Unusual Rash on 13 Month Old

My son has a rash. Looks like a sunburn. He hasn't been outside in a long time so it's NOT a sunburn.

Yesterday evening it was in his arm pits, the fold of his elbow, his ears, back of his neck, his back and parts of his torso.

Now, most of that is gone, however, it's everywhere else today. His nose, eyes, cheeks, chin, fingers, arms, lower legs.......

No fever, the rash looks like a sunburn, it does itch him (he's 13 months old and is extra squirmy, and rubs it all the time) where he is rashy -his skin is warm, he has NO fever.

Any ideas??????

Peditrician told us to give him benadryl.......but gezzz, I'm going nuts!

It was probably hives. We e-mailed tons of photos to the pediatrician and he felt pretty confident it was hives from something he was given in the hospital. Last Monday he had surgery to repair his leg. He has psuedoarthrosis so they had to put rods in his tibia and fibula and do a bone graph. He was given TONS of super strong pain meds. So it could have been anything. Poor baby, we couldn't put him in the bath because he is in a body cast. Keep us in your prayers~

Has he had shots lately or been on any medication or tried new food sounds like a allergic reaction, the benedryl is for the itching. Try to remember anything new he has had.

Sounds like perhaps eczyma (SP?) or infitigo (SP?). Both are rashes that are warm to the touch and do not cover the entire body. Infitigo typically will be where there are creases in the body. Crease of elbows, behind knees, crease of the nose, behind ears ect. Hydrocortisone helps to relieve the itchiness. I have also used cool wet washclothes to alleviate the itchiness and pain in the creases of the arms. Hope this helps. I don't know much about eczyma.

If you get it verified by doctor that it is ecemza, we have had much success with clearing it up with Arbonne Baby care and using the sunscreen, call me at ###-###-#### or email me at ____@____.com luck with finding the reason and clearing it up.
K. B

Call your doctor. It's probably one of the childhood viruses like fifth disease. The rash doesn't appear until the fever (and contagiousness) is gone, so he may have had a low grade fever in the days before his rash appeared (without any other symptoms). It means he's probably fine now, but you might want to call anyway, to rule out scarlet fever (a strep infection, basically). By the way daughter tends to get rashes when she gets viruses; apparently some children just react that way. Good luck!
Oh- one other thing: Banana Boat Baby sunscreen gives my daughter a rash- did you use that on him?

Sounds like Hives or heat rash. Or sometimes kids will just get a rash for no reason when they are fighting off a virus. I was just looking up skin conditions the other day. Go to Web MD dot com and they have a column on the left with "Slide Shows". There is a slide show on there of "Skin Conditions" and "Childhood Skin Conditions" You could try to see if it looks like any of those. You could also try putting a topical antihistamine on it too, for the itchiness, like Cortaid or something. Ask the pharmisist what is safe for 13 month olds. Good luck!

ps.. Just saw other response. If it looks like the Scarlet Fever picture on WebMD.. go to the Dr. ASAP!!!!

Could be hives. He may be allergic to something he is coming into contact with. Give him a bath everynight before he goes to bed to wash off any allergens in his skin and wash or change his bedding every day! This may sound psycho but I was told to do this with my "allergic to everything" son and I have noticed a HUGE difference. You might try to look up different rashes on the internet to see if there are any that look like it. You can also use Cortisone as a topical treatment. Be careful with the Benadryl - it can cause hyperness and irritability in small children under the age of 6. My daughter had trouble with it until actually about 4 months ago. If you dont like what your doctor said - get another opinion! Hope that helps a little. E.

My neighbors grandson had the same thing about 2 weeks ago and it ended up being scarlet fevor. The dr told them the same thing, benadryl and it wasn't helping...took him to actually see the dr and the dr said it was scarlet fevor. The dr said it has been going around...might want to check that out.
N.

This sounds like an allergic or contact rash. I would try zyrtec (1 tsp is a reasonable dose for his age) once a day and I bet it will disappear. You can check with your doctor first about the zyrtec just to make sure it is safe for YOUR child. Zyrtec lasts longer than Benadryl and is non sedating in general.

Have you ruled out strep? Last month, our daughter got a similar rash, and I had no idea strep in young kids can show itself as a rash. She was not complaining of feeling ill, was eating and drinking fine, and we had not noticed any fever. But when I took her to the ped, they did a strep test, and sure enough, that's what it was. Another thing a few people told me they thought it could be was roseola, but that rash apparently appears after a high fever. Best of luck.

My mom recently had poison ivy. She was working out in the yard, and got it on her face and neck, but never touched her face and neck while she was outside, so they say it can be airborne. Just a thought.

1 / 3