VBAC After 2 C Section

Hi Moms,
Is it possible to have a vbac after two csections? Has anyone had it , and if so how was it?
I want to have more kids, but not through c section.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Hello, it is absolutely possible. I suggest becoming a part of the ICAN group that is on the yahoo groups. It is a bunch of mothers and professionals who have had vbac's. They are so supportive and provide a wealth of information. I am also a childbirth practitioner and have worked with mom's with successful vbacs. It is definitely possible you just need to find a care provider that supports them!

Yes you can do it. I know of several women who have. The only place in the area that will support it is UIC - get an appointment with Dr. Judith Hibbard. Risks for VBA2C are actually not significantly greater than after 1 c-section, and are comparable to those of a 3rd repeat c-section. The Chicago ICAN chapter is a great resource on this topic and their listserv archives have journal references with all of the statistics that you may be interested in. Good luck!

I can't speak to 2 cesarean births but I did VBAC and with only 11 months between births at a hospital considered very high on interventions and not necessarily VBAC friendly. Knowledge is power. Know the circumstances around your previous deliveries in order to make a more informed decision. I had a lot of anxiety around my decision, especially with my births so close. To make a more informed decision and better prepare myself when I finally decided I did a lot if reading. I can provide my reading list if you message me directly. I also joined ICAN's listserv and was able to attend one meeting before going into labor. Not everyone close to me agreed with my decision because of the fears so I really had to actively surround myself with folks supportive of VBAC which also meant finding a doula right for us. I know it's possible to have a VBAC2 so whatever you decide have knowledge behind it.

I'll be attempting my first VBAC with Dr. Theresa Hubka who has a 4% csection rate. She is pro VBAC. Here is some other useful info besides the ICAN Group, the last two links are personal favorites.

The Mayo Clinic put out this video on VBACs http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/c-section/MM00534
This is from the American Pregnancy Association: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/forums/showthread.php?p=...

And if you do not know Oprah's favorite OBGYN, she just posted something on the HuffPost about women taking their rights back:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christiane-northrup/c-secti...

And a couple of great blogs I have found:
http://www.birthcut.com/
http://www.theunnecesarean.com/vbac/

J. W. MPH
Maternal and Child Health Educator

I am currently pregnant with my second child. I had my first by c-section. My doctor told me I have a choice this time, vbac or another c-section. However, he also told me to consider the fact that after I have a second c-section I will no longer have the option of a vbac. That is just what my doctor told me, so I would double check with your own OB/GYN.

I've had 3 c-sections. My 1st went from 23 hours of labor to c-section due to failure to progress. After I had my 1st my OB/GYN lead me to believe that I could do a VBAC. I went 2 weeks overdue (as per usual) and my OB/GYN was on vacation. The OB/GYN on call said I could have never had a VBAC because of the shape/tilt of my uterus and my small pelvis. He let me labor as long as I wanted to because I was so disappointed and could not accept the reality. You really need to research and discuss with your OB/GYN why you couldnt deliver vaginally the 1st time and if it was just temporary conditions or something that cant be changed.

I highly recommend joining the ICAN yahoo group. You can get some good up to date info.

I recently had a successful VBAC after 2 cesareans (VBA2C). It was the best decision I ever made. I went to countless interviews with different providers... Everyone said no. It's pretty hard to find a doctor who will.

I had all my prenatal care with the midwives at UIC. But then had to be transferred to the OB after 35 weeks. That's their policy after 2 cesareans.

I used Hypnobabies (a childbirth hypnosis program) which helped me during labor. Helped me so much, that I didn't know I was further along than I thought I was. My doula assumed I was still in prelabor and was surprised when I told her I felt the babies head. We had no time to go to UIC, so off to the nearest VBAC ban hospital and had my daughter 30 min later!

Visit my blog for more on my journey to my VBA2C: http://craftyguides.blogspot.com/

You can do it! :)

Hi "M."

I do not have experience with VBAC, but I am writing to ask that you forward any helpful information you receive. We don't really get to see all the good answers you get - just the question. I too have had a C-section and would like another child.
My C-section was the most horrible, painful experience of my life and I am not willing to do it again. I'd like to "piggy-back" on your post if that's OK.
Thank you very much.

1 / 3