was my Dr so yours may feel different, but its good info.)
He said that he would not induce me since I had had a previous section. The strain an induction puts on a uterus that has been sectioned increases the risk of a rupture. So I would have had to go into labor on my own. Which brought us to another problem... he said that the possibility of a woman going into labor on her own after being induced before is low. Not impossible, just low. And if I waited until I finally went into labor and I had another HUGE baby in me, did I want to go thru all that pain to just end up having another section?
I decided to wait until my ultrasound at 36 weeks to see how big they thought the baby was until I made my decision. Baby was already 7 pounds. Which meant if I went another 4 or 5 weeks I was looking at another big baby and the odds were against me. I opted for the second c-section. Ive had 3 now.
Also he said that little girls tend to be smaller so thats something to keep in mind... we didnt know the sex of our second one, which ended up being a girl. I delivered at 38 weeks and she was 7lbs 14 ounces. The last one also a girl at 8lbs 1 ounce, also 2 weeks early. Still pretty big babies if I had gone full term.....
In the end I think that its a great idea and if you are up for it and the circumstances are right then go for it. I would just make sure you had all the information first so you can make the best decision thats right for you and your hubby!
C-sections recovery is terrible in my opinion and no one wants to be cut open over and over again, but you have to do whats best for you and your baby.

Hi...I had exactly the same thing happen to me with my son...he was born in November (due the 5th, induced on the 7th), because my Dr. was very busy and she thought that if i didn't go into labor soon enough she wouldn't have any induction dates open the next week. So anyway, afte 18 hours of labor with the pitocin, i had only dilated to 2cm. i had an epiural to try to speed things up, and it didn't work. the baby's heartbeat started to slow down, and i had a choice to wait a little longer or have the cesarian. since it was 4am and i was tired and very concerned for my baby, i had the cesarian...I am now pregnant again...and i am wondering if i can have VBAC. I don't even know if my uterus has had time to fully heal...does anyone know if this is too risky to even try for? my baby will only be about 13 months when the next baby is born!

As long as you didn't have any serious complications with your c-section you should be able to have a vaginal delivery the next time around. Tons of women do the VBACs and have no complications with so ever. Hope this helps.

1 / 3